CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 482 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette - 12/22/2002 9:12:55 PM   
roguedog

Hey all,

Have a systems that I am looking at for a friend...

It is Win 98 on an Intel P2 350 w/ Intel Se440bx mobo. 128 mb ram. The HD is SCSI as well as the Pioneer CD ROM and the Yamaha CDRW.

I haven't worked much with SCSI...

Win 98/bios recognise the HD fine and assigned it C: but it never seems to assign the Pioneer or the Yamaha drive letters. I have gone into the registry to try and force it to assign a letter but it never stays... Same thing when I try the "easy" way of going into Device Mgr and properties to assign it a Drive Letter... It looks assigned but it doesn't show up as a drive when I go into My COmputer.

Maybe it helps.. but I noticed in the registry that drive letters are assigned to 2 zip drives that aren't always attached..?

Uh.. any help would be GREATLY appreciated by me and my hair!

Happy holidays all!

rd

PS. Oh, btw, if it wasn't clear .. I'm not sure if "not detected" is actually correct as it is "seen" in device manager but NOT in My Computer. Uh.. help??
Post #: 1
RE: SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette - 12/26/2002 3:24:24 AM   
Michael Lee

SCSI is a little more complicated than IDE devices. Assuming that your SCSI chain is terminated, all devices on the bus should be recognized by the SCSI bios. The SCSI card loads its own bios before Windows is loaded. If you can only see the hard drive but not the cdrom and cdrw drives, you should check your SCSI ID setting on your rom drives. My best guess is that both drives are set to the same ID number and the computer cannot defferentiate them. What type of SCSI card are you using?

The fastest computer is not necessary a good running computer.

(in reply to roguedog)
Post #: 2
RE: SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette - 12/27/2002 6:30:33 AM   
Michael Lee

SCSI ID can be set from 0 to 15. ID 7 is used by the SCSI card, don't set you device ID to 7. You want to set your hard drive to ID 0 or 1 because they should boot up first. When your computer is booting up, the SCSI bios should identify what ID the hard drive is using or you can look at it in the device manger inside the Control Panel. Once you know that you can set you SCSI cdrom and burner accordingly. Remember you cannot set them to the same ID. Just like on the IDE bus, you cannot have two masters or two slaves on the same bus. The SCSI ID is set using hexadecimal code, check your manual to find out how to set it. SCSI 2 devices can be set from 0 to 7. SCSI 3 device can be set from 0 through 15.

The fastest computer is not necessary a good running computer.

(in reply to roguedog)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> SCSI CD ROM and CDRW not detected - no drive lette Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI