CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Dual layer DVD burners   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 482 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Dual layer DVD burners Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dual layer DVD burners - 4/30/2004 8:01:58 AM   
Tony Veglis

Hello guys,

Do you believe dual layer DVD burners will have a market success? I suppose all you DVD enthousisasts are looking forward to seeing the first drives or even own one, but are you expecting to see a massive market trend as we experienced when the first DVD burner (4.7GB) appeared?

Personal opinion:
- DVD R DL Media manufacturing is very hard and the quality control required does not allow massive production.
- The format will not be supported by the majority of Taiwanese media manufacturers, for obvious reasons
- Thus, availability of media and high price will be a problem
- Recording at 2.4x will require more than 1,5hrs for 8.5GB. Will you spend this time waiting for the drive to finish or just use a 4.7GB disc to fit your DVD movie in just 6-7 min?
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 4/30/2004 9:21:39 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Tony Veglis)
  Post #: 2
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 4/30/2004 10:13:54 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I think the drives will sell like hotcakes... the media on the other hand is something completely different. Some people will pay anything to get their hands on it, but the majority of people will probably not want to spend more then $2-$5 per disc... and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

On the other hand, I don't think blu-ray or AOD will go over very well either. I think many people have invested a lot of money in their home entertainment systems, and won't be overly into the idea of completely replacing them with the "latest and greatest" new format... even if it *IS* pretty impressive.

Personally, I'm getting more and more interested in dual layer media (although purely for testing purposes) but I have almost no interest in blu-ray or AOD technology at the moment.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 3
[Deleted] - 4/30/2004 10:44:54 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
  Post #: 4
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 4/30/2004 12:44:47 PM   
emperor

The problem would be the media price Dolphy, since would be much higher than current DVD±R/RW media, since only (for now?) Mitsubishi Chemicals manufacturers them and since most manufacturers will have to invest new lines ($$$) of production to create +R9 DL media. Lastly the production would be limited, high demand, low volume -> high prices!

For sure drives will sell like hotcakes, however...Imagine buying a +R9 DL drive and have no media to burn? That would be funny

Anyway soon we will find out...won't we?

Post #: 5
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 4/30/2004 11:56:23 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

The problem would be the media price Dolphy, since would be much higher than current DVD±R/RW media, since only (for now?) Mitsubishi Chemicals manufacturers them and since most manufacturers will have to invest new lines ($$$) of production to create +R9 DL media. Lastly the production would be limited, high demand, low volume -> high prices!

For sure drives will sell like hotcakes, however...Imagine buying a +R9 DL drive and have no media to burn? That would be funny

Anyway soon we will find out...won't we?

Actually, you are wrong by at least one, and possibly even two manufacturers

Maxell is already mass producing their DVD+R9's and I expect my own samples to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Maxell has stated that they expect their DVD+R9s to be on the shelves by sometime in June, to match up with the release of Sony's dual layer burner the DRU700a. However, Maxell is often a little slow, but still... they've been working on this for some time now.

Also, I have heard rumours that CMC is already assisting MCC/MKM with their DVD+R9 manufacturing (under the MCC code), which will very quickly reduce the price of the media. I don't have an estimated street value yet though.

As for Blu-Ray technology, I'm told that the release date for Maxell's media in North America had to be pushed back significantly because the Japanese market took it all. Supposedly Japan is all over the Blu-Ray stuff! or at least that's what my friend at Maxell told me.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 6
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/1/2004 5:55:59 AM   
MP3Mogul

I'll be staying away from dual layer for quite some time, because I don't really have a need for it with DVD media being at the price it is now. I don't need to pay double or triple prices for what I can do now with regular media, not to mention that you will have to purchase a new drive as well.

Post #: 7
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/1/2004 9:26:01 AM   
emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex
Actually, you are wrong by at least one, and possibly even two manufacturers

I mentioned MCC as the only manufacturer for now, since is the only manufacturer that actually produces DL media and be able to deliver manufacturers/reviewers for testing, even at small quantities.

Maxell and others (Ritek, Infodisc, etc..) may start selling media at the next coming months but not before MCC (aka Verbatim) does.

Post #: 8
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/1/2004 11:59:33 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

It might be different in Canada... Verbatim doesn't seem to care about us Canucks

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 9
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/2/2004 5:34:47 PM   
emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex
It might be different in Canada... Verbatim doesn't seem to care about us Canucks

Post #: 10
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/3/2004 12:19:33 AM   
dvd17

Can someone please tell me the name of the DVD burner drive that can burn Dual layer Disc?

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 11
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/3/2004 12:39:43 AM   
emperor

BenQ DW830A

(in reply to dvd17)
Post #: 12
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/6/2004 10:34:59 AM   
derwood5555

I just finished reading an article on the new Sony DVD R9 burner over at Anandtech.
It mentioned that the Sony drive uses the MediaTek MT1818E chipset, which is also used by the LiteOn SOHW 812 and a few others. What are the chances that LiteOn and the other manufacturers will release updated firmware that will allow DL burning on these drives?

Or, is it more likely that someone will hack the firmware?

(in reply to Tony Veglis)
Post #: 13
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/6/2004 11:28:37 AM   
emperor

I don't think LiteOn, at least officially, will ever allow 812S users to upgrade to 832S. Its normal for a company to want selling new drives with the Double Layer recording on board. However...there are already some *hacked* firmware that can transform a 812S->832S. I am pretty sure that sooner or later will appear around the net.

PS. Sony DRU-700A is actually a LiteOn SOHW-832S OEM drive, Sony doesn't manufacture drives anymore...

(in reply to derwood5555)
Post #: 14
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/7/2004 1:22:45 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

I don't think LiteOn, at least officially, will ever allow 812S users to upgrade to 832S. Its normal for a company to want selling new drives with the Double Layer recording on board. However...there are already some *hacked* firmware that can transform a 812S->832S. I am pretty sure that sooner or later will appear around the net.

PS. Sony DRU-700A is actually a LiteOn SOHW-832S OEM drive, Sony doesn't manufacture drives anymore...

Umm, are you 100% sure on that? I've heard rumours that Sony was working on their own drive, but had to settle for a combined effort between their own technology and LiteON's, and though based on the same chipset, the LiteON 832s and the Sony DRU700a are still different in some aspects (beyond firmware). Mind you, I don't know this for sure, so that's why I'm asking.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 15
RE: Dual layer DVD burners - 5/7/2004 3:53:03 AM   
emperor

At least the DRU700A considered as a LiteOn OEM from many sources, we will see ourselfs when the drive comes in our labs, among with LiteOn 832S

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Dual layer DVD burners Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI