CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Longhorn Locked Against Theft By iPod!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1477 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Longhorn Locked Against Theft By iPod! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Longhorn Locked Against Theft By iPod! - 9/13/2004 7:15:58 AM   
WinThusiast

MICROSOFT is working on technology that will give companies more control over whether to prohibit devices that can easily be used to transfer data to and from personal computers.

The technology is due to appear in next version of Windows, dubbed Longhorn, due out in 2006. As devices including Apple's popular iPods become capable of holding more data, some worry people could use them to steal data or unleash virus attacks on business networks.

Microsoft's goal is to have a system where people can use devices that help them in their work - such as a smart phone full of professional contacts - but not storage devices that could be used to quickly steal data, said Greg Sullivan, a lead product manager.

Mr Sullivan said the company introduced an early version of this technology with Service Pack 2, the security upgrade for the Windows XP perating system completed in early August. But that system works more by "brute force," Mr Sullivan said, and the eventual goal is to make it easier and more refined. He said the technology was in the planning stages and offered few details.

The technology is part of Microsoft's broader efforts to improve security. The company has tried hard over the last several years to make devices interact easily with Windows, Mr Sullivan said, "and now it's incumbent on us also to make sure we're responding to user needs with regard to security."

Source : Australian IT
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Longhorn Locked Against Theft By iPod! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI