CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Sony CD-R's?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1439 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Sony CD-R's? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sony CD-R's? - 11/20/2002 2:04:12 AM   
monkuboy

Someone bought me a spindle of 32X "GQ" brand cd-r's from Fry's. Just the looks of the thing made me shudder but to my surprise, cdr-identifier says the discs are manufactured by Sony!

Does Sony made cd-r's? I thought they bought from other manufacturers. So assuming they are indeed made by Sony, is that a good thing? [B)]
Post #: 1
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/20/2002 3:08:44 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I had some Sony CD-Rs, they were like this:

Manufacturer: Ricoh
ATIP: 97m27s66f
Characteristics: 74min Sony/Blue
Disc #: R0610430605D
Hub #: 66R911178771C16

I didn't like them, but I'm pretty sure yours arn't the same!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/20/2002 4:21:18 AM   
Iczer

I have some Sony Cdrs:
Manufacturer : Sony
Code : 97m24s11f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB

I didn't have any problems with them so far.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/20/2002 4:39:06 PM   
rjw

Well Sony's owns an own atip and also has there own dye type. However they don't have a factory for making disc's. So the Sony Sony disc's are made in the factories of Lead Data with Sony stampers and there own chemical composition of the dye. .
Also Sony uses disc's from Mitsui and TY and Ricoh but they have the ATIP CODE of Mitsui and TY and Ricoh.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/21/2002 3:08:12 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

that's SOOO confusing! How can you keep all this info straight?

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/21/2002 3:46:08 PM   
BillyG

This is the CDID of a 40X "GQ Great Quality" 80 min CD-R.

ATIP: 97m 26s 56f
Disc Manufacturer: Lead Data Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

The quality seems a bit better than the 32X I have encountered. The dye color has been changed from blue/green to yellow. The label design is very simular to Sony. I didnt know there was a connection between the two companies until now! I have burned them at 40X with my Memorex (Lite-On) 48Maxx. With Nero the speed started at 12X and slowly went up to 32X by the end of the burn. OK quality - good for backup music CD's for the car but I wouldnt trust them for anything I want to keep for a couple years.

Fry's were selling these in a 10 back with slimline jewel cases for $2.99! I needed the jewel cases and it was cheaper to buy these with CD-R's than buy them with out!

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/21/2002 4:51:30 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Billy G: How do they test under Nero CD Speed?

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/21/2002 8:19:47 PM   
rjw

Yes it might be strange that Sony has no own factory for cd-r's and does have factories for cd-roms and cd's which production lines could be used with some small changes for the makeing of cd-r's. But at this point Sony might be very smart for not haveing a complete factory since the over capacity in the cd-r market and the big price for setting up a factory or for improving there lines and if the Sony atip is used then we are still technically speaking of Sony cd-r's.
Now Lead Data knows that they will sell these disc's for a better price as there own low priced media and Sony gets cheaper media as they can produce themselves and so both parties are happy.

Maybe I should make a Topic or even a complete article of weird stuff in cd-r media bussiness if people are interested.
You wouldn't know what strange things there have been arround or what strange things have been said.
So let me know if there is interest in this weird world of cd-r bussiness.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 2:56:48 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

rjw: I would be VERY interested in an article written by you on this subject! Hopefully John would put it up on the site as well! I'll even print a copy and hang it on my store wall!

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 12:00:55 PM   
Clint

Correct rjw, nice work. I use Sony CD-R's here on a daily basis and find them to be of very high quality and work well with the CRW-F1, LTR-48125W and PX-W4824TA and those are my main recorders. They also produce a pretty low C1 error rate when written with the PleXWriter 48/24/48A or Yami CRW-F1. The only slight 'problem' I have with them is there surface coat isn't as durable as say, the Verbatim DataLifePlus's, but if you look after them marginally, they last very well.

The older Sony "XO" (eXcellent Optical technology, as Sony marketed it as) was infact produced by Ricoh (Phthalocyanine Dye), and all the newer Sony SUPREMAS (Super Precise Mastering And Stamping) is in fact Sony media, but produced in the Lead Data factory, these are Cyanine Dye, and the type depends on the rated speed. E.g. 16X is type 1, whilst the 24X is type 2 etc...

There are Mitsui and TY Sony's out there (as rjw pointed out earlier) but I haven't seen 'em here in OZ...

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 12:05:44 PM   
BillyG

quote:
Originally posted by Dolphinius_Rex

Billy G: How do they test under Nero CD Speed?

I just checked and CD Speed showed ZERO errors! I scanned a GQ copy of a 58 minute music CD that I burned at 40x using Nero, smartburn on.

Perhaps I should make a 78-80 minute CD-R and check again? Or a data CD-R? This was my first time with the program and wasnt sure how to use it.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 5:05:55 PM   
monkuboy

Thanks everyone for sharing your information. I'm surprised the quality seems so good because frankly, a "bargain" brand from Fry's whose packaging even looks cheap makes me suspicious. Does anything good come from Fry's? [:X]

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 9:01:50 PM   
rjw

I have a Sony CDQ-74P1 over here in Plastic 1-16x which is made by Taiyo Yuden. (I can see this by just looking at the package. How good am I. [[:o)]and I also have on SONY CDQ 80N1 1-16x which has the atip of sony corp still in plastic. Now I can also see that this is a Sony SONY/LEADATA disc from the outside.[:o)] I also can identify Sony Mitsui disc's by just looking at the outside box.[:o)].
By the way most Sony Taiyo Yuden disc's I have seen are 650 mb disc's.

Now to say Sony Sony disc's are good is a to big word. Since I have seen not so good results today and also in some additional tests and Yes we used also the drives you listed and a couple of others and these drives can perform excellent with other media.

By the way Clint what program/hardware did you use for the C1 errors meassurements ?

One additional point I have big doubts about what NERO SPEED is returning. At this moment I don't trust the error checks.

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/22/2002 10:39:53 PM   
BillyG

quote:
Originally posted by monkuboy

Thanks everyone for sharing your information. I'm surprised the quality seems so good because frankly, a "bargain" brand from Fry's whose packaging even looks cheap makes me suspicious. Does anything good come from Fry's? [:X]

Fry's does have excellent deals now and then, its just they promote the cheap crap over the good stuff. Just got fridays circular and a 50 pack of 40X GQ CD-R's is going for 7 bucks, no rebate.

Just dont buy Fry's generic memory - a freind killed his motherboard with it. Luckily the motherboard was still under warranty, and he was able to get a new one.

My only guess is that the Sony deal has forced Lead Data to improve thier quality. I have read that many of the smaller Tiawanese CD-R companies are having financial troubles so they got to make better CD-R's or go under.[xx(]

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/23/2002 5:03:40 AM   
Clint

I use a combination of the programs you can find in our Writing Quality article, and then compare by finding a sort-of "average" result measured by those tools, to judge my results. I use several drives to analyse the C1/C2/BLER etc., such as my PX-W4824A/2410A, LTR-48125W, and CRW-F1DX. Also I use my TEAC CD-W54E becuase it has the best error correction of any drive I have *EVER* seen or used, even if it is only a 4/4/32 CD-RW drive.

I essentially do not have access to proper CD-R analysers all the time, but I have used a few of them

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Sony CD-R's? - 11/28/2002 10:14:12 AM   
adelphia83

Actually not ALL the older Sony "XO" discs are made by Ricoh. I myself own several cyanine (blue bottom) Taiyo Yuden Sony's. They've recorded nicely, and are now 5 years old without any problems.

Does anyone know if Sony markets any discs made by CMC?

Liteon 52x32x52 Black
NEC 2510A

(in reply to monkuboy)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Sony CD-R's? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI