CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

metal stabilized dyes DVDr   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1367 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> metal stabilized dyes DVDr Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/3/2004 8:12:45 AM   
kpg

is there any information on the internet listing which dvdr use metal stabilized dyes and which don't
Post #: 1
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/3/2004 8:39:34 AM   
kpg

Has any one tried

Great AZO or HQ AZO - both are real cheap - 40$ for 100

suposedly they use metal stabilized AZO dye - but i dont know if thats true

they are so cheap i was wondering if its worth the risk (trying them)

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 2
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/3/2004 12:35:34 PM   
emperor

Hmm, not to sure if there is such information, tried looking over google? possibly the official press releases of each media

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 3
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/3/2004 7:30:12 PM   
kpg

yes i have -- all i keep comming up with is TDK - verbatim and some other unknown brand

im asking becasue i have personaly seen the difference in stability (over time) of these type of dyes (for these wavelenghts) at work-- and the metal combo types lasted much longer

what i was hoping to find was cheaper media that may be using the same technology

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 4
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/4/2004 2:57:18 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

The technology is made by Mitsubishi, and if you want a cheaper version, then wait for CMC's cheaper Verbatim brand media. CMC and Mitsubishi are working very closely these days, and most of Mitsubishi's technology is shared with CMC... although QC isn't quite as good...

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 5
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/4/2004 4:18:04 PM   
kpg

Verbatim uses the Metal stabilized AZO dye - so i gues thats the one Mitsubishi makes

TDK makes Metal Stabilized Cyanne (spelling error i think) dye

the AZO is more stable under certain conditions than the cyanne therefore could be considered better -

I dont know about the AZO dye but i know the cyanne one has gone through a 100 year simulation and the stored data was readable after a 100+ . So Id say the TDKs will last a long time

for many of the diferent types of DVD media i read some boasting that they use organic AZO dye ( but no where do i see any mention of Metal Stabilization) - and some just say Organic dye (not meaning all natural - but the chemical composition)

Now what is realy bothering me is looking at information for verbatim disks the dye technology is labled as AZO (capital letters) -- And when looking up information about other NO-Name Brands they to list AZO (capital letters) But no where so i see the AZO logo showing the same brand name regognition for the technology

I am basing my opinions on my experience working with dyes (for slightly longer wavelengths) and the metal combinations used GOLD (which i doubt any of these companies use since the price tag is 100$ per half a gram) AND the setup ive been using is an analog (not digital) laser system - which i belive shows more reliable information becasue light absorption and scatering characterisitcs play a bigger role (and problems with stability show much sooner) --- For example the same wavelengths with the plain (cheaper) organic dyes lasted for about 2 -3 months before the absorbtion charactersitcs began to change and the same wavelength metal stabilized dyes lasted about 6 months

i apologize for any bad grammer and spelling errors that may anoy some people

hopefuly this was useful to someone

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 6
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/5/2004 12:13:05 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Mitsui made Gold DVDRs for a while... but they couldn't make them work very well, so they pulled the whole line. I've heard reports they are still trying to pull it off though, and may re-release the product line later.

As for the whole DVD Azo dye thing. The problem is, AZO dye is used in almost every DVDR to some extent. Why? because it's the easiest to make work well! The only discs I've seen that say they use Metal Stabilized AZO so far are the Verbatim Film Reel DVDRs... I'm sure there are more out there, but I haven't personally seen them (or I didn't notice).

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 7
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/7/2004 1:55:18 PM   
kpg

so i gues if i see AZO - i should just regard it as AZO not metal stabilized

ok then - what about this

since verbatim uses the metal stabilized dye - and mistubishi makes the dye - how many other places are known to be purchasing the azo dye from mitsubishi

and if the verbatim company uses the fancy AZO logo - would that more likely mean that mistubishi has made a special version of the dye for verbatim or would you think they are just trying a BRAND RECOGNITION SCHEME and that same dye is being sold off to everyone like yesterdays street walker

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 8
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/26/2004 5:51:15 PM   
jbelder

Prodisc also uses metal stabilized azo dye technology They use the same process as Verbatim.

< Message edited by jbelder -- 6/26/2004 3:53:15 PM >

(in reply to kpg)
Post #: 9
[Deleted] - 6/26/2004 7:10:27 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to jbelder)
  Post #: 10
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/27/2004 9:00:28 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos

Latetly Ritek also uses the MC dye.

Minos, I don't think those discs are on the market yet... stop showing off your advanced samples

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 11
[Deleted] - 6/28/2004 11:28:12 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
  Post #: 12
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/28/2004 11:49:00 AM   
emperor

Dolphy soon we will test them, don't worry!

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 13
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/28/2004 12:51:29 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well realistically speaking, I'll probably be one of the last people to get them... Ritek USA is VERY slow!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 14
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/28/2004 7:00:34 PM   
emperor

When we have something, i will let you know

Post #: 15
RE: metal stabilized dyes DVDr - 6/29/2004 11:25:05 AM   
JeanLuc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex

Mitsui made Gold DVDRs for a while... but they couldn't make them work very well, so they pulled the whole line. I've heard reports they are still trying to pull it off though, and may re-release the product line later.

The 'Mitsui Gold Ultra 24x' was an excellent piece of media and damn expensive, too (around 1,40€ apiece) ... it featured a true 24 karats gold reflector and phtalocyanine dye. Personally, I did never encounter media with lower BLER (even TY was ... erm ... 'worse').

Problem is that Mitsui had a cheaper media type simply called 'Mitsui Gold' which was a PITA (Pain In The Ass, that is) ... low compatibility, paired with high error rates and low life expectation made Mitsui's reputation go down the drain.

Unfortunately, they did not produce any more Gold Ultra because nobody bought them ... additionally, after converting Mitsui to MAM-E, everything got worse so MAM-E cannot be considered a quality manufacturer any more these days (take a look at their DVD media - it's pure crap on any burner).

< Message edited by JeanLuc -- 6/29/2004 11:27:24 AM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> metal stabilized dyes DVDr Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI