CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Some Microsoft Customers Will Get to See Office Code!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 891 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Some Microsoft Customers Will Get to See Office Code! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Microsoft Customers Will Get to See Office Code! - 9/20/2004 6:39:51 AM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft plans to announce today that it will give dozens of governments and international agencies access to the programming code in its Office desktop software, including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and e-mail programs.

The move is the latest step by Microsoft to share its technology more openly with large customers in response to the rising popularity of open-source software like the Linux operating system.

In open-source projects, the source code - rendered in a programming language like C or Java - is distributed free, and improved and debugged by a network of software developers. Many customers find it valuable to see the inner workings of the software that they use in their businesses, and the appeal of sharing technology has forced Microsoft to modify its proprietary practices. Microsoft began selectively sharing its source code a few years ago, in what it calls a shared-source program.

The company has used the sharing program to change the way it handles its intellectual property without changing the way it does business. Microsoft allows some corporations, governments, universities and industry partners to study its source code, but they are not allowed to change or redistribute the code - a restriction that does not apply in true open-source projects.
Full story...

Source : NYTimes
Post #: 1
RE: Some Microsoft Customers Will Get to See Office Code! - 9/20/2004 7:06:37 AM   
sp

Too litle, too late, i'm afraid.
With ie's share droping each month, ms office being kept nearly identical over the latest two releases (for example access has the same exactly bugs it had 4 years ago!), lamp (linux/apatsi/mysql/php) doubling it's server share the last 2 years, it seems indeed too litle, too late.

In fact nobody except gamers needs windows these days, and there are indeed persons who will not use it, even if they were paid to do so!

(Last time I checked, ms-office revenews where dropping at about $300milion/quarter!)

< Message edited by sp -- 9/20/2004 7:09:27 AM >

WM # CI

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Some Microsoft Customers Will Get to See Office Code! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI