CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Of labelling kits..   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 527 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Of labelling kits.. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 2:49:44 AM   
Fred Spade

Hi,
I apologise if this thread should be in some other forum.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what are the better labelling kits to use, and/or any issues that one should know about. I want to give my music a more professional look than simply scribbling on the discs with a marker since they are to demo my music.
Cost is a factor (the lower the better, as if you couldn't guess), and also I'm in the UK, for what it's worth.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 3:23:08 AM   
Graffitti

Well.. the main issue about labeling kits is that if they're not applied really well to the cd itself, then it could mess with the balance the of the disc, and quite possibly make the CD more likely to explode in high speed cd-roms.

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 2
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 3:24:56 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

okay, here's the lowdown on CD-Labeling:

There are 3 major labeling names: Avery, Neato, and Multi-Flip (made by CoolaBella).

Neato labels are good, but expensive, and their label applicator is the worst i've EVER had the privalige of using!! Their labels can be regualr, glossy, transparent, or metallic (gold or silver). They also produce the core labels which label just the inner CD hub, which is often left bare by most cd labels.

Avery produces CD-Stomper, which is a really good system! CD Stomper is generally cheaper then neato, their labels are good, and their applicator is good (my personal favourite). Like neato they have all sorts of labels, but I don't believe they produce labels for the hub of the CD, or metallic labels. They DO however make Jewel Case inserts, which you would probably be interested in for your demo CDs.

Multi-Flip makes the most expensive labelling Kit, but in some ways it's the most superior. The label applicator is the only one of the three that comes with guides for labeling the business card CD-Rs, which because of their shape, can be very difficult to label. I've just had the pleasure of using the multi-flip applicator to label 100 business card CDs, and I would say it's difficult to learn, but not so bad when you get used to it. Multi-Flip labels are incredible however, they are the cheapest labels you can find, and their print quality is very high (1440 DPI). The only real downside to the multi-flip systemis the software it comes with, it SUCKS! don't use it! the labels don't even match up using their own software!! however, it's easy to download proper templates for use in other programs like phtoshop and microsoft word, and THOSE work VERY well.

In conclusion, I would recommend the CD-Stomper system made by avery. The applicator is easy to use and good quality, the labels are cheap and fairly good quality and the software works well. If you want to switch to multi-flip labels, you can always just download a template to use in other software, and that way you don't have to buy a whole seperate kit.

also, some people say that it's bad to label CD-Rs because the labels will peel. This is generally untrue. I wouldn't suggest putting an additional label on a CD-R that is already branded. But if you are working with un-branded CD-Rs (ie. silver on silver, or silver on blue, or gold on gold, ect...) then it's fine. Actually, it's probably BETTER to label un-branded CD-Rs then it is to leave them surfaceless. I hope that answers your question :)

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 3
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 3:30:26 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Fred and Welcome to the Forum !!!
If you are looking for a good quality labelling kit I don't think you will go far wrong with the Press-It Kit and they are quite cheap and can be bought quite easily in the UK !!!
I use them personally and I have done for a number of years on most of my CD's that I have backed up and I have never had any problems with them !!!
I hope this Helps !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 4
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 4:11:16 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Laffin: Can you provide a little info on Press-it? I've never heard of them, possibly they don't sell in Canada, but I'd still like to read up on them. A website, or some of your experiences with them would be great!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 5
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 4:30:20 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Dolphinius
Just Go To :-
http://www.pressit.com/1024.htm
And please don't start asking us hundreds of questions ask their Customer Support !!!
But their Website should tell you all you need to Know !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 6
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 10/31/2002 9:15:01 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Laffin: Thanks! I didn't see it on my initial search :) no worries, I'm sure the website will do nicely!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 7
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 11/1/2002 1:23:48 AM   
Fred Spade

Thank you very much for the information!

I'll take a list of those brand names as I shop around over the next week. CD-Stomper is one I've seen mentioned numerous times, and going by Dolphinius' description, it sounds like it may be a good safe and economical option for a first-timer like myself, so I guess 'til I hit the shops it's the front-runner.

Cheers!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 8
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/3/2002 1:08:33 PM   
Babymech

I just bought 150 sheets of Multi Flip Matte Photo Quality (Premium Grade Water Proof, ie plastic) Labels, and I have to say I'm a bit confused. The print quality is nicer than the regular paper-labels I've been using, but the Multi Flip labels are, to put it simply, translucent - after sticking them on the cd I can see right through them to the CD, and I can barely make out the printed design on the label. Needless to say, this is absolutely worthless to me, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if the labels are really supposed to be translucent, and in that case - what are they good for? Even on a completely blank CD, they still let the original surface show through to the point of making the design useless. Would things have been better if I'd gotten the glossy version?

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 9
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/3/2002 10:11:04 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

That's weird! I don't suppose you purchased the transparent labels by mistake? they're almost compeletly see through once you take them off of the paper. Regular Multiflip labels are VERY opaque, and white. I also only know of 100pc packs for the regular labels. I think you might have bought the wrong ones [:0]

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 10
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/3/2002 11:19:43 PM   
rabbit

Avery produces CD-Stomper, which is a really good system! CD Stomper is generally cheaper then neato, their labels are good, and their applicator is good (my personal favourite).

the labels that come with CD stomper are pretty thin, so if you use them on a dark branded disc, you can see through the label.

i agree that the applicator is great, so buy the stomper by itself and get other labels : ).

btw: has anyone seen Clear labels that stay clear when you stick them on the CD? i bought some by avery or something and when you stick them on the disc, you can see the glue so it ends up being translucent.

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 11
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/4/2002 2:20:43 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

We use the ones made by Neato, actually and it's the only Neato Product I'd recommend!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 12
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/4/2002 9:05:18 AM   
dazco

The biggest problem with labels is centering them so that the disc isn't out of balance, and so it looks good. There is only one way i've been able to do this, as every label applicator i've used isn't perfect at centering labels. The stomper is best, but still is problematic. I'll tell you why, and how to fix it.

The reason it doesn't center perfectly is because the center "post", for lack of a better word, tilts in it's hole as you push it down. While it seems like you can be carefull not to let it tilt, it's near impossible to keep it from happening at least a little. And any amout will throw the disc out of balance to some extent. Just how much is bad is subjective, but i want mine as perfectly sentered as possible for balance and looks !

To fix it what i did was to take some clear 2" packing tape and carefully wrap it around the post till there was just enough so it would still be able to go down into the hole. It's a bit tricky to get it just right without the tape catching as you push the post down when applying a label. But once it's done right there is zero play, and it centers the label FAR more accuratly than the stock stomper, and especially much better than any other brand by a mile.

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 13
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/4/2002 11:15:02 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

hrm, how'd you get Multi-Flip labels to play well with the CD Stomper? the Center holes are different sizes???[:I]

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 14
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/4/2002 5:54:13 PM   
dazco

quote:
hrm, how'd you get Multi-Flip labels to play well with the CD Stomper? the Center holes are different sizes???

Don't even know what "multi flip" labels are. All the labels i've used fit just fine. That includes at least neato, memorex, and stomper. Possibly more, tho i can't remember. Whatever multi flip labels are, if the hole size varies as you say, how can ANY applicator work with them unless it's made for diff size holes somehow ?!! Why would you even question that in the 1st place? I really don't understand what u r saying!

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 15
RE: Of labelling kits.. - 12/4/2002 6:31:18 PM   
Matthew

If using an Inkjet, ensure that the label stock you are using IS suitable for inkjet printing - some of the "fancies", particularly glossy, transparent or metallic, are for LASER printing, as they don't have the absorbency to handle wet printing.

Though from what I hear, if you've ever seen the solid imk output of a "Phaser", you wouldn't want to print with anything else.

PS. be careful with "plastic" media, such as acetate sheets in LASER printers, as the wrong sort can melt in the works.

(in reply to Fred Spade)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Of labelling kits.. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI