CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1333 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 8:41:34 AM   
Wiseguy

Hi guy's

I am thinking about replacing my Afreely 50x with LiteOn's DVD.

What will I gain and loose besides being able to play DVD's?
Things like DAE, RAW, speed and so on.

Burn Baby Burn!!
Reader: Afreey 50x
Writer: Liteon 24x
Burning on the Fly!
Always one problem or another!
Post #: 1
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 10:06:40 AM   
Laffin Assassin

The Lite-On LTD163, a 16x DVD-ROM drive can extract audio at FULL 20-48x speed, which is a real record among single beam optical drives. Data transfer rates are similar and on a full CD averaging more than 37x. The DVD performance is also excellent, 11.92x on average.
I repeated the tests with CDR media and it showed even slightly better speeds for data and audio! Reading from CD-RW, transfer rate is quite lower, about half as much as with other media.

Noise level is very agreeable. When it spins at full speed it sounds a lot like a fan, as if you hear air flowing, it doesn't have the high pitched jet engine impression, which I heard from some other optic drives. It also balances the discs very good, much better than my Sony CRX140E or my Aopen 32x CDROM. While playing movies or music it's very quite, you can only hear it if you put your ear right next to it.

Also the abort and eject times are very good. Recognition time is with 9 seconds acceptable.

For CloneCd users: it reads RAW and subchannel data from audio and data CD's. I made subchannel images and Clone hasn't report any problem.

I hope this helps !

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 2
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 12:41:40 PM   
Wiseguy

quote:

I hope this helps !

Laffin Assassin

Yes that was very informative. Thanks!
But, Where would the Afreely shine over the LT-DVD?

Burn Baby Burn!!
Burning on the Fly!

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 3
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 4:20:21 PM   
Dartman

I have one and everything LA says is true but it can be a bit picky with dirty or scratched media, it also will not rip protected audio CD's. I really like mine anyways, it's faster at DAE then my Plex 40 wide, the plex will do protected audio CD's however and it's error correction is still top notch.
As long as what your trying to rip is clean with no major errors that Liteon will fly, I got over 50 on a long audio CD.

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 4
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 5:20:25 PM   
Wiseguy

quote:

I have one and everything LA says is true but it can be a bit picky with dirty or scratched media, it also will not rip protected audio CD's.

So then what DVD Drive will do Protected audio CD's?

Burn Baby Burn!!
Burning on the Fly!

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 5
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 6:34:20 PM   
Dartman

Well I think my old toshiba 1202 will but evrything about it is dog slow. I don't know for sure that any of the newer DVD's will.
No drive is perfect, you have to pick the most important features to you and get the closest fit most of the time. The protected thing is the only real maybe bad thing about the Liteon. Some of those disks can be bypassed by marking out the second band on the disk with a black marker anyways.
I know the 32 and 40 Plex will do them with EAC and manually detect TOC enabled.
I wouldn't get too excited about it unless you have every protected cd in your collection and want to make backups for yourself.
Someone might hack the bios sometime to make them rip them down the road. When I put in a copy of one then the liteon would rip it just fine, probably some marker the bios looks for to turn off DAE.
You might want to do a keyword type search and see how other drives do, maybe one will do what you want better, maybe not, thats how I found this place when I wanted a new burner that could backup my games. They have quite a few reviews right here, some places mention games and protected stuff, some don't because of where they are and like that.

Edited by - Dartman on 06/28/2002 18:36:58

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 6
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 7:19:04 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Well Olli the creator of Clone CD acually says on the Clone CD website
" Although all DVD/CD Readers work with CloneCD, only a few read subchannel data. We recommend TOSHIBA DVD-Readers for reading "

And nobody knows better than him which Readers to use with Clone CD !

But it a hard descision to make some will say The Lite-on are best and others will say the Toshiba. Me I went for the Toshiba SD-1502 - 16x/48x in my personal computer and I have got 4 computers and one of them has the Lite-on 163. But I have had the Toshiba for over a Year and I have had no problems at all. But there again I mostly use my Writers for doing most of the Reading when I am backing up anyway ! And as Dartman says no drive is perfect !

Laffin Assassin

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 06/28/2002 19:24:13

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 7
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/28/2002 10:59:23 PM   
crazed burner

I have both LiteOn-LTD163D and Afreey 50X and I still use both of them. LTD163D is good reader and has fast DAE, but sometimes will produce heaps of errors reading a poorly produced Karaoke VCD to image file. Then I will use Afreey 50X to read this bad disc and often come out with zero error, but at the expense of longer time ... Afreey 50X can read VCD at 8x speed only even though the DAE for music audio is more than 30X. The factory has set the reading speed for VCD at 8X but reads almost perfectly at this speed.

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 8
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 6/29/2002 6:16:57 PM   
R00KIE

I have a tosh SD-M1502 and the drive is great when it comes to read data but if you need it to read audio you better forget it, slow like hell and if you try do do random seeks it misses the spot by 2 frames (subchannel), tested with cdspeed. for sequencial reading it is fine.
but i still recomend it, sometime when even my plextors fail to read some cds the tosh reads them like a champ.

R00KIE

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 9
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/2/2002 4:36:17 PM   
digi

quote:

The Lite-On LTD163, a 16x DVD-ROM drive can extract audio at FULL 20-48x speed, which is a real record among single beam optical drives. Data transfer rates are similar and on a full CD averaging more than 37x. The DVD performance is also excellent, 11.92x on average.
I repeated the tests with CDR media and it showed even slightly better speeds for data and audio! Reading from CD-RW, transfer rate is quite lower, about half as much as with other media.

Noise level is very agreeable. When it spins at full speed it sounds a lot like a fan, as if you hear air flowing, it doesn't have the high pitched jet engine impression, which I heard from some other optic drives. It also balances the discs very good, much better than my Sony CRX140E or my Aopen 32x CDROM. While playing movies or music it's very quite, you can only hear it if you put your ear right next to it.

Also the abort and eject times are very good. Recognition time is with 9 seconds acceptable.

For CloneCd users: it reads RAW and subchannel data from audio and data CD's. I made subchannel images and Clone hasn't report any problem.

I hope this helps !

Laffin Assassin

LA,
When you copy&paste a report of mine, at least have the decency to give me the credit for it.
Posting it just as if you are the person who wrote it is NOT the way to do it.

You don't have to ask for a written permission, just say who you are copying/quoting from.

Anybody who might want to see my original report can go here:
http://sysopt.earthweb.com/userreviews/dvd/reviewhtml/LiteOn_LTD-163.html
or here:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/LiteOn_LTD163/userreviews.html

Cheers

LiteOn ltd163 - info, firmwares, region freedom :
http://digitri.tk
http://kickme.to/digitri

Edited by - digi on 07/02/2002 17:16:25

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 10
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/2/2002 5:43:56 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hey digi
I did not know it was your report I found this on another forum, at the moment I cannot for the life of me find it again (But when I do I will e-mail you the URL )but it was found on the 16th Jan ( and it was not from either of the Url's you have supplied as I have never been to the site before but it does look quite interesting ) and it was not signed by anyone it was just from a reply and I found it in the files I keep cataloged on my hard-drive which are numerous if it was signed by ANYONE I would have given them credit for it and if it was yours originally you would have had the credit for it as I always give credit when it is due !!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 11
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/3/2002 4:41:20 AM   
digi

Ahem (cough)... even if you found it "unsigned" in some forum it wouldn't be more than fair to mention the names of the poster and the forum.

And when you happened to copy it but forgot where from, you could at least mention that fact.

MHO anyway.. and no grudge to you L.A.

いいいいい greetings from digi (a.k.a dimitri) いいいいい
LiteOn ltd163 - info, firmwares, region freedom:

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 12
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/3/2002 11:51:24 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Enough Said Then !!!!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 13
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/4/2002 10:25:48 AM   
digi

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This image is Copyrighted
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 14
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/4/2002 11:36:44 AM   
Laffin Assassin

This image is Copyrighted
I bet it is not your's
How come someone who preachers so much does not follow what he preachers. There is no mention of where you got this gif from. Oh dear!!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 15
RE: LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x - 7/4/2002 1:24:44 PM   
digi

HA HA HA!
Look who is talking!
I'm being lectured by someone who has stolen from me, that's BIG.

For your information this image is indeed not mine, it comes from an animation site that gives an explicit permission to use it freely.

Just like this image:

I'm not going to reply to this thread anymore, bye.

(in reply to Wiseguy)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> LiteOn DVD vs AFreely 50x Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI