CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Buying a Plextor   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 681 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/2/2002 1:09:07 AM   
Clint

quote:

Hey Clint, John will let us know if the Plextor 48x drive will be able to do that, before we purchase it, right John?!

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/01/2002 18:53:23

I'm shure he will, when Plextor send him the drive

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 33
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/14/2002 6:59:19 PM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, here is that reply from the last email I sent Plextor. Remember, the one that I said, "Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!" It took a couple of weeks though

----------------------------------------------------------------------
We don't plan to 'address this issue'. We don't do anything to make our drives read copy protected discs, and we don't do anything to prevent them reading copy protected discs.

It just gets into a race between the drive mfgrs and the copy protection companies... they buy our drives and work out how to prevent discs from being copied on them. If we then develop some kind of 'workaround' to bypass their protection, then they just change their software again.

Usually a 'workaround' just ends up making more errors on discs, so we don't do that at all. We just make sure we write quality discs.

If you don't like copy protection, then the only way to get it resolved is to not buy copy protected software discs. If their income dries up, then those companies will either remove the copy protection, or go broke. This happend with floppy based games many years ago.

Plextor Support Team - Jack

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/14/2002 19:00:57

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 34
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/14/2002 8:46:57 PM   
Clint

quote:

Hey Clint, here is that reply from the last email I sent Plextor. Remember, the one that I said, "Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!" It took a couple of weeks though

We don't plan to 'address this issue'. We don't do anything to make our drives read copy protected discs, and we don't do anything to prevent them reading copy protected discs.

It just gets into a race between the drive mfgrs and the copy protection companies... they buy our drives and work out how to prevent discs from being copied on them. If we then develop some kind of 'workaround' to bypass their protection, then they just change their software again.

Usually a 'workaround' just ends up making more errors on discs, so we don't do that at all. We just make sure we write quality discs.

If you don't like copy protection, then the only way to get it resolved is to not buy copy protected software discs. If their income dries up, then those companies will either remove the copy protection, or go broke. This happend with floppy based games many years ago.

Plextor Support Team - Jack

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/14/2002 19:00:57

That is a very good responce this time, and makes alot of sence. It tells it the way it is - a game; between the drive manufactures and copy protection developers....

That is the full extent of the problem, thats why Macro introduced those extra regular bit patterns, that made the Plextor's "choke" on them.

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 35
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/15/2002 2:49:19 PM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, it seems as though the Courts would stop copy protection companies from doing this, since "IT IS LEGAL" to make a copy of such disc!!!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 36
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/15/2002 5:31:15 PM   
john

If and when a Plextor 48x drive comes out, you will read in our website, among with full specs. It would be interesting to see how Plextor will repsond to those P-CAV, CAV speed daemons writers. Lets hope not with a 20-48x Z-CLV recorder, with 35X average writing speed

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 37
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/15/2002 10:22:04 PM   
Clint

quote:

If and when a Plextor 48x drive comes out, you will read in our website, among with full specs. It would be interesting to see how Plextor will repsond to those P-CAV, CAV speed daemons writers. Lets hope not with a 20-48x Z-CLV recorder, with 35X average writing speed

Thanx John

Remembering what Plextor said about CAV writing!? - They think P-CAV, CAV writing is a "compromise for quality and accuracy". Thats what the W4012A's review said anyways. I won't be suprised if they make another Z-CLV burner

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 38
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/16/2002 4:22:51 PM   
john

It would be interesting to see if actually plextor will release a new drive. As you may remember they have stayed back in the reading speed (40x) since they feel higher reading speed are dangerous for CDs...

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 39
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/19/2002 3:17:30 AM   
Clint

quote:

It would be interesting to see if actually plextor will release a new drive. As you may remember they have stayed back in the reading speed (40x) since they feel higher reading speed are dangerous for CDs...

I think Plextor were worried about reading *older/frequently used* CDs past 40x to avoid them shattering and/or being damaged. I think new CD-R's could handle the 48X writing with no probs, just the older ones being read past 40X, in their opinions, could cause concern.
Maybe they will make a 48x Write/12x or 16x ReWrite/40x Read , or just include a tool like TEAC does with their 40/12/48, to slow the read speed down to 40X to make the drive quieter and more 'forgiving' on CD's (also like TEAC, leave the option to turn back to 48X read anytime the user likes to).

BTW, John, whats the go with the stars under our names now A few days ago I had purple stars, then it changed to red, now they're back to purple agian... Also you have 2 extra stars

Edited by - Clint on 05/19/2002 03:20:25

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 40
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/19/2002 11:02:05 AM   
clawso1

The color of the STARS probably fall in line with a website not looking the same all the time, so a FULL or PARTIAL face-lift is in order, huh John?

Hey, another thing clint, how do you get the smilely faces to appear?!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 41
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/19/2002 5:45:13 PM   
Clint

quote:

The color of the STARS probably fall in line with a website not looking the same all the time, so a FULL or PARTIAL face-lift is in order, huh John?

Hey, another thing clint, how do you get the smilely faces to appear?!

Regards
Cal

When you reply, under format, click on the yellow smilely face. It shows you the buttons to type to get a face

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 42
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/19/2002 6:36:51 PM   
clawso1

Thanks Clint, boy if that had been a snake it would have bit me!

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/19/2002 18:55:53

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 43
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/19/2002 7:24:10 PM   
john

As i said, we will have to wait and see what Plextor will select introduce in the near future. I would be surprized if they chosen to release a new series of faster external recorders and faster combo drives , or why not a DVD recorder

We made some recent changes in the forum and starts/ranking has changed a bit, and probably will change again

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 44
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/20/2002 1:03:37 AM   
clawso1

Well, personally John, I think that Plextor will pursue the P-CAV, CAV approach for NOW, even though it has spoken against such techology, because the key is, if Sony and Liton can do it, so can we, just to prove that they can build such a drive using that tech! Let's face it Plextor was building these drives before Sony ever even thought of the idea, and all of a sudden Sony builds a drive with P-CAV, CAV tech. Plextor won't be able to resist the challenge!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i said, we will have to wait and see what Plextor will select introduce in the near future. I would be surprized if they chosen to release a new series of faster external recorders and faster combo drives , or why not a DVD recorder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 45
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/20/2002 2:47:55 AM   
Clint

quote:

Well, personally John, I think that Plextor will pursue the P-CAV, CAV approach for NOW, even though it has spoken against such techology, because the key is, if Sony and Liton can do it, so can we, just to prove that they can build such a drive using that tech! Let's face it Plextor was building these drives before Sony ever even thought of the idea, and all of a sudden Sony builds a drive with P-CAV, CAV tech. Plextor won't be able to resist the challenge!

Sony isn't making P-CAV recorders, it's just rebadgeing the Lite-On LTR-40125W. It supports P-CAV and Mt. Rainier.

Sony CRX-175A1 is a rebadged Lite-On 24102B.

quote:

Regards
Cal
[/quote]

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 46
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/20/2002 8:56:23 AM   
clawso1

Sony isn't making P-CAV recorders, it's just rebadgeing the Lite-On LTR-40125W. It supports P-CAV and Mt. Rainier.

Sony CRX-175A1 is a rebadged Lite-On 24102B.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You've got to be kidding?!!! Sony, would do such a thing? Man, who can you trust in the industry?!!!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 47
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/20/2002 9:21:38 AM   
john

Its true that Sony uses LiteOn for their recorders...The indrustry is moving too fast and some companies cannot afford to invest money for R&D so they use other people's technology. Its not so bad but limits our buying options.

As for P-CAV from Plextor, we will have to wait and see. If Sanyo doesn't release such chipset, Plextor cannot make it, unless they change to MediaTek or other manufacturer, which seems un-likely to happen.

Perhaps around middle of June, Plextor announce something new (?)

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI