CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Storage Problems with Cdrs   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1362 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Storage Problems with Cdrs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/29/2004 4:47:12 PM   
Vega

Hi

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem....I'm storing some of my cdrs in 200 disc zipper wallets, and I've noticed that some of the discs have developed a stippled effect on their surface. The marks correspond with the dimple pattern on the gauze of the sleeve itself. They are difficult to get off even with polishing. Any ideas why it happened, and should I move them something else?

Cheers
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 8/29/2004 5:36:21 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Vega)
  Post #: 2
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/30/2004 7:39:42 AM   
Vega

Hi Minos

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 3
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/30/2004 7:44:24 AM   
Vega

Hi Again

Posted last meesage too quick. Seems a shame about the zipper folders, but can see what you mean about them getting scratched up. Don't think this is scratched though....strange effect on surface of discs matching the background gauze. Weird. Now what can I do about storage space?. Thanks again

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 8/30/2004 9:09:44 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Vega)
  Post #: 5
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/30/2004 11:50:43 AM   
Vega

Hi Minos

Well I thought I'd scan a disc to show you what I mean...ok with first image this is on TDK CD-R... look at at left hand side, you should be able to see a pattern. Now the second picture is of a sleeve...the pattern looks the same to me. Not I think a problem with the dye, but some interaction with the sleeve?

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 6
[Deleted] - 8/30/2004 4:58:38 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Vega)
  Post #: 7
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/31/2004 12:46:32 PM   
Vega

Hi Minos

Yep definately we meant the same thing! Well I think you're probably right, perhaps the only way to solve this problem is not to use them. Is a shame though becuase it saved me a wful lot of disc space...Oh well

Cheers
V

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 8
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/31/2004 1:46:10 PM   
digitaldoc

I've had the pattern of the cloth imprint onto the disc also. It doesn't interfere with the reading in my experience, although one would think that it would. Some of the better zipper cases have tiny felt dots that seem less likely to imprint onto the discs. The jewel cases are still the best storage, but they take up too much space.

TNL
LiteOn 1693S review
Plextor 740A review
BTC DVDRW 1008
LiteOn 852S

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 9
[Deleted] - 8/31/2004 3:37:47 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to digitaldoc)
  Post #: 10
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/31/2004 4:32:42 PM   
Halcyon

I'd suspect acid or solvent (from the manufacturing or the plastics).

Most sleeves are not archival rated and may contains acids/solvent. These may leave marks on the surface, depending on where the sleeves touch the discs (dimples).

I'm in the process of trying to find archival quality sleeves, with no-dimples (but microfiber random pattern) inside the sleeves.

It's proving to be a touch job as resellers and importers don't seem to know diddly squat about the things they have for sale :)

Yes, space is also at premium for me. I love sleeve folder for their space savings and relatively easy browsing of the contents.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 11
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 8/31/2004 5:31:29 PM   
Vega

Hi Everyone

Well thanks for all the responses guys I think you could be on the right track Halcyon, and if you find any archival quality sleeves let me know

I have to say it doesn't surprise me that resellers and importers know diddly squat about such things....usually when you ask them this kind of question, their eyes glaze over, the mouth drops open in stupid confusion and they finally ask you 'What does archival mean?' They think all you'd want to know is how many you can cram into the thing....oh and possibly the colour!

Ho hum

Stay cool everyone
V

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 12
[Deleted] - 9/1/2004 2:08:38 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Vega)
  Post #: 13
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 9/4/2004 4:43:00 PM   
Vega

Hi Everyone

Just as a little postscript to this cdr problem, I've been having. Well I've taken them out of the offending zipper case and have temporarily stored them in anything vaguely resembling a cd case (all 200 of them). Actually I was telling my tale of woe to someone at work, and he said I wished I'd talked to you two days earlier, I've just ordered some of these cases for my cds Ho hum, pehrap he might get lucky....although he did suggest that putting acid paper lining in them might stop it? Seems a bit a bind cutting inserts for 200 cds mind you

Have fun
V

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 14
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 9/13/2004 4:45:14 AM   
Halcyon

The best archival quality CD Binder folders / sleeves / cases I've been able to find so far:

University Products ArchivalWare 8-CD Page Storage Binder
http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/user-cgi/display.cgi?id=2927

ArchivalWare 8-CD Corrosion Intercept pages (pocket sleeves)
http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/user-cgi/display.cgi?id=2930

Univenture Unikeep Full size CD 80 folder
http://www.univenture.com/acatalog/unikeep_binders.html

Univenture Black 8-CD Archival Safety-Sleeve binder pages w/ tabs for Unikeeps
http://www.univenture.com/cgi-bin/sh000000.pl?PREVQUERY=SS%3darchival%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%20&PN=binder_pages%2ehtml%23a100340010#a100340010

They should both be archival quality (both pockets and outer shell including manufacturing process).

I have not found a comparative review of those two, but they seem to be two trustworthy names and the materials are what they should be.

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 15
RE: Storage Problems with Cdrs - 9/13/2004 7:32:05 AM   
Halcyon

I dug up a little bit more on this issue.

It appears that many if not most cd jewel cases are made of a polymer compound called ABS. This is used with plasticicers to make it more flexible (esp. the center crown that locks the cd disc into place).

These plasticicers can work as catalysts in the corrosive process of the multiple polymer layers of a cd disc.

Jonathan Farley, who's done a study on the Corrosion Intercept inserts (and swears by them), has measured pH drop down to 2 inside the microclimate of an ABS made cd jewel case.

This is clearly something that you do not want happening to your archival quality discs (gold layer or not).

As such, he does not recommend any standard jewel cases for archival purposes.

Either corrosion resistant sleeves (like the Corrosion Intercept ones) or then proper polymer composite made jewel cases (e.g. from metaledgeinc.com) are suggested as better alternatives.

So, it looks like the jury is still out on this one, but in summary it looks like:

- standard jewel cases can be death traps for 5+ years storage of even good quality cds (if made with plasticicers)

- there are good sleeve pocket disc holders as well (like the ArchivalWare Corrosion Intercept one)

- there are better jewer cases available that should be "safe" for archival storage

I hope that helps if somebody is searching for longevity , archival or storage life issues on CD-R / DVD-R here are CDRInfo forums.

best regards,
Halcyon

PS I ordered a set of both ArchivalWare CI and Unikeep Safety-Sleeve folders myself to see if they are good in mechanical protection terms.

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Storage Problems with Cdrs Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI