CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1378 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/30/2004 3:51:13 PM   
Halcyon

I know, I know. I'm too verbose.

The point is just to try and understand things better though.

So if any of you have ideas on this subject, please post.

Also, I know and respect your (CDRInfo) work hugely already Emperor, so don't take all of my silly questions as something pointed at your work.

I wait anxiously of all your measurements and as said before, you are doing wonderful work. I learn a lot from reading your reviews and posts (like I also learn at cdfreaks and cdrinfo).

I'm just throwing in a question or two, when I think there's something I need to understand or if there's a subject that I think might need discussing.

I'd really love the "scene" (if there's such a thing) to come together and standardize on scanning tool data output and pull together a database of scans.

This way we could statistically analyze the results and take the anecdotal evidence to a higher level of reliability.

That is, we would have a better chance of knowing which drive/firmware produces a decently compatible burn with which media/version/speed.

I would be really useful to drive buyers, media buyers, firmware hackers and even optical drive manufacturers/designers.

In fact, my current belief is that it would be more worthwhile than just pure Pulsetec drive based analyzer scans (as also those are a single snapshot onto the reading process, as we have discussed in other threads).

Unfortunately, my skills and employment do not allow me to pull such a thing by myself nor do I possess the required contacts to get people interested in it (i.e. Erik Deppe, Nic W, Karr Wang, all the forum owners, etc).

So, I try to raise this idea every now and then to see if it makes sense to others, who are perhaps in a better position to take advantage of such ideas, in case they are deemed worthwhile.

Cheers,
halcyon

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 49
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/30/2004 4:10:41 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Yawn...............Hey Halcyon by the time I get to the end of your posts I am nodding off so I suggest in the future if you want an answer to your many questions try asking them one a time !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 50
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/31/2004 3:53:50 AM   
Halcyon

Point taken. Will do :)

(in reply to Laffin Assassin)
Post #: 51
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/31/2004 8:20:57 AM   
emperor

(in reply to Halcyon)
Post #: 52
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/31/2004 11:00:50 AM   
Matthew

I'd always be wary of claiming a hacked firmware "better burn" while only testing in the drive that wrote it - getting a better PI/PO result as read by another drive, preferably from a different manufacturer, now that, I would count as more conclusive.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 53
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 7/31/2004 3:27:49 PM   
emperor

It depends i guess, a disc with different writing strategy may give lower error rates but could increase Jitter, which leads to problems.

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 54
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 8/2/2004 12:33:28 PM   
Booma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matthew

I'd always be wary of claiming a hacked firmware "better burn" while only testing in the drive that wrote it - getting a better PI/PO result as read by another drive, preferably from a different manufacturer, now that, I would count as more conclusive.

u mean like hacking an nec 2500 and reading in a liteon burner? there are lots of those types of results around. The dvd burning scene is in a state in my view, and much needs to be done. I was one of the pigeons, I mean noobs, who bought a 4x drive, 4x media and the damned things didn't work. Hence how I found forums such as these and others and am now learning a bit more as I go along.

I don't mind hacks, as I havent been burned yet. I'm sure some mods are more effective and genuine than others, but so far, everything has been going well with the ones I've tried. Props to all ppl who develop all forms of useful mods.

< Message edited by Booma -- 8/2/2004 5:35:39 PM >

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 55
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 10/11/2004 12:07:54 PM   
pigpenz

the way I look at it there is a little crash test dummy in all of us :)

(in reply to Booma)
Post #: 56
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 10/16/2004 12:14:36 PM   
Jole

Wath its NEW to LiteOn 811s and DL???????????

(in reply to zebra)
Post #: 57
RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification - 10/17/2004 1:44:47 PM   
emperor

811S and DL? A no-go situation, i think

(in reply to Jole)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Another perspective on LiteOn drive modification Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI