CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 792 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting - 11/2/2004 1:26:25 PM   
Diplomat

Ditto on the DVD newbie here........... I just bought the NEC drive and burned a couple of backup movie dvd's. Can someone explain to me:

Why I should update the firmware?
How I go about updating the firmware?
And will I be able to backup my Xbox games as a result. For some reason I thought I read on another forum that some firmaware enabled you to do this.?

Sorry if this was asked before but I could not find it on a cursory search.

(in reply to edgarmoon)
Post #: 33
RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting - 11/2/2004 1:55:33 PM   
edgarmoon

Ok, my impatience has overwhelmed my need to have my hand held. I could not find anything under drive options in Nero 6.6.0.1 related to book settings, and when I ran NECWinFlash.exe it only let me change the dl, not sl setting. So, I dumped 2.17 into a bin file with NECWinFlash.exe and used it to flash to 227.bin linked from the start of this thread (you can get the utilities there as well, very helpful). After rebooting I still could not find any way of changing the book setting (or bitsetting, I get confused) in Nero (at least not that version, don't have 6.3.x.x) but NECWinFlash.exe now had the default DVD+R set to DVD-Rom and I was able to change it. Happy happy joy joy.

Tested, DVD burned at 8x (max disk setting) and worked in every thing I tested including my ancient Creative dvd drive (max read speed 2x, fyi)

I have not tried anything with the DVD+RW disks, I got the 8x DVD+R Fuji disks at Bestbuy for about 50 cents a piece so really not concerned. Those disks are what sent me upgrading, my HP DVD200i really couldn't burn them even after the latest firmware, and realistically a third of the disks I made were coasters, took 35 minutes each, and I had to stop everything on teh computer and set the IDE in Pio mode to get the disks readable. I am in heaven now, no coasters to date and 10 minutes a disk to burn.

regarding your questions, I upgraded firmware because I had trouble reading DVD's on older players/drives, currently I did not need anything else from firmware. The beginning of this thread leads you to a thread that provides the utilities and bin files to upgrade, if you don't knwo what your doing, seriously, don't try it. And no, this doesn't let you make copies of protected files. You'll need something like a dvd decryptor program that you can download elsewhere (I think, never tried it myself with Xbox games)

(in reply to Diplomat)
Post #: 34
RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting - 11/2/2004 2:35:09 PM   
emperor

edgarmoon welcome to our forums, the 2.17 doesn't support booktype for DVD+R format, in order to have Booktype you need to use either 2.27 or 2.C8SE, you can easily flash your drive with various firmware, as for warranty, normally the local store doesn't know much about firmware flashing...

(in reply to edgarmoon)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: NEC ND-3500A v2.27 Supports SL DVD+R/RW Bitsetting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI