CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 897 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/7/2004 8:19:03 AM   
SiliconFreak

Vodafone Greece has unveiled its network performance during the Olympic Games, stating that customers have sent 115 million SMS messages during the days of the sports events.

During the period from August 13 to 29, the company's network handled more than 5.3 million GPRS sessions, presenting an increase of 250 per cent compared to the respective period last year.

Overall traffic in the GPRS network during the sports events exceeded 290 million bytes, out of which 75 million bytes (or more than 25 per cent) concerned volumes of data coming from visitors using the 71 foreign networks associated with Vodafone.

The operator added that it received more than 36,000,000 Vodafone live! hits. Vodafone live! related markets presented an increase of 90 per cent, compared to the period before the Games. Its customer service centre answered more than 735,000 calls that concerned requests from company subscribers in Greece and abroad.

The use of Vodafone Group's Prepaid Roaming Top-Up (PPRTU) service for foreign prepaid telephony subscribers rose by 35 per cent, compared to the period before the events started.

In the period from August 13 to 29, Vodafone's telecom network carried off more than 35 million minutes of voice time in areas where leading sports evens were held.

Meanwhile, after a poor start to Vodafone's 3G service in Spain in May, the Spanish unit has announced to relaunch the service by the end of the year. At the launch in May, the operator offered only one handset, the Samsung Z105, for EUR599.

According to a news report, Vodafone Spain will invest EUR2.8 billion in the country over the next five years. The report cited Vodafone Spain's CEO, Francisco Roman, as saying that alone this year, it will spend EUR615 million, with around 50 per cent of the amount going towards its 3G network.

Source : eWirelessNews
Post #: 1
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/7/2004 3:24:43 PM   
sp

quote:

...During the period from August 13 to 29, the company's network handled more than 5.3 million GPRS sessions, ...

This is 5,300,000 x 128 bytes =(about)= 660,000 Kbytes = 660Mbytes = 0.66 GBytes

Thats 2% of the daily trafic of CdrInfo.com!!!
(Compression included...:)))

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/7/2004 3:49:30 PM   
SiliconFreak

Just one question if I may,sp? Where the He** did You get those 128bytes per session?

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/8/2004 5:12:05 AM   
sp

It's the upper limit of an SMS.

WM # CI

Post #: 4
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/8/2004 8:17:39 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahaha...i was hoping You would say that...

So OK...let it be 128 bytes per SMS...BUT...they were talking about GPRS SESSIONS...not about SMS sent...

Or is each GPRS session also only 128bytes long? (just kidding...dont take it too seriously!)

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 5
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/9/2004 4:04:42 AM   
sp

You arew correct!
I thought I read SMS.

Anyway, 290,000,000 bytes is still about half of this site's traffic over the same time period:)))

WM # CI

Post #: 6
RE: Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! - 9/9/2004 6:07:10 AM   
SiliconFreak

At least once that i am right...

But still not match for our traffic, huh? I said it before and I'll say it again...CDRInfo is NR.1 in all aspects!

Cya arround.

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Vodafone Unveiled Olympic Network Performance! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI