CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Internet Crashes In Sri Lanka!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1240 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Internet Crashes In Sri Lanka! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Internet Crashes In Sri Lanka! - 8/22/2004 6:09:20 PM   
SiliconFreak

The Internet connection to Sri Lanka crashed completey from late Saturday night following major damage to the submarine cable that connects the island to the global network. Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) sources said that the damage was caused by a ship and that it may take more than 24 hours to repair the cable.
In a message to it's users, SLTnet said: "We have lost connectivity to global Internet due to failure in the international submarine cable system. All measures have been taken to normalise this as early as possible."

"An additional but limited capacity satellite uplink has been made to manage the information flow crisis caused by the crash, particularly when people go to their offices, banks universities etc.," SLTnet officials said.

Sri Lanka Telecom's (SLT) connectivity to the outside world is through Mount Lavania landing point of undersea SEA-ME-WE-III (SMW-III, South East Asia- Middle East – Western Europe) fibre optic cable link managed by French and Singapore telecom. The SMW-III network supports 40Gbps bandwidth with two fiber pairs using SDH (Synchronous Digital Hierarchy) covering 41 landing points in 35 countries.

Source : TamilNet
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Internet Crashes In Sri Lanka! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI