CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Media Watchdog   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 693 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Media Watchdog Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 11:31:20 PM   
Winthorpe

dolphinius, thank you for the reply. I found alot of useful and interesting information from what you said. I would agree with you too on the media id's being less of a factor in deciding what to buy. Just to clarify though, when you say you think the media id's will become more and more insignificant, do you mean because it will be too difficult to tell what you are getting? Meaning, you may think you are getting something but you really aren't type of thing?

I see that as being one reason media id's will basically be insignificant, but I also see a second reason. If that MCC media you mentioned and the TYGO2 media is being manufactured now by those plants is very reliable and high quality media, then why does it really matter who made it? A good example are those Lead Data "SONY" media id disks I bought 18 months or so ago. It seems as though it's split on what i've read where people have said they are fakes or they are legit or they don't know, etc. Your expertise says that they very well may of been a Sony authorized disk, but it seems like Clint thinks otherwise. Me as the end user could honestly care less. I mean this can all be so confusing I just want something that works.

I do my fair share and then some of reading but when it's all said and done I want a product that does what it is advertised to do. The Sony Lead Data disks did exactly that. Even after I read some say they were fakes I still bought a bunch in the months to follow. I could care less, the things worked rock solid. The same is now true for the Matrix 8x disks I've purchased from shop4tech. Those things work as awesome as any super name brand disks i've ever used including MCC and Taiyo Yuden. I see some people saying that the Verbatim 8x disks at newegg for a buch a piece are a good deal right now. I personally don't see it. These 8x disks I've been using are almost half that price. If you got the money to throw away and you don't care then spend $4 a disk.

If a disk works perfectly what more can you ask for? That's how I feel. I see all these crazy posts on jitter and PI and PO and this and that and the other. Does all that really make a difference if a disk does what it is supposed to do? I've read some people drive themselves bonkers by scanning a disk and the PI is a fraction of a number different from what it was the time before when they scanned it. I see that as a waste of time and being that I don't have problems, I can't see where there's much of an arguement.

Just like those Sony Lead Data's, these Matrix 8x DVD-R's I have, haven't even given me a single coaster. Also, my nerocdspeed and dvdinfopro results are excellent. Just burned another project a few hours ago and figured i'd post the scans here.

To summarize though dolphinius, would you agree with what i'm saying?

Clint, believe it or not, those Sony LEAD DATA's Kprobe results as well as NeroCdSpeed results were exceptional. At one time I almost allowed myself to get brainwashed by all the phoney this phoney that talk, but I said to myself, wait a second, this is all mumbo jumbo. As i'm writing this write now, I couldn't of made a better decision. I would of just thrown out great disks for no reason at all. Yes, I guess those disks did you that cyanine dye as it looks like a light purple when compared to the AZO dyes of many other DVDRs. But I've read a lot on that too. Why should I concern myself about AZO dye vs CYANINE dye on disks that almost 2 years later still playback perfectly and show zero errors? You know where i'm coming from?

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 17
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 11:36:44 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I received a notification regarding this e-tailer just now:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Babwood-Ltd_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQdptZ0QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

According to my source (who has proven quite reliable in previous issues), the T.Y. discs being sold are not real Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs, and his MCC media is also highly suspect (MCC has been notified so to look into it).

So for all you European folks, be extremely careful when dealing with this vendor!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 18
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 11:52:53 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Winthorpe:

Wow! long post!!

Of course what you are saying has some merit. If the disc works well, who cares what it calls itself, right? well, that's fine for you, and that's fine for me, and probably a lot of other people. But there are also people who want to buy Taiyo Yuden made discs, and Mitsubishi made discs, and they should have the right to be able to buy those discs without being screwed around with by people only wanting to make a quick buck! And this is what this thread is about, giving people that right to choose their discs, and not be fooled by tricksters!

The fact is though, that some burners are not able to burn media with mismatched codes very well. Those codes are optomised for the media they are supposed to be used with, and some drives just can't adjust to the media being so different. So a very good drive, like a Pioneer, will quite likely be able to burn the disc rather well... other drives, with less adaptability (maybe liteON?) would have a lesser chance of pulling it off.

It's *EASY* to say that when something works well in your burner that it is a good disc... but keep in mind that there are dozens of major brand burners out there, and they all handle media differently. That's why I am personally trying to collect as many DVD burners from various manufacturers as possible, so I can give a more rounded opinion of media.

As for Azo vs. Cyanine... I think the argument is as stupid as it was with CD-Rs. Properly made DVDRs can be made with either dye type, and Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi show us this very often In the future though, I expect we will see much more use of the Cyanine dye type, if only due to the cost difference!

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 19
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/14/2004 12:58:32 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Winthorpe

I do my fair share and then some of reading but when it's all said and done I want a product that does what it is advertised to do. The Sony Lead Data disks did exactly that. Even after I read some say they were fakes I still bought a bunch in the months to follow. I could care less, the things worked rock solid. The same is now true for the Matrix 8x disks I've purchased from shop4tech. Those things work as awesome as any super name brand disks i've ever used including MCC and Taiyo Yuden. I see some people saying that the Verbatim 8x disks at newegg for a buch a piece are a good deal right now. I personally don't see it. These 8x disks I've been using are almost half that price. If you got the money to throw away and you don't care then spend $4 a disk.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex
Of course what you are saying has some merit. If the disc works well, who cares what it calls itself, right? well, that's fine for you, and that's fine for me, and probably a lot of other people. But there are also people who want to buy Taiyo Yuden made discs, and Mitsubishi made discs, and they should have the right to be able to buy those discs without being screwed around with by people only wanting to make a quick buck! And this is what this thread is about, giving people that right to choose their discs, and not be fooled by tricksters!

You see Winthorpe,

this is where me and D_R are alike and where you differ. You don't care, if it works it works. But we as enthusiasts don't take "it works" attitude. For this reason is why we need quality standards. You as an everyday consumer need not worry. Basically, if you buy *anything* Sony, whether it's made by Sony themselves or not, it will work, but the quality depends on the amount of R&D Sony put into the final product. Why produce 'average' quality media, when you can have somebody else do it for you? They even stamp your company logo if you pay them enough. Thus you need not setup your own disc/dye plants and the hassle of another sub-operation. Besides, if you want decent media, just OEM (re-badge) Taiyo Yuden etc. media as Sony/Plextor/Fuji all did/still do.

But I have to agree with you, I personally used the Sony LeadData combo for years without fail (whilst they were on Cyanine and recorded with good hardware) and yes they do have actually good scan results. They were actaually my favoured disc for a good while, since they played on the PS1 so well ...

< Message edited by Clint -- 7/14/2004 3:03:18 PM >

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 20
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/14/2004 11:20:44 PM   
Winthorpe

dolphinius, once again I totally agree with you. Everyone has their own preferences, so who am I to knock them? If they want to lose sleep over a fraction of a number using Kprobe, then by all means, they should do what makes them comfortable. If the disks work "great" then that's all i'm really concerned with. Like I said, I've been this way from the beginning but I once almost allowed myself to be sucked in with everyone who was talking about those Sony LD's are gonna lose data and not read or play and daa daa daaa. I'm glad I never re-burned them to different media. Oh, and as far as the dye types go, once again, yep, couldn't agree more. I also never allowed myself to get consumed by that argument either. Azo vs. Cyanine. My philosophy was this: IF the Sony LD's were fakes, then I want more fakes like those, lol. And IF they were REAL, then Sony isn't gonna allow mass production of disks using some inferior processes like Dye and have their name stamped on them. So regardless of what was true or not, it didn't make a difference to me with that logic, you know?

Clint, yep, I hear what you are saying too and Quality Control should always be an issue. I just think if you read some other forums posts as well as here you'll read so many people talking about the most frivilous things. Things like the Kprobe results, or NeroCdSpeed isn't 100% perfect, or this and that and that and this. I just can't see how that is useful when your disks work perfectly. I mean cause for concern are kprobe results off the charts or NeroCdSpeed results that are horrific. Of course, this is how I feel. And back to the Sony/LD issue, yep, we both had excellent results with them. Those are also some of my favorite disks. I'd put them on my "ALL-STAR" team of DVDR's any day, and they'd defeinitely be starting. Fake, Real, Real Fake, I could care less. They still play and work perfectly, perfectly with a capital "P." And what was really astounding with those disks is when I bought them they were initially more then half as inexpensive as most other media such as Optodisc or Ritek, etc. I got my first 100 pack of those for like $74 w/ Free shipping. I could of either gone with those or gone with Princos at the time, and how good of a decision did I make on that one?

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 21
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/16/2004 5:07:43 PM   
digitaldoc

This is a great thread. So many posts, so quickly. Perhaps this should get its own subforum.

I recently purchased a pack of 10 HP DVD+R. This is the media code:
From Nero CD Speed:
Manufacturer : CMC Magnetics
Code : 97m26s66f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 6: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.71
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

The discs seem to work well in the drive. Any comments on this media?

TNL
LiteOn 1693S review
Plextor 740A review
BTC DVDRW 1008
LiteOn 852S

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 22
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/16/2004 9:11:47 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I have a comment on that media, sometimes it has an MCC code

(in reply to digitaldoc)
Post #: 23
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/18/2004 7:46:12 PM   
nattoumusubi

Aloha Dolphinius-

Wanted to ask you where you look for these "codes" on the DVD discs? I just got my shipment from RIMA for the following:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1736-50&Category_Code=DMR8X

Well, I do not see made in Japan anywhere, nor the words Taiyo Yuden on the packaging. The only numbers I see on a disc are GG000041

Look forward to hearing from you. I hope these are real Taiyo Yuden disk.
Mahalo,
Nattou

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 24
TY CDRs - 8/2/2004 4:45:20 AM   
spectre

Although they were CDRs i thought i'd add to this. About a 2 years ago, i bought some (100) TY CDRs i think 24X or so... i can't remember. Well anyways, I noticed that 3/4 of the spindle were frosted in the center (hub) and the others weren't.... it was rather strange.

They burned at 24X on my plextor 241040, but they only burned at 8X on my father's plextor 161040 burner. I tried both the frosted and non frosted ones... they all burned 8X on the 16X plextor; and sometimes they burned unsuccessfully. Not only that, I've noticed recently some of my discs are falling apart; the top layer of the disc (i forgot wut it is called) flaked off on the edge of the disc.

Unfortunately, I threw all these discs away regardless of whether they flaked or not (I was worried that flaking would occur when the disc is spinning in my drive), so I can't give you more info on whom made it. I'll ask my father if he still has some of these, but I have been telling him to throw away all the TYs and Princo Discs that he had.

(in reply to nattoumusubi)
Post #: 25
RE: Media Watchdog - 8/2/2004 5:09:58 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: nattoumusubi

Aloha Dolphinius-

Wanted to ask you where you look for these "codes" on the DVD discs? I just got my shipment from RIMA for the following:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1736-50&Category_Code=DMR8X

Well, I do not see made in Japan anywhere, nor the words Taiyo Yuden on the packaging. The only numbers I see on a disc are GG000041

Look forward to hearing from you. I hope these are real Taiyo Yuden disk.
Mahalo,
Nattou

You can download DVDInfoPro to show you the disc's media ID code:
http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Either the free version 2, or the ad supported version 3 should work fine for your needs

@Spectre:
Thank you for sharing your experiences! Do you remember where you got the fake TYs?

(in reply to nattoumusubi)
Post #: 26
Fake TYs - 8/2/2004 8:28:29 PM   
spectre

Dolph:

I bought them at a Computer Show; I also bought fake Maxells (was told they were OEM maxells; turned out to be Princos, i hate those!) Anyways, I watched what media I purchased at the computer show and stopped buying stuff from the guy that sold me the fake TYs. I believe he mentioned to me he was armenian once. anyways, for the people that live in Los Angeles area, watch out for those computer shows.

< Message edited by spectre -- 8/2/2004 8:29:57 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Fake TYs - 8/2/2004 9:44:49 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

yeah, those Maxell OEM discs are pretty bad!

(in reply to spectre)
Post #: 28
New Media to watch for! - 9/6/2004 6:02:40 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Keep an eye open for Hyundai brand 8x DVDRs. They use a TY code, but from some user's experiences, appear to be very much NOT Taiyo Yuden. Don't be fooled by them!

Also, it looks like CDRWINKLE is selling 8x Mirror DVD-Rs with a TYG02 code as well.

Fake MCC code media is also appearing more and more, and now PRODISC is making media with MCC codes too! Although all sources seem to say that Prodisc is doing this with proper licesning, the lingering question of *WHY* seems to still be unanswered.

In all this high end code using fun, it appears that there may be some fake Ritek media floating around too, but the SHT001 code on the disc ought to give it away rather quickly! This one may have been a typo on Feurio's webstore though.

That's all for now!

Post #: 29
RE: New Media to watch for! - 9/6/2004 7:28:41 PM   
emperor

Good info Dolphy!

Post #: 30
RE: Media Watchdog - 9/8/2004 7:51:51 AM   
lonelyger

Anyone knows DVD-RW 4x Medias??

I know that 4x DVD-RW is not an official standard but Verbatim is the only manufacturer that sell these rw's

So..anyone knows??

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 31
RE: Media Watchdog - 9/8/2004 11:04:58 AM   
monkuboy

I've looked at a few resellers of TY media and see that Rima.com has much lower prices than the other ones. Any comments on this? Why would their prices be so low? I've bought from them before and have had good results but I am wondering why they would sell TY media for so much less than other dealers. Also, I understand Fujifilm media marked as being made in Japan is also TY, and can be found on sale. Why would you spend almost twice as much at these other places if you can get TY media branded under Fujifilm, or TY oem from Rima? Just curious..

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Media Watchdog Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI