CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors??   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1120 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 12:00:26 PM   
mike35

Can anyone tell me how they rate the Lite-on Cdrw's compared to the Plextor Cdrw's? I've always had Plextors in the past and am considering a change to the 48x Lite-on....

Post #: 1
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 3:05:05 PM   
NotaHacker

I'll be nice.... I think this topic has been killed already on this forum.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 2
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 4:57:14 PM   
john

It depends...Maybe the phrase "you get what you pay" means something?

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 3
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 5:29:21 PM   
Laffin Assassin

It also depends wether you want 2 years warrenty or virtualy no warrenty and if you want Good customer support or no customer support !!
All joking apart if you want to just copy games get the Lite-on.
If you want a good allrounder CD Writer but not perfect with Safedisk 2.5 unless you use Clone CD AWS but with good customer support and 2 years warrenty in Europe get the Plextor.

Hey Mike !!! Also it will work with Norton Ghost 2002 !!!!

But if it were me I would wait a few weeks for The Yamaha CRW-F1 to come out this is going to be some Super machine ( I hope but we will have to see ) !!!!

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/11/2002 17:33:12

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 4
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 8:48:48 PM   
Clint

You also should know that the Lite-On drives are nothing of the quality of the Plextor's.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 5
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 8:55:18 PM   
Clint

And their *really* small 2MB buffer is not good, when the PleXWriter's 24X & 40X come with a 4MB buffer cache...
And Yamaha's with 8MB, but Mitsumi (some of 'em) with a whopping 16MB buffer!!

Laffin Assasin pretty much sumed it up though, you decide (for copying purposes):

Do you want to copy protected audio CD's --> Plextor

Do you want perfect SafeDisc v2.51.021+ protection backups --> Lite-On

Plextor also has VariREC function on the PX-W4012TA/TU and PleXCombo recorders.

Plextor has MUCH better tech support.

But Plextor is more expensive and Lite-On is dirt cheap.

Edited by - Clint on 07/11/2002 20:57:32

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 6
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/11/2002 11:49:56 PM   
NotaHacker

OK.. I'll get in to this!!!
Whats wrong with a 2mb buffer. Maybe thats a reason to charge more money because I never get buffer underruns with my liteon. What about being pick with disc? As far as warranty goes my first burner was a philips 3610 thats still works and they say that was the biggest junk. Any burner that I ever had including the plexcrap someone is still using. As far as tech support goes your never going to get better then what you get in this forum. I don't know about you but I haven't found any so called tech at any big company yet that I though knew what they where talking about. I've also never sent back a burner. As far as you get what you pay for and this is probably my biggest beef with plexcrap if you pay the most and their suppose to be the best why aren't they the first to send out a flash to fix their drives when they are still in production to copy a new protection? You remember that I do thats why I don't like plexcrap. I'm talking about the first SD2, you would think with the amount of money they charge (back then they where even higher then today) they would come out with a flash to fix them!! How's that for customer support, most drive can only write a disc with SD2 that can only be read in the drive. As far as audio they have a number of ways to get around it. Why have a cd with 2 songs on it that I like when I can have a cd with 200 or 300 songs I like. See everyone seems to trash liteon for sending out drive with problems and sending out a flash to fix it later how about trashing a company for not!!! For a company thats has a such great tech support I think they have a rep for leaving their customers high and dry an I think history is repeating it self. So I think I geting my moneys worth at half the price. Also before you say how about liteon and the audio problem lets not forget how big plexcrap is and the difference in price we pay for their products. Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 7
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 5:25:10 AM   
netman

c'mon notahacker, don't hold back. tell us how you REALLY feel.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 8
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 7:00:07 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hey netman
Don't REV him up I don't think he has any Teddy's left to throw out of his Pram

All joking apart I will say that up untill Plextor made the 12x CDRW there was nothing that could touch them for Quality and Reliablity but I still say that either Plextor or Sanyo did a deal with Microvision (the makers of Safedisk)otherwise Plextor would have never changed the firmware on the 12x as when it was first released it would do Safedisk then they release a new firmware that cannot be reversed (at that time ) and once it had been upgraded it would not do Safedisk 2 and even the new Plextors have problems with Safedisk 2.5 and this is not like Plextor when new protection came out they always had a new firmware or a new model CDRW to cover this. But alas no more but it is not a problem with the help of Clone CD. A lot of Manufacturers are now moving away from Sanyo this is why I do think it was Sanyo who did the deal with Microvision and this could see a big change in the new Plextor 48x they know that they have lost their top spot in the CD Writer market and I do think they will do something drastic to get that Top spot back but what they will do we won't know untill the new Model comes out.

I know this had been said many times before but some Newbies will have never seen this and I think they have a right to know why some people hate Plextor so much.
I don't hate them by the way but I also don't love them anymore

Laffin Assassin

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/12/2002 07:01:22

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 9
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 7:35:00 AM   
Clint

It's a chipset limitation of the PX-W2410TA/TU and PX-W4012TA/TU that they cannot write (*PERFECTLY*) SD v2.51.021 plus. Plextor or Sanyo have absolutely no agreement with MacroVision, otherwise, why would the Plextor's perfectly cut all versions of SD2 up to and including v2.51.020

However, they support *almost* correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns. Up 'till SD v2.51.021, they were deemed to support *CORRECT* EFM encoding of RBP. Anyway, they can create copys that work anywhere with AWS.

Yamaha's cannot even write any SD2 version perfect. Plextor's could write all versions of SD2 under 2.51.021 absolutely *PERFECT*

MacroVision needed a revision of SD2 to stop the Plextor's and writers based on the Philips chipsets (Acer etc, which were very popular for SD2 writing) from making perfect copies and they suceeded

Trust me, if it was a firmware issue, it would have been fixed many, many months ago...

@ Nothacking person,

I don't care really. I have no allegance to any company. I have the PX-W2410A, and Lite-On's LTR-32125W and LTR-48125W and all I can say is that the Lite-On's save you a minute or so in the write and the "feel" of them is cheap and shoddely manufactered and poor quality made, to cost the bare minimum to their bottom line. However, they are no doubt a very good buy for the money. (like L.A. said, "BIC shavers, disposable and cheap assed crap" )

Lite-On can't even put their logo on the front of their drives, instead stick a sh!tty URL sticker on it

And they try to beat Plextor to release the faster recorder, and forget to have a "decent" firmware that works. (You have to wait a few weeks until they finnaly tune it a bit so it can actually write a CD ).

I thought that the PX-W4012A WASN'T a very good drive to what the competition offered. There were simply too many limitations for my liking... Like RAW-DAO writing was limited to 32X and CD-DA writing was limited to 24X. I simply didn't like that so I never got the W4012A.
But come on, there was NO better recorder out than the PX-W2410A at the time of it's release.
No question about it.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 10
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 7:48:51 AM   
Clint

And a buffer of 2MB is to small. Virtually, if you move the mouse at 48X writing with a 2MB buffer SMART-BURN activtes. Also with 2MB, and 48X writing the buffer empties in less that a quarter of a second!!!

That's pretty much no buffer at all, at such ultra speeds like that. I don't like burn-proof gaps. I like a good burn with zero activations of buffer underrun technology of the drive, and I can't get it with the Lite-On and writing at 48X! Unless I don't touch or open any proggie .

4MB isn't much better but it's better than 2MB, but never the less, its a better cache. Thats why I'll probably get the Yamaha CRW-F1 if its good in the review .

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 11
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 8:11:06 AM   
NotaHacker

From what I read in Maximum PC (august 20002), So far I would have to agree with Clint on getiing the yamaha CRW-F1 as my next burner. But that is the only thing I agree with him about.

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 12
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 8:29:07 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hey Clint
I never said "BIC shavers, disposable and cheap assed crap"

What I did say was "Personaly I don't like Lite-on much because they are Just like a Bic Replaceable Razor - Cheap, not a very good finish, and scratch like Hell". But they do the job they are supposed to do (While they are working )
Please get your spelling right !!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 13
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 8:41:34 AM   
Clint

Sorry, should have checked L.A.

Pretty much same thing anyway

I wouldn't have worried anyway...

Good stuff hacker

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 14
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 8:47:29 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Yeah but all my Comments are Copywrited and I know you love Copywrites as much as I do so I thought I had better put things right !!!!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 15
RE: How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? - 7/12/2002 8:55:33 AM   
Clint

quote:

Yeah but all my Comments are Copywrited and I know you love Copywrites as much as I do so I thought I had better put things right !!!!!!

Are they protected with RCP2 region coding and SD3 plus CD checks??

I think not...

(in reply to mike35)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> How do Lite-on's compare to Plextors?? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI