CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1468 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? - 3/29/2002 7:42:54 AM   
mikeku

Here is a weird one. Last summer and fall I made two different photo CD's to give out as little gifts (one for each side of the family). I used Arc Soft software and burned the JPEG files on Imation disks (CMC). The software autostats the CD's on insertion. They definately played fine on a variety of CD-ROMs (lots of thank you cards). They were stored cool, dust and light free in a CD case. Now here is the weird part. I wanted to pull a file off of one of them last night and I poped it in my CDROM which basically kept blinking (couldn't read). I then tried a polaroid (btc) CDRW, a Yamaha drive and a Pioneer AO3 drive. All did the same. Finally I was able to get them to read in a Lite-On CDRW (and I made copies). Is it possible for a CDR to go bad in such a short time? I have a ton of VCD's of video home movies on disks and now I'm freaking out. They are mostly on Kodak Ultima "silver and gold" and Memorex Music (Ritek). They still seem to be OK, but what about a year from now? I'm thinking of transferring the *.dat files to a DVD-R if that would offer better stability.
1) Has anyone else had such a problem?
2) What are the longest lasting CDR?
3) Would a DVD-R last longer?

Wow, sorry for the long message, but you have no idea how long it took me to covert all of this stuff if I lost it would truely be terrible.

Post #: 1
RE: Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? - 4/7/2002 12:29:31 AM   
pissboy

yah, I've had cds in binders go bad like that.. had around 270 cds in 2 binders.. friend said he coulnd't read a lot of them so I copied them all to hdd to make backups, and had read errors on -26%- of them, which added up to around 67. I now store them in paper sleeves in tool boxes, costs less and seems to be doign the job better.. the cds in those binders were primarily CMC, some taiyo yuden, the TY's seemed to hold up better

(in reply to mikeku)
Post #: 2
RE: Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? - 4/9/2002 6:56:42 PM   
mikeku

Interesting...these CD's were in a CD binder. Could that possible make a difference?

(in reply to mikeku)
Post #: 3
RE: Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? - 4/12/2002 2:43:34 AM   
pissboy

yes! I've found cd binders to be -horrible- .. for normal cds they work fine but for cheap cdr media.. the aluminum wears off way too fast, cmc cds last me about a year in binders (they are moved often to LANparties/etc).. and taiyo yudens last a little longer.. I'd willingly pay more for cds that have a layer of plastic over the aluminum.. so this won't happen.
-pissboy

(in reply to mikeku)
Post #: 4
RE: Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? - 7/26/2002 3:33:39 AM   
Vort3xxX

Every cmc disc i have put in a folder (around 130 or so) have incured damage. I have had them stick to pages in binders and have whole chunks of the recording and so called protective surface tear right off the disc (with a little humidity as an aggrivating factor). And my archival discs that are cmc are all damaged from storing them in binders. They were all memorex and compusa brand discs. It seems to me that cmc discs come with holes in their recording surface (look at one closeley in light before burning) and you absoluteley can not touch the top side of the disc without damaging it. After losing around 1/3 of my mp3 collection to cmc discs, I learned my lesson. I didn't realize the gravity of cmc's manufacturing and design problems until the day that I burnt a cd with their media and tried to read it just a few hours later (with one cycle in and out of a binder) and It failed copying some files.

(in reply to mikeku)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Can CMC disks go bad in less than a year? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI