DMA was enabled (before this mess) and helped.
I freed up more space, gonna get bigger drive when I can.
CD rom on seconadary IDE, I learned why a few years back.
I dust out the pc's about every 6 months, dont look bad before I do. Both have good airflow.
I run Ad-aware every few weeks, systems ok.
Same cd-r brand, no problems with them.
Ran scandisk and defrag last week and still have problems.
I'm leary about updating firmware on componets, I cant afford to buy new one if I mess something up like that. I dont know how to do that.
I'll try image when I can.
I replaced supposely bad burner with new one, only hardware I had changed.
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep posting with my progress.