CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

review for TEAC CDW540E/B?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1078 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> review for TEAC CDW540E/B? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/2/2002 5:24:21 AM   
burningwheel

Will we get a review for TEAC CDW540E/B? I have a feeling that this is a better drive than LITEON LTR-40125S.

Post #: 1
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/2/2002 8:11:47 AM   
john

Very soon. We are waiting several answers from TEAC.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to burningwheel)
Post #: 2
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 12:25:06 AM   
hjs

Intresting.
Who is going to have the first review out. ;)
i know Ian from cdrlabs also has the drive and has almost a review ready. Ian already has some things about the review in his forum
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3731
Check it out

I know cdfreaks is also trying to get the drive, don't know if they already have them.

Post #: 3
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 9:53:28 AM   
john

> Who is going to have the first review out. ;)

I would ask who will post the most "accurate" review out first. We could have easily posted the review but there are some issues which must be first explained from TEAC. We want to bring something good and accurate. I would imagine tomorrow we will be ready.

Post #: 4
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 12:39:19 PM   
hjs

quote:

> Who is going to have the first review out. ;)

I would ask who will post the most "accurate" review out first. We could have easily posted the review but there are some issues which must be first explained from TEAC. We want to bring something good and accurate. I would imagine tomorrow we will be ready.

Post #: 5
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 12:41:51 PM   
hjs

where is all my text?

But youre right about it, it's not a race that's why i put a ;) behind it

btw. the review of Ian is online and it's a good review just like your's will be for sure.

Post #: 6
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 3:42:05 PM   
john

> btw. the review of Ian is online and it's a good review just like your's will be for sure.

I know. I would suggest reading our coming review. It will be more in depth and with less "mistakes"

Post #: 7
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 4:30:22 PM   
thomas

Hey hey, you don't seem to like the guys over at cdrlabs a lot, but that's your thing...

Anyway, I can't wait to get a second opinion on the TEAC!

Post #: 8
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/3/2002 8:39:07 PM   
john

> you don't seem to like the guys over at cdrlabs a lot

I don't like reviews that mislead users. . If you bought the drive ,based upon that review, and afterwards found out it cannot do SD2 how you would feel? Not good i suppose .

For the record, TEAC CD-W540E CANNOT do SD2 v2.5x like some people claim

> Anyway, I can't wait to get a second opinion on the TEAC!

Would be more accurate, that's for sure

Post #: 9
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/4/2002 10:30:07 AM   
Jar

I could understand that John might get a little annoyed at people posting links to other review sites, but calling them misleading?

John -- If you read the cdrlabs forums at all you'll find that Ian and his guys do not review safedisc things on purpose because it is a shady topic (borderline illegal in the U.S. and can get you in A LOT of trouble.)

Often times there are other users who have the drive or he posts the results of the tests in the forum for specific users who want to know about copy protections, or he refers them here for *your* tests.

quote:
It will be more in depth and with less "mistakes"

It seems to me that cdrinfo is so hell bent on covering safedisc ability that they neglect all of the DAE erros the asus 32x produces... *cough*

-hjs
It is a race for them, it brings in the hits more often than not when you're the first to review a new drive. Why do you see cdrinfo say "world exclusive" or "first" etc when they have a new unit up? None of the other review sites do that except this one so it shows you the negativity there. CDRLabs, Got Apex, CDRW Central, they all post links to each others reviews, do you see that here? No...

The last time I saw CDRInfo on slashdot, they got torn a new one for essentially posting "press release" items that are verbatim copies of press releases, no commentary or anything. See the link below:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=29357&threshold=1&commentsort=0&tid=173&mode=thread&pid=3151848#3151949

At least on the other forums I visit (anandtech, cdrlabs, ars technica, etc) there is mutal respect between them, but not here, that's why I stopped visiting so frequently :/

Post #: 10
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/4/2002 11:58:21 AM   
pcguy99

I notcied that there is part of the review up on the web site. However several pages do not load including the conclusion and none of the graphics load.

Post #: 11
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/4/2002 12:25:57 PM   
thomas

As far as cdr-info's linking to other sites is concerned, see below:
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2114

Post #: 12
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/4/2002 12:58:32 PM   
Jar

Okay for nit picking purposes, yes they do link other sites, but the common practice of posting news items like the other sites do when a new review is announced is not found.

Post #: 13
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/4/2002 5:45:39 PM   
john

> do not review safedisc things

Hi Jar and thanks for your input. The main problem here is that we forget the recent history. In short the same persons that called us "pirates" (cause we "dared" to test drives under DAO-RAW writing mode), now "trying" to do similar tests, however with wrong testing procedure and of course results...In my opinion, if you don't know how to test it, better leave it out. I explain.

The SD2 backups must be checked with cheap CD-ROMs in order to identify if the backup is 100% correct or not. Lets say that you only tested with one drive , in our case LiteOn, and you found it works. So does it really works? Nope...You need to use CD-ROMs (and several) to make sure it works.

So where is the problem? The problem is that users keep asking for the "EFM correction" feature. If someone told me it works ok, i paid 150$ for a drive, and afterwards didn't worked as i was told, at least would be @%& with him.

> but calling them misleading?

That is what i call "mislead". If your are ok with it then...

> It seems to me that cdrinfo is so hell bent on covering safedisc ability

The other guys keep telling/commenting the same thing. I cannot really understand how come 12 pages of review, with 10 lines upon the DAO-RAW performance of the drive, overpass the other content. Maybe those people wish to keep presenting us as the "bad guys" to gain other benefits? Most likely.

We are the only site that checking writing quality and testing which media performs better with each drive. Posting burning time is not anymore enough. I cannot really see any comparison between ours and the rest reviews.

> he posts the results of the tests in the forum for specific users

Some time now they keep adding those tests in the reviews. Maybe you haven't visited them for a long time?

> they all post links to each others reviews, do you see that here? No...

Actually we do sent mailing list with reviews to many other websites. I don't remember any mail from the mentioned sites dropped in our mailbox recently

> The last time I saw CDRInfo on slashdot

I thought we "slashdotted" only one time. It was about the Cactus Data Shield 200 article, that covered almost any aspect of this "copy protection". We had great feedback for that article and frankly we are very proud about it. Its also interesting that PHILIPS have expressed negative thoughts about AudioCD copy protection.

> there is mutal respect between them,

Really? I heard there is/was a big fight between the big sites for CPU/MB (Anand, HardOCP and Tom).

> yes they do link other sites,

Ok now we do link other sites. Again i have to repeat when someone drops an email we usually link, unless its illegal content

> that's why I stopped visiting so frequently :/

You will hardly find any negative comment about other websites, unless we see something wrong. So maybe it is about time to start re-visiting

Post #: 14
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/5/2002 8:31:54 AM   
Jar

quote:
Hi Jar and thanks for your input. The main problem here is that we forget the recent history. In short the same persons that called us "pirates" (cause we "dared" to test drives under DAO-RAW writing mode), now "trying" to do similar tests

... well I agree with you on this, if you feel they are doing the test incorrectly, then the data would be misleading.

I personally think that people should be able to backup their games, but the majority of the CloneCd users out there are pirates, plain and simple. There are other methods than 1-1 copies of CD's to make a working "backup." I personally disagree with CDRLabs doing the test at all since I am anti-piracy.

quote:
The other guys keep telling/commenting the same thing. I cannot really understand how come 12 pages of review, with 10 lines upon the DAO-RAW performance of the drive

... other guys? (not sure who they are) If I recall correctly, a while ago I saw Ian or someone on their staff say that so many people would nag him about it he would put a couple lines in the review so they wouldn't get asked 900 times in the forum. Just as a side note, you're two largest non-hardware forums are CloneCD and CD-protections.

quote:
Some time now they keep adding those tests in the reviews. Maybe you haven't visited them for a long time?

... I responded to this already

quote:
Actually we do sent mailing list with reviews to many other websites. I don't remember any mail from the mentioned sites dropped in our mailbox recently

... I wonder why?! haha :P

quote:
I thought we "slashdotted" only one time. It was about the Cactus Data Shield 200 article, that covered almost any aspect of this "copy protection". We had great feedback for that article and frankly we are very proud about it. Its also interesting that PHILIPS have expressed negative thoughts about AudioCD copy protection.

... guess you were wrong, I remember reading that article on slashdot and your site was pretty much hosed. I do agree with the one poster that the way you post your press releases, you don't really issue much credit or any comnments on the release, you just copy it verbatim. Other sites like hardocp, ars, slashdot offer some kind of thought or opinion to differentiate their news postings.

quote:
Really? I heard there is/was a big fight between the big sites for CPU/MB (Anand, HardOCP and Tom).

... Um, Tom Pabst is a malicous, backstabbing person, plain and simple. As far as I know there has been no animosity between the other sites. IE: Anand -> HardOCP or vice versa, etc.

quote:
Ok now we do link other sites. Again i have to repeat when someone drops an email we usually link, unless its illegal content
... Well, I see cdmedia, cdfreaks, hardocp, anandtech, cdrwcentral, etc passing their reviews around to each other, but that doesn't happen here? again, I wonder why :P

quote:
You will hardly find any negative comment about other websites, unless we see something wrong. So maybe it is about time to start re-visiting

... we'll see, I always drop by now and then, but I'm one of those kind of people that hate to see people get trashed without a chance to stick up for themselves. I think the guys at CDRLabs are doing a good job with their reviews (excluding the point about cd protections).

Post #: 15
RE: review for TEAC CDW540E/B? - 4/6/2002 4:24:44 AM   
thomas

Any chance we see the Teac review this weekend? I'm very interested in the writing quality tests since the Teac has this aggressive Z-CLV implementation...

Will it burn the SD 2.51 protected software with the new CloneCD beta 4? It really has no priority on my list of needed features, but still good to have.

In terms of Audio-CD quality, how do you think the Teac stacks up compared to the Yamaha? BTW, what's you recommendation for a real good audio burner?

Ok, final question: Can the Teac read (or copy?) protected Audio-CDs? Most important, can it rip the CDs (preferably with EAC)? I need copies for my car player, I won't take those CDs in my car! Did that once and the CDs went bad especially when there's a lot of humidity in the air and the water condenses. Apart from that it does not play protected CDs and I think this SUCKS big time!

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> review for TEAC CDW540E/B? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI