CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Buying a Plextor   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1171 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/26/2002 11:51:30 AM   
clawso1

OK, I see the short coming NOW of the Plextor drives. Thanks for the explanation Clint!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 17
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/26/2002 11:09:44 PM   
Clint

quote:

OK, I see the short coming NOW of the Plextor drives. Thanks for the explanation Clint!

Regards
Cal

Thats fine!

I hope that the Plextor 48X can support *FULLY* writing of regular bit patterns. So do you and many, many others by the sounds of things

Maybe the PX-W4812A will be 'THE' drive to have!

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 18
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/28/2002 7:49:35 PM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, have you ever emailed Plextor support with this concern to hear what they have to say?!

quote:

quote:

Regards
Cal

Thats fine!

I hope that the Plextor 48X can support *FULLY* writing of regular bit patterns. So do you and many, many others by the sounds of things

Maybe the PX-W4812A will be 'THE' drive to have!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 19
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/28/2002 8:22:08 PM   
Clint

quote:

Heh. Don't expect from any company support team to comment how to copy protected CDs. This is a forbitten word for most companies ,due to legal problems, epsecially in USA.

Latest CloneCD v4.x with Amplify Weak Sector can do SD2 with all recorders.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

quote:

Hey Clint, have you ever emailed Plextor support with this concern to hear what they have to say?!

Nope because I know I will not get a very informative answer on that subject...

As John says above, well?!

Why don't you write to them and link this thread and post back their responce

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 20
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/29/2002 3:25:44 AM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, I just copied and Pasted your write-up in an email to Plextor Support Team, we'll see what they say, heh!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 21
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/29/2002 6:48:12 AM   
Clint

quote:

Hey Clint, I just copied and Pasted your write-up in an email to Plextor Support Team, we'll see what they say, heh!

Regards
Cal

Yes we will!

*interesting will their responce be!?*

hehe

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 22
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/29/2002 12:37:44 PM   
clawso1

Well, Clint here it is:

Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!"

----- Original Message -----
To: Clarence A Lawson Sr
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: SD2 Copy

Plextor does nothing to prevent or allow copy protected discs. If you have a beef with a disc that is copy protected, best to contact the mfgr of that disc and complain to them.

Plextor Support Team - Jack
-----Original Message-----
From: Clarence A Lawson Sr [mailto:clawso1@gtcinternet.com]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 1:26 AM
To: Plextor Support
Subject: SD2 Copy

This is what I mean when I say that Plextor's 24x and 40x drives CAN NOT write SD2.51 correctly.

SD2. Eight to Fourteen Modulation is used during encoding, because the 8-bit 'magnetic' byte has to be modulated to a 14-bit 'optical' byte. Technically, this modulation is necessary to allow encoding of two consecutive 1s--which would be impossible with the scheme of pits and lands using 8-bit bytes (1s and 0s). In fact, the changes in reflectivity (as the laser light moves along the sequence of pits and lands) are coded as 1 channel bits. Two consecutive 1s are therefore not possible. Moreover, the 'lands' in between the 1s are represented by 0 channel bits, and the number of 0s represent the run-length. The bits in an optical byte are known as 'channel bits' to avoid confusion, and because they are transferred to the controller board through a specific channel. Furthermore, the fourteen-bit optical byte is provided three additional channel bits, known as merging bits--to eliminate transition conflicts between consecutive optical bytes. During the read process, the interface card demodulates the 14- bit optical code to the 8-bit code used by the computer--and all channel bit-level modulation and processing remain transparent to the user.
Now with that in mind, this is how SD2 works:
A regular bit pattern (such as XYXYXYXYXYXY...) fed into the EFM encoder can cause large values of the digital sum value in case the merging bits cannot reduce this value. The scrambler (something found in every CD-ROM/CD-RW) reduces this risk by converting the bits in byte 12 to 2351 of a Sector in a prediscribed way. The sectors mentioned above try in fact to overload the EFM encoder of the CD-Writer, because *AFTER* passing the scrambler the poor device has to write *REGULAR BIT PATTERNS* - something it really doesn't like. That's how SD2 works. [Plextor recorders *CANNOT* write SD2.51 correctly due to additional weak sectors added by MacroVision, whereas SD2 *PRE* v2.51.021 the Plex 24X & and 40X could cope with those weak sectors.]

Regards
Clarence A. Lawson, Sr.

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 23
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/29/2002 3:13:53 PM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, the thing that gets me is that "it's LEGAL to make a copy of any game or music CD." Since it's LEGAL and the game and music CD producers keep trying to stop the consumer from making a copy, also, the Drive manufacturers are not making it possible for their drives to copy such disk, it seems to me they have a concerted effort going against the LAW and the CONSUMER! It's the consumer who purchases both drives and software! If the consumer were to STOP purchasing both softwares and drives for a WHILE they would do something to improve the "Bottom Line!"

Also, I didn't get any more response from my reply back to Plextor!

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 04/29/2002 15:16:04

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 24
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/30/2002 6:40:19 AM   
Clint

quote:

Hey Clint, the thing that gets me is that "it's LEGAL to make a copy of any game or music CD." Since it's LEGAL and the game and music CD producers keep trying to stop the consumer from making a copy, also, the Drive manufacturers are not making it possible for their drives to copy such disk, it seems to me they have a concerted effort going against the LAW and the CONSUMER! It's the consumer who purchases both drives and software! If the consumer were to STOP purchasing both softwares and drives for a WHILE they would do something to improve the "Bottom Line!"

Also, I didn't get any more response from my reply back to Plextor!

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 04/29/2002 15:16:04

Hate to say it but... John and I "told ya so!"

It's just one of those things, Plextor are trying to cover their ass.

BTW, Did you write this back to them?>

quote:

Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!"

LOL. That shut down that tech support guy pretty well if thats what you wrote back to him...

Also Plextor Europe has released their "FAQ's and FACTs" section on their page. (http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/faqs&facts.asp?sort_by=Date)

You may *ALL* be interested about one of thier FAQ's....

>Q: (13/04/02) Can my new Plextor writer write Safedisk V2.51 protected CD's?
A: We cannot answer any questions regarding raw writing or copy-protected CD's.<

Well!? That basically explains why you got the answer you got from Plextor support then, hey Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 25
RE: Buying a Plextor - 4/30/2002 10:12:34 AM   
PoisonDan

Clint,

Stupid question: if CCD4's AWS can really copy all SD2 versions (as I understand from your posts), is this really a big deal ?

I would say: just use CCD4 with AWS and be happy. Or am I missing something ?

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 26
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 12:09:15 AM   
Clint

quote:

Clint,

Stupid question: if CCD4's AWS can really copy all SD2 versions (as I understand from your posts), is this really a big deal ?

I would say: just use CCD4 with AWS and be happy. Or am I missing something ?

Not a stupid question

I'm here for absolute perfect copies, no 'software compromises' can match the true ability of the hardware to do SD2, *by itself*. Others may differ and just say; "Well if it works, it works so whats the big deal?" Also burner1000000 from various other forums (here, CDFreaks, CDRLabs...) has said no SD2.51 CDs backedup with a Plex 24X or 40X will work in a Toshiba DVD-ROM SDM-1502. (pretty shure he meant even with AWS too, so!?)
No you aren't missing much, I'm just not certain if burner1000000 meant with AWS on or off, that the backups didn't work in the Tosh 1502.... Maybe if he's around he can give us the answer

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 27
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 12:24:19 AM   
Clint

Also the Tosh's SDM-1401, 1402. But apparently the newer SDM-1602 works fine with Plex backups...

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 28
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 12:34:43 AM   
Clint

There is also quite a BIG, BIG argument on the issue of Toshiba DVD-ROM's playing Plex copies (Toshiba make one of the best DVD-ROM's there is) over at the Freaks. Check it out here: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44720&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It's becomeing a rather personal predicament, *US Vs Sweden* over there if you read though the 3 pages...

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 29
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 1:43:08 AM   
clawso1

Hey Clint this is exactly what I said to that Tech!

"Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!"

And you are right, "It shut him down" because he was in over his HEAD!

Regards
Cal

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 30
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 3:14:31 AM   
Clint

quote:

Hey Clint this is exactly what I said to that Tech!

"Obviously, you don't have the technical KNOW HOW to address this ISSUE! THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY THE "DRIVE DEVELOPER!"

And you are right, "It shut him down" because he was in over his HEAD!

Regards
Cal

hehe, sounds to be!

All we can do is PRAY that the next Plextor recorder *DOES* support SD2.51 and they (Plextor) realise this is an important feature to the user.

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 31
RE: Buying a Plextor - 5/1/2002 6:52:04 PM   
clawso1

Hey Clint, John will let us know if the Plextor 48x drive will be able to do that, before we purchase it, right John?!

Regards
Cal

Edited by - clawso1 on 05/01/2002 18:53:23

(in reply to Javeryt)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Buying a Plextor Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI