CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 332 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/12/2002 3:22:31 PM   
lalittle

My Yamaha CDRW came with a bundled copy of Nero (5.5.x.x). I'd like to load Nero on my second system which has a Plextor in it, but I'm unclear whether or not my copy of Nero will work with drives from other manufacturers. The Plextor came with Easy CD Creator, which I don't like as much as Nero. Can I use my "Yamaha" version of Nero on the Plextor system, or do I have to buy a whole other copy?

Thanks for any info on this,

Larry
Post #: 1
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/12/2002 7:04:02 PM   
Matthew

Not quite....

You need to buy an UPGRADE key - or look for a cheap OEM (not bundle) copy on one of the auction sites.
I've seen 5.54 OEM for 10 (UK) - at an online seller, not even an auction site.

Bundles have an embedded key on the CD (drive make locked, but can be upgraded) - OEM has a printed key on the CD case or slip insert, which works for any drive.

Of course, you SHOULD own another copy for another drive, but if both drives are for your own personal use, then I'd say it's down to your conscience....

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 2
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/14/2002 4:07:58 PM   
lalittle

Is the upgrade I need the "Update from Nero 3, or 4 to Nero 5.5" upgrade? This is the only one I can find on their website, but it doesn't mention "OEM 5.5 to retail 5.5" anywhere.

Thanks,

Larry

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 3
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/14/2002 8:25:07 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

just send them an E-Mail, I did that once and they're really friendly and usually get back to you within a day.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 4
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/14/2002 11:50:12 PM   
Matthew

http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1004602918150.html#5

It's mentioned here, but the link only refers to the version upgrade, not the bundle to semifull upgrade (you'll still be minus a few retail CD components, unless you purchase the upgrade as a retail CD upgrade) - so compare with a cheap OEM if you can get one ** OEM, NOT BUNDLE ** - no printed key, turn it down!

There are a few comparisons on the site, you've probably found them.

And even with full retail, full MP3 encoding is still extra (unlike ROXIO Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum).

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 5
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/15/2002 12:53:31 AM   
MP3Mogul

In all seriousness, get the FREE lame encoder! It has worked great for me through my many thousands and thousands of MP3's. You can get it here: http://home.pi.be/~mk442837/

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 6
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/17/2002 10:44:11 PM   
Matthew

Indeed! - and pair it with Exactaudiocopy, CDEX *** beware of JUNK imitations, some popular freeware is being ripped off and renamed ***

The main point, is that there is NOT a standard set of "retail/full" features - eg. ECDC 5 **includes** a full MP3 codec, ECDC 4 would work with any ACM codec (incl the LAME ACM implementation and the controversial ??pirate?? "RADIUM" codec), while the freeware mentioned above interfaces with MANY codecs by ACM, DLL or command line.

Nero interfaces - AFAIK - only with it's own! - which they want you to buy - I do wish the hacker/tweakers would work up a LAME DLL plugin interface for it.

No doubt Nero has features ECDC is missing (particularly overburn/90/99 support), and of course, the big two are not the only came in town ... NTI, Stomp and others are probably trying harder, since they lack the bundling volume.

Particularly annoying is the tendency of some writers to be supplied "softwareless" - expecting you to rely on the lacklustre facilities in WinXP (though this may be a "broken bundle").

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 7
RE: Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? - 10/23/2002 11:21:16 PM   
CCampbell

We hope to have our web site modified soon, so that is more clear how to upgrade from a OEM bundle to the Full Retail version of Nero. The cost is $19 US dollars, and the link for "Nero v5.5 Upgrade Serial Number (From 4.0) will work, or you can simply send an Email to sales@nero.com to cut through the confusion.

Regards,

Craig

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Will "bundled" Nero work with other burners? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI