CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Unburned Shelf Life??   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 497 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Unburned Shelf Life?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/28/2002 7:09:48 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I read on another website that a CD-Rs in-burned shelf life was only around 5 or 6 years??? is there any truth to this? has anyone heared to the contrary, or can somebody verify this? thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 12:41:29 AM   
MP3Mogul

I have read nothing on the subject, however, it does make sense that there would be a shelf life on unburned CDR media.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 2
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 1:39:59 AM   
Laffin Assassin

It is 5 to 10 years depending on the Dye and if you want to know which brands do what do a search on the Internet as I don't think many of our members will know or be interested !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

Post #: 3
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 1:51:19 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I think people might be very interested actually, especially since some places (like futureshop) sell CD-Rs that are almost 5 years old!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

Post #: 4
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 2:02:38 AM   
Laffin Assassin

OH and how old are the 12x CDR'S that are advertised at your shop and are they CMC !!!

Post #: 5
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 4:47:15 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Like I said before, the web page is outdated, we don't sell 12x (or 16x) at all anymore, and we only carried them for a short time. We stopped carrying them because they didn't work very well, AND they were DST. Well, they were sold to us as DST, but DST can't confirm that they are theirs, so we THINK they are DST but they might be 3rd tier. But deffinatly not CMC.

But yes, those CD-Rs were probably 5 years old or more. An interesting note, most factories have stopped making 32x CD-Rs now. Minimum speed is 40x currently, but that won't last too much longer. Most factories have switched to higher speeds, and just market the CD-Rs as lower speeds. I know for a fact both Taiyo Yuden and CMC do this, probably all factories do!

Post #: 6
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 11:00:53 AM   
rjw

There are still 16x cd's made by the dutch brand double diamond digital which is made by AOD. According to the dutch magazine's these disc's are excellent when written at 16x.
So 16x disc's aren't outdated allready. This factory started there cd-r production last year. And there the 16x are really disc's optimised for 16x speed and lower.
This companny also makes 32x disc's which work good with the higher speeds. But the 16x are excellent when written at 16x but have problems when written at higher speeds.
So we can say that there still is a companny that supports the slow speed disc's.[:o)]

Post #: 7
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/29/2002 3:11:03 PM   
Matthew

A good many people will still have writers dating before the insane speed rush ... you add extra power calibration issues as soon as you depart from 100% CLV - and any speed that requires Zone-CLV or CAV/P-CAV shows diminishing returns, ESPECIALLY on less than full length burns!

Many of the interim drives also START at 16x - and that hasn't crept up by much even with the latest full-CAV 48x drives.

So there's a large group of 16x and 12x users, who bought drives not THAT long ago, there's DVD-ROM / CD-RW combo drive users, whos drives are usually on the slower side.

Then down the scale further, those who picked up a cheap 8x instead of fitting a CD-ROM, and those with 4x or even 2x drives still operational

The low-speed performance of media cannot be ignored - YET, although 2x drives can be expected to be dead/dying, or just too damn slow to bother with.

Post #: 8
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/30/2002 4:25:52 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

okay okay, I meant the mainstream factories (Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui, Prodisc, Ritek, CMC, Princo, DST...ect)

Post #: 9
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/30/2002 4:59:57 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hey Dolphinius
So why didn't you post what you meant in the first place instead of once again giving Inaccurate Information !!!
And most of the companies you have mentioned still produce Cdr's that are 16x Certified even though they are listed as 40x/48x so I suggest you get your facts right before you make anymore posts on our Forum !!!

Post #: 10
RE: Unburned Shelf Life?? - 10/30/2002 8:03:42 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

My apologies, I only ever deal with the main stream CD-R factories, so unless otherwise stated I'm ralking about them. I'll try to mention that more often, sorry, my bad. The information however is not inaccurate, it WAS incomplete, and like I said, my apologies.

Laffin: If you read my second to last post REALLY carefully, you'll see that I DID say that factories still sold slower certified media, but they are selling the faster media at slower certified speeds. It saves them money in the long run since they only have to have one set of CD makers :) I'm sorry if the post wasn't clear enough for you, but the info was there.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Unburned Shelf Life?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI