CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 622 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! - 8/12/2004 10:49:06 AM   
WinThusiast

SecuGen has announced the release of SNAP (Secure Network Authentication Platform), a new client-server software that lets users securely and conveniently logon to Windows networks with their fingerprints instead of passwords.

SNAP helps secure networks using fingerprint biometrics, which unlike passwords cannot be lost, forgotten, duplicated or hacked. The SNAP Server component is a biometric authentication module that integrates seamlessly with Windows NT, 2000, and 2003 Server platforms and supports Active Directory. The SNAP Client component works with any SecuGen fingerprint peripheral and provides a variety of functions, including Windows logon, Windows session lock, fingerprint profile enrollment and management. Setting up the server and client is literally a "snap," taking only minutes to install and enroll a fingerprint profile, which associates a user's fingerprint information with his or her standard Windows account. Once enrolled in SNAP, logging onto Windows is quick and intuitive, without having to remember or type in passwords.

Source : InSourced
Post #: 1
RE: Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! - 8/12/2004 3:15:36 PM   
scuba_steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: WinThusiast

SNAP helps secure networks using fingerprint biometrics, which unlike passwords cannot be lost, forgotten, duplicated or hacked. The SNAP Server component is a biometric authentication module that integrates

Fingerprints cannot be hacked? Better think again!! I don't know many technical details about, but in the recent past when I was in Canada and was talking to several people dealing with security, they told me that they don't consider such systems so foolproof as companies make them appear.

Anyway, it sure beats having "123456" or "mygrirlfriendsname" as a password. Saves time to the sysadmins as well, no need to reset forgotten passwords any more, or answer any calls of the form "I forgot the password, can you tell me what it is?", and for the 100milionth time having to explain that they can only change it

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
[Deleted] - 8/12/2004 5:37:54 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to scuba_steve)
  Post #: 3
RE: Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! - 8/12/2004 7:13:10 PM   
WinThusiast

Hi Scuba-diver-Stevie-Wonder (just joking....)

1. I didnt said that - so dont yell at me...go to Insourced and tell THEM about this...

...and...

2. I kinda agree with You...that it isnt 100% secure - because there just isnt any 100% security! Never was never will be! But I guess that this is one of better security options...much better than ordinary passwords...I personally think that its as secure as how much detailed this fingerprint scan is...so...it means that You need to have high resolution scanner device...plus...very good program to extract as much unique details as possible for each fingertip. Or maybe even better...to scan both hands...all 10 fingertips...that makes it even harder...or...or...or...

I guess the best security would be combination of more options...maybe this one....plus....eye scan (as minos said)...plus some password... = ULTIMATE SECURITY

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 4
RE: Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! - 8/13/2004 11:40:21 AM   
S33K3R

how would fingerprints not be secured, in what way?
eye scan I would think is good.

voice recognition - what happens when you have a cold? what happens when someone trys to imitate your voice? I would not realy care for voice recognition. then again I am basing this all on voice dialing on a phone. some supposedly will only work with your voice but that is definetely not the case.

< Message edited by S33K3R -- 8/13/2004 11:42:08 AM >

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 5
[Deleted] - 8/13/2004 8:25:45 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to S33K3R)
  Post #: 6
RE: Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! - 8/13/2004 8:58:35 PM   
WinThusiast

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Use Fingertips To Logon to Windows! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI