CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 755 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/6/2002 1:07:13 PM   
john

> Any chance we see the Teac review this weekend?

Probably will come Monday. The problem is that we had some issues that needed to be cleared out with TEAC before post it live. We could have been first but we decided to release when we feel its complete.

> Will it burn the SD 2.51 protected software with the new CloneCD beta 4?

Yes and no. It will work with Amplify Weak Sector setting in some CD-ROMs but not in others.

> In terms of Audio-CD quality, how do you think the Teac stacks up compared to the Yamaha

For the writing or reading part? It has strong reading engine and very good writing quality even at 40x (of course with the proper CDR media).

> Can the Teac read (or copy?) protected Audio-CDs?

Yes it can read both CDS200 and Key2Audio CDs without problems. EAC is reccomended.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to burningwheel)
Post #: 17
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/6/2002 1:25:50 PM   
thomas

Thanks for the info, I think that sounds very promising!

A more genral question: Do you think writing with CLV (20x with Teac) increases quality of Audio-CDs compared with CDs written at higher Z-CLV speeds (read: writing modes that include a speed change and hence a small "gap")? I'm very impressed by the 20x CLV on the Teac, as far as I know it's the highest CLV speed of all burners (or at least equal to the best).

I just noticed something; up to now Plextor was the best reader for Audio-CD protections, but if the Teac can do it as well... consider the price difference! In Germany it's about 60 Euros

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting your review of the Teac and start counting money to finance this small beast.

Post #: 18
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/6/2002 1:56:14 PM   
cturcin

When will the new review for the Teac CD W540E be posted? If you find it please let me know!

Post #: 19
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/7/2002 2:25:08 PM   
john

You will read in the review the writing quality of AudioCDs. In general using high quality media, will produce high quality Audio CDs, even at 40x.

Plextor, LiteOn also have 20x CLV writing speed.

Post #: 20
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/7/2002 4:07:43 PM   
thomas

-- this post contained bullshit, sorry for your inconvenience --

Edited by - thomas on 04/07/2002 16:30:01

Post #: 21
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/8/2002 1:55:56 AM   
hjs

Thomas:
quote:
YESSSS!!

I just picked up a CD-W540E in a power auction on eBay (Germany) for 100 Euro (about $89, got lucky I guess !!). The guy was selling 20 of them!
There are also a number of other people offering the 540E (or a Traxdata rebadge of it) on eBay Germany.
Since the Teac and the Traxdata were both introduced at the CeBit (computer trade fair) in Hannover in March, I would theorize that these drives must have been offered (very reasonably) to people visiting the fair.
In any case, a price range of 100 (cheap) to 200 (expensive) Euros is being offered. The normal price for the Teac on the German market (it isn't in the stores yet!) will be about 169 to possibly 189 Euros (ca. $150 - $165 ), more expensive than in the States.
To make a long story short: check it out! It might be of interest at least to you people living in EU countries.
Good Luck!

From another cdr forum

Post #: 22
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/8/2002 10:15:33 PM   
Firtol88

Although I don't necessarily agree with your take on CDRlabs(they are progressing well) I do see the value in a thorough review. With the exception of perhaps Storage Review(Though their recent setback seems to have ended optical reviews) this site offers the most in depth reviews available. As to the coverage of a dives handling of copy protection in my opinion this is the most important aspect of a review as it could indicate future problems with certain media. I backup all my media and only use my backups; I do not purchase software, which I cannot backup. I make small exceptions on pirating and download cracked copies of any software that is too troublesome to copy, thus I avoid spending money on what I view as defective products. Enough of that drivel suffice to say I appreciate you doing a thorough job especially in areas of copy protection both reading and writing performance. The question remains in relation to this drive if TEAC will be able to fix this issue with a firmware update or if they even care to.

Post #: 23
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 6:10:26 AM   
john

I don't know if TEAC plans to support the latest SD2 v2.5x builds...

Post #: 24
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 6:49:36 AM   
rjw

Forgot one protection. The plextor (at least the 24x) can do CDS-100.(Cdrwin/clone cd) from the TEAC 40 it is not known. The 24x doesn't do it.

Post #: 25
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 9:09:37 AM   
Maurizio XP

John
1)can the liteon 163 read the sd2 2.33 + cd burned by the teac?
2)My teac 512eb can do max payne, why the new 40x can't?

Post #: 26
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 3:06:12 PM   
john

> CDS-100

Haven't tested with CDS-100. We actually care more about the CDS200 since most of those discs are around...

> can the liteon 163 read the sd2 2.33 + cd burned by the teac?

We haven't tested. liteOn 163 accepts backups very good. Testing with cheap CD-ROMS will reviele if the drive can 100% make accurate backups.

> My teac 512eb can do max payne, why the new 40x can't?

Are you sure it can do? In which drive(s) have you tested it? If you are talking about backup with "Amplify Weak Sector", then the 40x didn't accepted the backup (possibly due to its very strong reading engine)

Post #: 27
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 3:15:15 PM   
Maurizio XP

with a nec dvd 12/40x.

I'll tray again with others drives.

Does the aws (in italian "crtical sector integration" ;), translated...) modify deeply the copy?
Is it good? (I used it a lot of time)

Can the new 40x teac backup max PAyne with aws?

My teac can create :
full working all games with safe 1 or similar
partial working UT (safe 1.33)
"" Alice (safe 2.055)
full working of Commandos 2 (safe 2)
"" Emperor Battle for dune (2.031)

Post #: 28
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/9/2002 6:34:27 PM   
Firtol88

John You mentioned earlier in this thread that you needed to contact Teac. My question is do you think or can you find out if they have any intentions of improving reading/writing performance in relation to protected(defective) media with say a firmware update? Thanks in advance.

Post #: 29
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/10/2002 7:15:30 AM   
DJ2001

John
Great review. One quick question. With the Mitsui media (16x/24x) would the error rate have been less if the data burnt had been within the capacity of the disk?

Post #: 30
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/10/2002 9:02:41 AM   
john

> My question is do you think or can you find out if they have any intentions of improving reading/writing performance in relation to protected(defective) media with say a firmware update?

Don't expect much about the reading/writing performance with protected CDs with future firmware upgrades. Using CloneCD v4.xx and AWS will create partial working copies.

> With the Mitsui media (16x/24x) would the error rate have been less if the data burnt had been within the capacity of the disk?

Of course. The error increased dramatiacally at the last minutes of the CD. If you notice this didn't happen with the Mitsui 40x certified media.

Post #: 31
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/13/2002 12:10:13 AM   
Gooberslot

Those average error rates are pretty dang high aren't they. Most of the better drives reviewed here can keep the average error rate under 1 when using decent media. The Teac does seem to have low max rates though.

Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI