CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Computer blues   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1026 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Computer blues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer blues - 7/19/2002 6:28:47 AM   
Tron

Ok this is one for the experts, I am lost on this one. My dad just got a Gateway computer, it has a Pentium 4, and runs XP home. It runs well. He shuts it down and all seems well until the phone rings, or you pick up the phone to call out. When either of these happen, the dang thing boots back up to Windows. You could have it off for a week, as long as nobody calls, or you don't pick up the phone to call out, the computer works fine. But as soon as that phone rings, or you pick up the handset to call out, it comes up! I have tried everything I know, he called Gateway support and they have no idea either! I know it has to be something simple. He is reluctent to send it in for service because he does not know how long it will take to get back. I told him that I would post this question and see if I could not get an answer for him...... Anyone know of a solution? Right now we have it set up on a power strip and once down we just click off the power to solve the issue, but I would like o still fix it! Thanks everyone.............

Visit www.cdrtimes.net too. Another great place....
Post #: 1
RE: Computer blues - 7/19/2002 11:39:08 AM   
john

I think you should try looking in the PC bios to turn off the wake on ring setting

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 2
RE: Computer blues - 7/19/2002 6:13:35 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Tron
John IS right Wake on Ring enables the computer to wake from sleep or soft-off mode when a call is received on a telephony device, such as a faxmodem. The first incoming call powers up the computer.
To disable this go into the Bios and also if Wake on Lan is enabled disable that as well if it is not in the bios there will be a jumper on the motherboard if you need to know where the jumper is just tell me what your motherboard is (either 850 or 845 chipset) and I will tell you if there is a jumper and where it is !!!
I hope this Helps Mate !!!

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/19/2002 18:14:55

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 3
RE: Computer blues - 7/19/2002 8:53:06 PM   
Tron

I did check that and it seems to be set correctly, but even if it were wrong, would this have caused the computer to boot up from off. It was not in Standby or even Hybernate. As a matter of fact, if I put it in Standby mode it would not come back on when the phone rang. This is too strange......

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 4
RE: Computer blues - 7/19/2002 9:38:40 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Right the next thing to do is check if you have Mega Phone installed If you have left the Gateway set up the same as you got it you should have it as it is Gateways Communication software and it comes already installed. With MegaPhone you can place and receive calls, send and receive faxes. So the first thing to do is uninstall it and reboot your computer then see if it is still booting up when the phone rings !!!!

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 5
RE: Computer blues - 7/21/2002 2:15:51 PM   
Tron

You must be reading my mind.... I have just done that and it still is turning on, so I was going to come here and tell you that I uninstalled it, and here you are suggesting it...lol...

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 6
RE: Computer blues - 7/21/2002 2:35:38 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Well if it is still turning on have you got any other Fax programs installed if you have uninstall them and the try it !!
If you haven't it is either a jumper on the Motherboard or in the Bios that can be the only other reason !!!
Tell me which Motherboard your Dad has and we can sort it out in seconds Is it the 850 or the 845 chipset! Just give me the first group of the bios if you are not sure it will show it something like :-
GB85010A or HV84510A when it first boots!!!!!

Laffin Assassin

CD-ROM ---- Consumer Device, Rendered Obsolete in Months !!!
The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in !!!
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on them ???

(in reply to Tron)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Computer blues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI