CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1334 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/15/2004 6:22:41 AM   
fjorger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kogos

Ok, for your answers:

1. There is no rip-lock in 3500A since it can read at 16X maximum speed with no problem...

Hi "Kogos"

Well they were probably talking about "DL reading" both DVD-ROM and DVD+R DL, and also CSS discs. Nec is quite slow when reading those disc types.

Regards,

FJorgeR.

PS: Can I ask you something? How did you manage to get your hands on a Nec 2.07 ?

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 33
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/15/2004 6:54:52 AM   
kogos

quote:

ORIGINAL: fjorger

Hi "Kogos"

Well they were probably talking about "DL reading" both DVD-ROM and DVD+R DL, and also CSS discs. Nec is quite slow when reading those disc types.

Regards,

FJorgeR.

About DL reading speed, there is no way to increase reading speed without applying unofficial firmware...

quote:

ORIGINAL: fjorger
PS: Can I ask you something? How did you manage to get your hands on a Nec 2.07 ?

If you are a CDRInfo team member, you can manage anything... So, version 2.07 was not hard to find for us....

(in reply to fjorger)
Post #: 34
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/15/2004 7:21:14 AM   
cheeseandbun

[/quote]

Ok, for your answers:

1. There is no rip-lock in 3500A since it can read at 16X maximum speed with no problem...

2. Wait for the review for a comparison... for now, i can only say that NEC is surely faster, because of the CLV writing strategy the Pioneer uses...

3. Official firmwares allow only DL media booktype changes...
[/quote]

ok....

1. if there no rip-lock in the 3500A, what are these guys on about:
http://www.extrememhz.com/nd3500a-p8.shtml

2. ive been waiting for the NEC 3500 review and the possible (firware) updated Pioneer 108 for a while now. i can wait no longer...hence the questions! i heard that the NEC is faster but i hear the Pioneer burns superior quality discs. Speed really isnt much of an issue as the difference is only measured in seconds - quality is the determaining factory here.

3. thank you

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 35
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/15/2004 8:50:26 AM   
kogos

quote:

ORIGINAL: cheeseandbun

1. if there no rip-lock in the 3500A, what are these guys on about:
http://www.extrememhz.com/nd3500a-p8.shtml

2. ive been waiting for the NEC 3500 review and the possible (firware) updated Pioneer 108 for a while now. i can wait no longer...hence the questions! i heard that the NEC is faster but i hear the Pioneer burns superior quality discs. Speed really isnt much of an issue as the difference is only measured in seconds - quality is the determaining factory here.

3. thank you

1. i already answered this one... for CSS video ripping and DL ripping, you can increase the speed only with unofficial firmwares... On the other hand, NEC 25x0 firmwares included rip-lock for normal DVD-R/-RW/+r/+rw media, that is not included in 3500 firmwares...

2. No need to wait... you can see the new TDK 1616N that is NEC 3500 OEM, just to take a small taste of what is coming next, with the NEC 3500 review...

3. You're welcome

(in reply to cheeseandbun)
Post #: 36
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/16/2004 9:23:43 PM   
Nelson8

NEC is the OEM for TDK .... no doubt about that

(in reply to kogos)
Post #: 37
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/16/2004 10:18:24 PM   
dutchdragoon

I have a question-it sounds to me like unofficial firmware carries a lot of advantages, such as increased ripping speed, +r SL booktype setting, and increased media compatability-WHY doesn't NEC come out with official firmware supporting such features-isn't their goal to make their products as good as possible? Especially something like the +r SL booktype setting support-I mean the drive is apparently capable of doing it for SL, so why not support it for SL as well as DL? What is their motive? Also, do you think their official firmware will EVER come out support for any of these features, including the SL booktype setting thing?

edit: Another question: for users who don't care about +r SL booktype support, don't care much about ripping speeds, and don't care about compatability with cheap media (since they buy decent media like verbatim) is it necessary to update firmware at all?

< Message edited by dutchdragoon -- 9/16/2004 10:21:25 PM >

(in reply to Nelson8)
Post #: 38
RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 - 9/17/2004 3:23:42 AM   
emperor

NEC won't support DVD-Video Bitsetting since this is against the DVD-Forum specs, and since NEC is a founder member of DVD-Forum follow the specs by letter...The same applies for other Japanese manufacturers, like Plextor, Sanyo, etc...

(in reply to dutchdragoon)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: New Firmware for NEC 3500A: v2.07 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI