CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 713 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! - 9/1/2004 4:42:08 AM   
SiliconFreak

The Blu-Ray Disc Association said Tuesday that it will require Microsoft's VC-1 video codec, based on Windows Media, to be included in the read-only BD-ROM spec.
Blu-Ray, backed by companies like Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Philips and Matsushita will require the codec to be used in playback equipment. The rival HD DVD format, backed by NEC and Toshiba, has already endorsed the VC-1 codec in its own specification.

"We've been committed to adding advanced codecs to enrich the Blu-ray Disc format," said Maureen Weber, general manager of HP's optical storage solutions business and a member of the Blu-Ray group, in a statement. "We want to offer content providers a variety of compression codecs to suit their various needs. With the addition of Microsoft's VC-1, we extend that option in a package that makes Blu-ray Disc's capacity advantage even more substantial while still delivering the picture quality that consumers demand from high-definition technology."

Microsoft will maintain its neutral position in supporting the emerging high definition video formats, said Amir Majidimehr, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Windows Media division, in a statement.

Source : ExtremeTech
Post #: 1
RE: Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! - 9/1/2004 4:06:55 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

so we can expect Linux support to be very poor then?

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! - 9/1/2004 5:40:54 PM   
T3TRISizer

Microsoft is gaining even more ground in this story if someone asks me ...they buy or get involved into new technologies by using some other strange methods...and...they are again on top...earning even more $$$... Because Blu-Ray sure is gonna be big thing in near future ....millions and millions of $$$ to be earned....so...M$ knows well what is it doing....dont You never doubt in that...

Cya around...bye.

P.S.

And for Linux...my condolence...You lost again...missed it by an inch...

< Message edited by T3TRISizer -- 9/1/2004 5:42:33 PM >

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 3
RE: Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! - 9/1/2004 5:54:53 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

luckily I don't use linux... but I do sympathize with the open source movement

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to T3TRISizer)
Post #: 4
RE: Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! - 9/2/2004 4:46:19 AM   
sp

The inclusion of this codec is critical.

MS will introduce next year (according to gates sayings) internet tv.
It is vital to have a hold on the encoding/decoding process irrespectively of the transportation/storage medium (tcp/ip, dvd-like formats).

This will result to a reduced time of content introduction into the market with an expected first release on the MS-controlled platforms.

WM # CI

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Blu-Ray Group Selects Microsoft Codec! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI