CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 798 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration - 3/12/2002 1:12:42 PM   
thomai

I've got a Yamaha CD RW recorder (16x10x40)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it for a month now, ever since I installed WinXP.

The OS sees the CD unit - i.e. it's in the folder "This Computer". But I can neither burn

nor play any CDs with it...

I've tried grabbing Force ASPI and also installing Nero instead of Easy CD Creator, but to

no avail - sometimes Nero even reports that the burn went perfectly, when in fact the burner

never even started. At other times the CDR program (Nero or Easy) just say that there is no

CD recorder available.

One thing that might be the problem is that I seem to have two installments of Win XP

Professional, though only one of them actually works - but I can still choose between them

at start-up, despite having removed the Windows folder belonging to the 2nd ...

Does anyone here know how you remove the non working start-up option?

Any suggestions on other things that might be causing the problem would also be much

appreciated! I think I've downloaded every fix imaginable from Easy and Nero and Yamaha's

site doesn't seem to have any mentioning of my problem :-(

I'm considering going back to Win98, but unfortunately I was stupid enough to chose to

convert FAT 32 to the xp format, so I suppose that Win98 won't be able to access the data if

I go back. Or am I wrong about this?!

Post #: 1
RE: Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration - 3/12/2002 4:24:10 PM   
Mender

I don't know the answer to your burning problem, but you are correct that Windows 95/98/98se/ME cannot read NT format hard drives, which is what XP uses if you convert it.

Visit www.uktalking.co.uk forums, the place to be

Edited by - Mender on 03/12/2002 16:28:27

(in reply to thomai)
Post #: 2
RE: Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration - 3/14/2002 3:44:47 AM   
thomai

Thanks for validating my fears :( I guess I'll have to stay with xp then...

A friend of mine suggested that it might be the scsi card in the cd rw that causes the problems. Win98 could see it was a Yamaha, but XP labels it as a "Nero Imagedriver SCSI cdrom device". Does that ring a bell with anyone?

If xp is compatible with linux, my reserve plan is to reinstall linux and do all my burning via that. I used to have linux on a 2nd drive but xp seems to have removed the linux start up files on the C:drive. Though this solution is hardly ideal...

(in reply to thomai)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Yamaha CD RW + Win XP = frustration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI