CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

vcds and cdr/w compatabilty   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1238 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> vcds and cdr/w compatabilty Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 7/24/2002 11:41:57 AM   
sixxkiller

hi there
was wondering if the type of media can affect the playback off vcds on my pc or my home dvd player

i recently got a lend of some vcds and they will not play in either my pc with media plyer 7.1 or my stand alone player an oritron 100 with vcd playback enabled
theres no brand name on the discs so any help would be helpful

yours a frustrated movie fan

Anthony Parsons
Post #: 1
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 7/26/2002 3:40:29 AM   
Vort3xxX

On computers, I don't see any difference with different brands of cdr; If your drive reads it it reads it, but on your standalone dvd player, cdr choice can make a difference and the devices can be picky. There is no general rule that applies to vcds on dvd players. Checkout http://www.vcdhelp.com and go to their dvd players section. Lookup your dvd player and read the user reviews. They will invariably include descriptions of what media work best and worst with the device. Probaly the most popular as far as compatablilty with stubborn dvd players (if you're going to be making them for other people) is suprisingly the cheap green digital media cdrs in circuit city produced by princo (only the ones by princo). The only downshot of that media is that you can't put labels on it without risking damage to the surface.

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 2
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 7/26/2002 10:43:01 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Vort3xxX
You Say "On computers, I don't see any difference with different brands of cdr; If your drive reads it it reads it, but on your standalone dvd player, cdr choice can make a difference and the devices can be picky."
You don't know how wrong you are. That is like saying That a Lada is as good as a Rolls Royce ! The issue is that how long you want them to last and the quality of the data once it has been writen on to the CD. And some of the cheaper media cannot be even recognised as a CDR in some Writers. And also with the very rough media only little wrong touch and you have a scratch that makes it unreadable !
As you have contradicted yourself on your other post about CMC Disks at :-
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4416

As me owd Mate Clint would say "You get what you pay for "
You pay Peanuts you get Monkey's

Laffin Assassin

Always remember to Pillage BEFORE you Burn

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/26/2002 11:20:36

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 3
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 7/26/2002 10:49:03 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi sixxkiller
Are you sure that the VCD's are VCD's and not SVCD or DIVX as these somtimes need special software to play them in your Computer and are you sure that they work in other Computers or DVD Players I have also noticed that your Oritron 100 has an optional extra for SVCD in Europe but in the USA it comes as standard !

Laffin Assassin

Always remember to Pillage BEFORE you Burn

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 4
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/2/2002 1:32:23 PM   
sixxkiller

ty v much laffin assasin m8

was wondering if u could recommend a cdr brand that will be both good and cheap (if there is such a thing).

also does anyone know if the 99min cdrs are any good?

remember were all mad just on different levels

Anthony Parsons

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 5
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/2/2002 4:36:42 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi sixxkiller
Well I use Ritek 32x 80min Unbranded and Intenso 32x 80min and I don't have a problem with either of them !!!

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 6
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 3:44:08 PM   
Graffitti

Since VCD and SVCDs're written in mode2, they're very easily corruptable. For my VCDs and SVCDS, I strictly use Taiyo Yudens. I've had VCDs on CMC stored in their own cd sleeves in a box and they started devevloping artifacts during playback after just 1 year while all my TYs're still in perfect condition.

With my yamaha burner, I also record the VCDs in Audio Master mode if I can, which I'm not sure, but should help in longetivity of the VCD itself.

Not sure how good Ritek are since I can't find any of them here in the US. All we got here locally're TY's and CMC. UGH....

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 7
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 5:16:09 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi
You Say "With my yamaha burner, I also record the VCDs in Audio Master mode if I can, which I'm not sure, but should help in longetivity of the VCD itself."
You are only supposed to use Audio Master for what is meant for and that is for Audio Tracks !!!
In case you can't find it This is what Yamaha have to say :-

Advanced Audio Master quality recording

This feature offers the best sound quality for home-burned music CDs - which are almost comparable with Audio Master CDs!
"The benchmark is the original" is the Audio Master concept. Thanks to this function, any disturbances in the audio-digital data flow, so-called jitter, are reduced considerably in order to achieve the best possible sound quality of audio tracks on CD-R disks. This results in a distinctly audible clarity in the high and medium sound range, full bass reproduction and convincing spatial presentation, thus permitting reproduction which is true to the original.
When the CRW-F1 series is in Audio Master mode, longer pits and lands compared to normal audio mode are written at speeds of up to 8x resulting in the following storage capacities of CD blanks: 650 MB - 63 mins., 700 MB - 68 mins. and 870 MB - 79 mins.

Laffin Assassin

New Hardware & Software isn't released it's allowed to escape !!!

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 08/06/2002 20:44:45

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 8
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 5:47:12 PM   
Graffitti

well.. even though audio mastering is only suppose to be meant for audio. it can be used for VCD also. Give it a swirl. You'll see that you can use it. But of course whether or not you really gain anything from it is undertermined. Plus I don't think it'd hurt to have a VCD with a more well defined lands and pits especially since you might as well make use of the extra space that's gonna be left over anyway. And since jitters're the same thing as C1/C2 errors and that the point of having audio mastering is to reduce these jitters/C1/C2 errors, wouldn't it be safe to assume that it'd help with the quality of the VCD? Now of course on the longetivity side, I'm not sure if it benefits at all from it since I don't think I've seen any tests on whether audio mastering helps with that.

All in all.. I can see possible benefits of doing audio mastering on VCDs since VCDs are also in Mode2 like audio cds, and I don't see any harm in recording it with audio mastering. Might as well put the entire cd to good use if the empty space is just there sitting around looking pretty.

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 9
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 6:35:45 PM   
Laffin Assassin

I will repeat once again I cannot see where you will get any benefit from using Audio Master for doing VCD's (even if you could use it )for a start even with just Audio files you could only use about 64 minutes of a 74 minute CD and about 70 minutes of an 80 minute CD and that would be done at either 4x or 8x with your CRW-F1 instead of 44x. And also that means using 3 cd's instead of using 2 for an average Film and that is even if you could use it so what is the sense in that! You say you have already used it how did you know that Nero used it and if you are going to do another one can you post the Nero Log for it Please. I am not knocking you I am just curious ! No where on any of the Yamaha sites does it mention that they recommend it for VCD's all they say is it is for Audio Files and you would think that they would publish it if it did make a difference as this would be a big selling point wouldn't it. (Where are you MP3mogul when I need you )

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 10
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 7:13:27 PM   
Graffitti

here's the nero log
http://home.austin.rr.com/afabric/Log.txt

I went off an fired off an email to yamaha to ask them about it. Maybe they can offer some addition insight on this.

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 11
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 7:51:26 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Yeah that is a good Idea Mate I have done the same to Yamaha Europe !
Well from the Log it does look like you have done it but it still is very hard to tell if it was sucessful How much of the CD was used with this compaired to one you wrote without Audio Master !!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 12
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 8:20:54 PM   
Graffitti

http://home.austin.rr.com/afabric/DSC00235.JPG

here's a pic of the 2 cds. the one on left's the original, and the one on the right's the new copy I made with audio master.

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 13
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 8:41:13 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Well it is hard to see with the Photos but they do look like different Media can you tell me the total sizes of the files on each cd please !!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 14
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 9:35:00 PM   
Graffitti

audio mastering doesn't work that way. It doesn't add any extra data then what is original there, so you can't compare the two cds by querying the cd on how much space it's taking up, or how many mins're burned since all that'll do is have the cdrw check the TOC of the media and the end result is that you'll get the same exact thing on both the non audio master version and the audio master version. Only way would be to actually look at the cdr and see how much space it's taking up on the dye substrate. Now if you were able to do multisession on a audio master, then you could tell by queurying how much empty space is avaliable, but since audio mastering doesn't allow you to do multisession, that more or less screws that idea over.

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 15
RE: vcds and cdr/w compatabilty - 8/6/2002 9:56:38 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Yeah I will agree with that but we will have to wait untill Yamaha come back with answer to our E-Mails as I have no VCD'S here I cannot do a test. Anyway lets wait and see for now ! But I still can't believe that Yamaha have not mentioned it anwhere or.
JohnHave you heard of anything about this Issue before, it's a new one to me !!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to sixxkiller)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> vcds and cdr/w compatabilty Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI