CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1051 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/19/2002 6:46:54 PM   
frazzled

So my nice new Yamaha CRW-F1 is installed, recognized, firmware updated and ready to go (thanks to the advice I got here).

I only started using CD-RWs in the past week and I already managed to pick a dodgy brand [:(!]. Darn Memorex 4X 700MB . I use them to archive my kid's videos so they can watch them on our standalone DVD player. In the past I have only used TY CDRs (Fuji and HP) and after carefully reading the threads in this forum it is clear that I should go with the Mitsubishi-made brands (Verbatim/Mitsu). But amazingly, I can not find them locally (and I live in New York City, for goodness' sake).

Are there other CDRW brands that are reliable that I can find in the US? These do not need *multiple* rewrites (although that would be OK). The reason I use CDRWs instead of CDRs is that sometimes I screw up the editing on the video and need to redo it AND I haven't found a CDR that will reliably play in our old DVD player.

Thanks again for the help!

fraz
Post #: 1
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 12:13:31 AM   
Graffitti

well.. the only place in the US that I am aware of where you can find Verbatim Data Life Plus discs retail is Bestbuy. I'm pretty sure that there're some BestBuys in New York, and if there isn't around where you live, just order it online, they should still the free shipping going on. But make sure you get the Data Life Plus. the other verbatims isn't worth it.

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 2
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 2:48:47 AM   
frazzled

A Best Buy (finally) opened nearby rather recently, but they don't carry Verbatim CD-RWs, just the CDRs. Go figure.

I played a hunch since the Apple stores *only* carry the very good Pioneer DVD-Rs that I like, and sure enough, the CDRWs that they carry are Verbatims. I'll buy a few tomorrow and see what they're like...

It is actually very difficult to find the 80 min Datalife Plus discs *anywhere*. Right now I'm re-encoding a VCD to see if I can fit the movie on 2 74 min CDRWs instead. Kind of funny to be going "backwards".

Thanks Graffitti, at least I know I'm not going crazy!

fraz

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 3
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 3:44:16 AM   
Graffitti

well.. just keep in mind that size doesn't matter for VCDS. if you have a 800meg VCD2.0 compliant MPG that's 74min or below, it will fit on a 74min cd, and it's the same as with 80min cds. As long as the VCD is 80 min or under, it's perfectly fine. It's a really good thing that you're looking for high quality media too. You'll need them for VCDs if you want them to last. I personally only use Taiyo Yudens for them since I can get them pretty cheap usually and quality is quite up there too.

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 4
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 5:18:39 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I would disagree that quality is a major issue with VCDs. I agree that you want them to last, but if one pixal is damaged it doesn't really matter too much in playback. However, in a game (say playstation), if only one byte is unreadable, the game will likely freeze at that point. That's why Music and Video format CDs are nice

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 5
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 5:23:28 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Due to the fact that there are many people who would flame me for my last post, I would like to point out that I am in no way trying to encourage people to buy low quality CDs, or try to make a low quality CD sound as good as a high quality CD. I'm just trying to say that an error here and there won't make much of a difference. I'm just trying to illistrate some options, cause not everybody can buy hundreds of Taiyo Yudens

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 6
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 3:07:39 PM   
MP3Mogul

If you're in the USA, I use the Memorex 10X CDRW's at Best Buy (this is also the only place that I can find them). I have used the same ones over and over and over (like the energizer bunny) and they keep going and going. The low speed ones are not great, and the CRW-F1 doesn't seem to like them. I had previously noticed that my 3200 drive didn't like the low speed media either. Pretty soon, will all the new drives coming out with re-write speeds of 24X, we should see an influx of 24X CDRW media flooding the market soon.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 7
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 6:56:22 PM   
cackling fiend

I also have a Yamaha CRW-F1 and I'm still waiting for Ultra-Speed RWs and MRWs. Does anyone know when and where I can buy them[?]

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 8
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 9:07:55 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:
Originally posted by cackling fiend

I also have a Yamaha CRW-F1 and I'm still waiting for Ultra-Speed RWs and MRWs. Does anyone know when and where I can buy them[?]

Unfortunatly, despite the fact that more and more drives are coming out with 24x re-write compatability, most retailers arn't too anxious to provide the media for them. Including myself. The reason: They're expensive, and we can't sell them in high enough volume to make the shipping worth it. Most places are just picking 12x up now, it'll be a while before 24x comes available.

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 9
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/20/2002 9:47:35 PM   
frazzled

It's an interesting phenomena, but since the price of CDRs has plummeted it has become tougher to find good CD-RWs!

Today I checked a few places only to discover that most of the mass-market stores are going for the cheapest bulk packs they can find. MP3Mogul's comment about the high-speed Memorex CD-RWs got me thinking, my Best Buy was out of them, but a nearby Office Depot had some of the new Maxell high-speeds and they had "Made in Singapore" on the package. So I played the hunch and sure enough, acccording to CD-Indentifier, they are made by Misubishi Chemical.

So tonight I change the bitrates on the videos to fit on 74 min instead of 80 and I should be all set.

A non-trivial undertaking!

fraz

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 10
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/21/2002 11:32:50 PM   
MP3Mogul

Dolphinius, while that is an interesting observation for online retailers, and maybe for you in Canada. BestBuy will be stocking them in all of the US stores very SOON!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 11
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/22/2002 1:30:31 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

MP3Mogul: Hrm, very interesting, I wonder if future shop will follow suite (since Bestbuy bought out futureshop). If that's the case (which I doubt, because futureshop rarely sells higher then 4x media) then I'll have to plan accordingly. Still interesting none the less. Please keep me informed, I'd like to know when they actually have them in stock. thanks!

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 12
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/22/2002 3:34:11 AM   
frazzled

Oh, and for you folks in the US who are hunting for Verbatim media (the DataLife Plus come highly recommended, both CD-R and CD-RW) I tracked some down at Microcenter. They're on the web at [url]www.microcenter.com[/url]. According to the web site they have a wide assortment of Verbatim media.

I'm heading out to one of their retail stores tomorrow, I'll report back if anyone is interested....

fraz

BTW, my CRW-F1 is SWELL.

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 13
RE: What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? - 10/22/2002 4:50:08 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi frazzled
Thanks for the info I am sure some of our members will be pleased about that !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to frazzled)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What (and WHERE) to buy in the USA ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI