CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

e2800+ Linux Smartphone Does Video !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1422 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> e2800+ Linux Smartphone Does Video ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
e2800+ Linux Smartphone Does Video ! - 9/24/2004 5:55:57 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hong Kong company E28 has updated their Linux-based smartphone to the e2800+, offering full multimedia in a compact package.

E28's second Linux-based smartphone, the e2800+, now boasts up to 10 hours of video recording capability in addition to a number of other improved features.

A 98 x 59 x 27 mm clamshell weighing 126 grams, the e2800+ runs a heavily customized Linux-based OS, a design that has been growing in popularity in Asian markets. Atop the Linux kernel, E28 has placed an impressive array of features beginning with a video recorder capable of recording up to 10 hours of video (space and battery permitting) in MPEG4, H.263, 3GP, or MP4 formats. The camera, embedded into the top flip portion of the phone and functioning either forward-facing or toward the user, can also take still images at 0.3 megapixels (VGA resolution) in JPG, GIF, GIFa, PNG, BMP, or wBMP formats, making it one of the most format-flexible cameras to date.

A built-in image editor lets users modify images before saving or printing them, while Photo Direct Print offers PictBridge support to print directly to many photo printers. It also includes an audio player that supports MP3, Midi, and AMR audio formats, although surprisingly not Ogg Vorbis. A built-in voice recorder with 30 minute capacity rounds out the multimedia features.

To store all of that multimedia the phone includes an SD/MMC card slot, while to display it the e2800+ sports a 65 thousand color (dithered) QVGA 240 x 320 TFT display measuring 2.4 inches. Not surprisingly for such a smartphone, it also includes photo caller ID and offers Java MIDP 1.0 support. Other bundled software includes an HTML 3.2 and Javascript capable web browser, a WAP 2.0 browser, SMS/MMS/EMS client, and a POP3-capable e-mail client with support for up to four accounts. It also includes an e-book reader that supports the industry-backed but not widely used OEB format as well as the open and widely supported but basic PalmDoc format. There is also the usual assortment of PIM applications.

The e2800+ runs on a 300 MHz ARM9 processor and is compatible with GSM 900/1800 MHz networks. Data connectivity is provided by GPRS, naturally. The included battery is rated for 4 hours talk time or 100 hours standby. The smartphone supports both English and Chinese handwriting input, and includes a dual-language translator. E28 has also stated that they plan on continuing to use the GNU/Linux platform for later phones on 2.75G and 3G networks.

The e2800+ is available now in Hong Kong, although pricing information is not available.

More pictures...

Source : InfoSyncWorld

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> e2800+ Linux Smartphone Does Video ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI