CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minutes!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1531 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minutes!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minutes!!! - 8/18/2004 7:14:58 PM   
SiliconFreak

The average unpatched Windows PC lasts less than 20 minutes on the Internet before it's compromised, according to data from the Internet Storm Center.

Part of the SANS Institute, the Storm Center calculated the average "lifespan" of an unpatched, unprotected PC by listening to IP addresses and tallying the number of probes run against them. "If you are assuming that most of these reports are generated by worms that attempt to propagate, an unpatched system would be infected by such a probe," the Storm Center said in a statement.

In June 2003, the "survival time" of an unpatched PC was approximately 40 minutes. As of Wednesday, the average was less than half that: only 16 minutes.

Some systems, naturally, will have longer or shorter life spans. Users whose ISPs block ports typically used by popular worms report a much longer survival time, said the Center, while users of high-speed services are often specifically targeted by bot networks sniffing for broadband-connected PCs to compromise and turn into spam or denial-of-service platforms. "The main issue here is of course that the time to download critical patches will exceed this survival time," said the Internet Storm Center.

The under-20 minute period isn't long enough to pull down major updates, such as Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), acknowledged Joe Wilcox, an analyst with Jupiter Research, in an online posting. Wilcox recommended reading the Internet Storm Center's guide, "Windows XP: Surviving the First Day," which details how to enable Windows' firewall before connecting to the Internet.

"Don't connect an unpatched PC to the Internet without enabling some kind of firewall," Wilcox wrote. "For some consumers and small businesses without technical know-how, the only option might be patching the system via Automatic Update and then running antivirus software to remove any worms or Trojan horses."

Source : Internet Week
Post #: 1
RE: Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minu... - 8/18/2004 8:49:42 PM   
emperor

Go go microsoft, make simple users PC totally defendless to internet virus and exploits

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minu... - 8/19/2004 4:06:57 AM   
sp

and also make anti-virus writers rich.

< Message edited by sp -- 8/19/2004 9:32:38 AM >

WM # CI

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minu... - 8/19/2004 8:13:36 AM   
scuba_steve

About two weeks ago I installed WinXP SP1 on my cousin's PC, and after installation I connected to the internet via dialup isdn to download the necessary updates. About one minute after I connected, the known message that pc will shutdown in one minute appeared. So much for 20 minutes :).

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minu... - 8/19/2004 9:26:44 AM   
SiliconFreak

Its getting harder and harder lately to be an average PC user...constantly bombarded with all patches,updates and other useless junk...

I wonder if some insurance company offers some kind of 'Insurance of dying behind PC while trying to get system patched and updated' !???

Maybe Microsoft should get into insurance business itself...but then again...dont know if thats such a good idea...because...they would try to fix, patch and 'update' even those who died 10 years ago...just to make sure they wont need to payout the insurance ammount...

(in reply to scuba_steve)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Unpatched PC "Survival Time" Just 16 Minutes!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI