CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Buying a Plextor   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1169 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/22/2002 8:31:14 PM   
john

Not really. Yamaha keeps an interesting silence upon this issue. I imagine somewhere during June, a drive will arrive.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 65
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/22/2002 8:52:00 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Thanks for the info mate you will probibly get your hands on one faster than I will if I find anymore info on it I will post it straight away but I cannot find one scrap of info on the net yet and that is not like me.

It's Nice to be Importent But is more importent to be NICE!!!

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 66
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/22/2002 10:02:01 PM   
burner1000000

The myth about the plex 12x with Safedisc and the Plex 24 with CDS have been disproved many times. Do a search of the internet and you should find burns that disprove both, if the posts are not too old. However, it is hard to kill many rumors and myths. They seem to spring back up when you least expect it.

Just as the rumor about plex or whomever and Macrovision never seems to quite die. Trust me, Macrovision needs no help. They are doing quite well without it. SD2xxxxxx was just playing around compared to what they say is coming. The rumors about recent sightings are just a taste. We know there exists the technology to make each CD "unique". The big question is whether the costs have been brought in line, yet. For that matter, Tages already has been marketed in a limited manner and all current examples of workable copies of a Tages protected disk have been shown to be false, I believe.

There is a lot of money in copy protection these days and many who work on it feel that it is a righteous crusade, as well. Since many people support the adding of copy protections to protect the artists' and developers' rights, it is going to be difficult for law abiding citizens to make copies soon. You might want to lobby your own legislative bodies to prevent them from cutting off what has always been understood as your legal right - the right to make archival copies. In the U.S., the battle gets more fierce every day.

The companies are trying to get the passage of legislation that will make it illegal to make any copies of protected software (even for your own safekeeping). As John has mentioned, others are posturing to follow if the U.S. Congress sides with the big companies. They know that billions of dollars of illegal copies are made every year and they are not happy about it. Unfortunately, many law abiding citizens could go down with the pirates in this process.

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 67
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/22/2002 10:41:43 PM   
john

As a addition to Burner1000's comments, read some of the news posted in the main page today

Maybe Macrovision moves to areas like StarForce and Tages and makes new SD3 impossible to backup? As soon new games come out we will find out.

As i said, the fun just began. Probably in few months (or years?), recorders will denie copying protected CDs

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 68
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/22/2002 10:59:11 PM   
clawso1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You might want to lobby your own legislative bodies to prevent them from cutting off what has always been understood as your legal right -the right to make archival copies. In the U.S., the battle gets more fierce every day.

The companies are trying to get the passage of legislation that will make it illegal to make any copies of protected software (even for your own safekeeping."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why the courts aren't enforcing the above mentioned statement! If it's presently legal to make "Archive Copies" then why aren't companies like Microvision NOT prosecuted by the prevailing laws governing this issue?! What will it take to have this to happen in this country? Everyone, but everyone is aware of it, no "Prosecutory" bodies are even doing anything worthwhile.

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/22/2002 23:02:27

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 69
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 1:09:35 AM   
Clint

The U.S. is a sad place sometimes when issues like this pop up. We here in Oz don't worry about all that sh!t. Although, it's getting worse everyday, no matter what part of the world you reside.

Laffin, I think burner1000000's comments on the matter of the Plextor and MacroVision relation ship are, as he said non-existant . The issues (rumors) like that are started all the time about Plextor, because they are a proud, proven company - and compitition hate that.

Also I never meant to write that you "stole" the story of that article. I meant to write that you *shared the same thoughts* as the author.
I also know this has been disproved. I have never seen a PleXWriter 12/10/32 write regular bit patterns 100% *CORRECTLY* that work in every drive, and even with the early firmwares.

The only reason you couldn't flash a PX-W1210A with firmware v1.00-v1.04 with TLA# above 0000 is for the same reason, you *CANNOT* flash a PX-W2410A TLA#0303 (pre-installed v1.03) with firmware revision v1.00 - THEY CHANGED THE HARDWARE!

Edited by - Clint on 05/23/2002 01:14:35

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 70
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 5:47:58 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi John
You said "Maybe Macrovision moves to areas like StarForce and Tages and makes new SD3 impossible to backup? As soon new games come out we will find out".

I don't think they will ever be able to make a cd impossible to back-up if they put something on the CD there is always someone somewhere who will find a way around it and then leak it to the world so I do still think that the are waisting their time. Anyway SD3 BRING IT ON I am dying to see this fool proof protection!!!!

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 71
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 6:08:18 AM   
john

Soon we will find out ...

Maybe soon in EU have similar laws like in USA that will consider backups as illegals

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 72
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 6:24:46 AM   
Clint

quote:

Maybe soon in EU have similar laws like in USA that will consider backups as illegals

Thats GAY!

Better not/won't happen here! (I hope)

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 73
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 7:57:08 AM   
clawso1

Hey John, this must be the longest THREAD that the forum has ever had isn't it? Man, all of this info, because a guy asked one question! But it's been lots of FUN though, to say the least!!!

Javeryt asked:

"Hi, I'm getting ready to upgrade my current CD-RW drive. I've been looking at Plextor since I've read that they have really good products and tech support. Basically I'm debating whether to get the 24X model or the brand new 40X model, there is less than $20 difference between the price, so I just need to know which one to get. I've read good things about both, but on this site you guys really seem to favor the 24X. I like to brag to my friends that I have the newest and the best though, so that is why I'm having such a hard time! My machine is older, 350 PII, 128 megs of RAM, still runs great though. Any advice?"

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 74
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 8:11:32 AM   
Clint

quote:

Hey John, this must be the longest THREAD that the forum has ever had isn't it? Man, all of this info, because a guy asked one question! But it's been lots of FUN though, to say the least!!!

Javeryt asked:

"Hi, I'm getting ready to upgrade my current CD-RW drive. I've been looking at Plextor since I've read that they have really good products and tech support. Basically I'm debating whether to get the 24X model or the brand new 40X model, there is less than $20 difference between the price, so I just need to know which one to get. I've read good things about both, but on this site you guys really seem to favor the 24X. I like to brag to my friends that I have the newest and the best though, so that is why I'm having such a hard time! My machine is older, 350 PII, 128 megs of RAM, still runs great though. Any advice?"

Regards
Cal

Yeah, I was just thinking that today also...

Wonder why poor Javeryt never was seen agian in this thread!? - it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact it has wondered so far off it's initial question, would it? LOL

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 75
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 2:23:01 PM   
john

> Hey John, this must be the longest THREAD that the forum has ever had isn't it?

Probably yes

Anyway lot of opinion were expressed and of course its nice to see such long threads

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 76
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/23/2002 3:00:20 PM   
clawso1

>"Anyway lot of opinions were expressed and of course its nice to see such long threads."

Yeah, it was very informative, and FUN as well, to say the least! I like GOOD FORUMS, and this is ONE!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 77
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/24/2002 1:26:18 AM   
Clint

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 78
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/24/2002 11:35:43 AM   
Laffin Assassin

OH Good

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 79
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/24/2002 1:59:14 PM   
burner1000000

quote:

I don't understand why the courts aren't enforcing the above mentioned statement! If it's presently legal to make "Archive Copies" then why aren't companies like Microvision NOT prosecuted by the prevailing laws governing this issue?! What will it take to have this to happen in this country? Everyone, but everyone is aware of it, no "Prosecutory" bodies are even doing anything worthwhile.

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/22/2002 23:02:27

It has to do with the DMCA. Check the link here, especially towards the bottom of the article:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2063205

Digital media is treated differently than other media (books, cassettes, VHS, etc. When you buy digital media, you do not own the contents of the media, you are essentially buying the right to use it - similar to a lease. The courts, so far, have backed the companies' right to protect its property. So, any copy of a "copy protected disk" is illegal.

Even in Europe and Australia, it is illegal (or will be soon) to use any device (read CloneCD) to circumvent copy protection schemes. The enforcement and/ambiguity of the laws may vary, but the key to the whole plan of implementation is the phrase "trade agreements". It is not by accident that the EU is leading the way on this in Europe. Soon, though, anyone who has trade agreements with the U.S. and others will be persuaded to put teeth into their enforcement of prosecuting the makers of illegal copies (see Russia, Ukraine, etc). Australia has to trade with someone, therefore, it is only a matter of time before they fall in line. Australia already has the law. It is just loosely enforced. I don't think that the individual will be directly affected (they are not going to go after Clint, specifically, as an individual), but the fallout and new copy protections will have the same effect.

As for the idea that the individual will always prevail against the "big, bad world". It is cute, naive and mostly dangerous. History is full of instances where the common people have lost rights that they thought were inalienable. The average person can surely name many such instances. I can think of at least 3 methods of securing disks that no software scheme can overcome. They don't involve a change in the basic code, therefore, copy programs such as Clonecd will not help you with them. The problem is cost of implementation. They are generally too expensive to implement at present. One of them is rumored to be part of SD3, however. It involves the embedding of a special unique code on the CD during or before the pressing of the disk (sometimes during the making of the CDs). The program is "tuned" to work only with this code. Since this info is not copyable, any copy made of this disk will not work. This can be done. Whether Macrovision has got the cost low enough yet to mass produce it is the question. I could go on with others, but there is no point in "scaring" you with what is theoretically possible. Although, the proposed U.S. legislation to make a "key" for all software mandatory (along with forcing all reading and playing devices to require the key to operate the disk) is beyond scary. Can anyone say 1984 (Orwell's book)?

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI