CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 788 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! - 8/26/2004 8:53:40 AM   
SiliconFreak

The recording industry continued its onslaught of lawsuits against illegal filesharers yesterday, filing suit against hundreds of computer users who allegedly make music available online.
The Recording Industry Association of America - the music industry's lobbying group — said it filed suit against 744 individuals who use peer-to-peer platforms to distribute music in violation of copyright law. The networks include eDonkey, Limewire, Grokster and Kazaa, the RIAA said.

Of the 744 suits, 152 were filed against named defendants —individuals who were identified during the litigation process but declined to settle the cases with the RIAA.

The rest were so-called "John Doe" lawsuits against unnamed defendants. Suits were filed in Atlanta, St. Louis, Oakland, New York, Austin, Tex., Covington, Ky., Denver, Trenton, N.J., and Madison, Wi.

The RIAA begin filing lawsuits against individuals last fall, and to date has sued some 4,700 people. Many have settled their cases for around $3,000 each.

The group has also targeted college campuses, suing students at schools such as New York University, Villanova and the University of Pennsylvania.

Since the suits began last year, the industry has seen signs that more people are hesitant to download music due the potential legal repercussions.

Source : NY Post
Post #: 1
RE: RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! - 8/26/2004 7:03:29 PM   
MP3Mogul

If you have been using these programs, you can go here: http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/ and see if you are on the list!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! - 8/27/2004 7:44:46 AM   
SiliconFreak

Huhhhh...lucky me I guess...not on the list (YET)...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! - 8/27/2004 7:57:40 AM   
emperor

let me check,haha, never used those P2P programs anyway

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> RIAA Sues 744 Music Pirates! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI