CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1150 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 2/23/2002 8:26:36 PM   
Zaq1

It seems that on my system, the speed of the sourcedrive is set at nearly the max speed of the recorder!? (eg. Recorder: Plextor 12/10/32 SCSI - drivespeed approx. 11,5X)

The real "funny" thing is that it doesn´t matter if the sourcedrive is cd-rom, network-drive or local hd! (and my local hd is a 4xSCSI ultra160 RAID).

And lowering the recording-speed to the next level will then run without buffer-underruns/Burnproof-catches (barely though - can´t do much else eg. burning a dual copy)

I you are one of those unlucky who have this prob. please try out my theory - Make a speedmeasurement in Nero before burning and post the result here. Maybe then John would bring the info to Nero, I understand that he (you - if you read this, John) can pull some strings?

Zaq1

Post #: 1
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 2/27/2002 1:48:32 AM   
ntloser

Hi ZAQ

I am having the same issues with XP and my Plextor12/4/32 A
I cannot make CD-to-CD copies (even from the HD) at 12x must go down to 8x or 10x. Strangely enough I can burn VCD’s at 12x. I could barely burn anything at 8x until I disabled Domain Validation on the SCSI card. My whole rig is SCSI with the correct termination and new cabling. This happens with all XP compatible versions of Nero, and I don’t even want to mention Clone CD, it is practically unusable.
Current System
P4 1.7
512 PC 800 RDRAM
Adaptec 29160
Ultra Plex Wide
Plex Writer 12/4/32
Seagate Cheetah X15
Latest Nero

Before, when I used Win2k Pro, I had a 933 with 128 mb of ram, I could burn on the fly at 12x while extracting RAR volumes, checking email, ripping DVD’s, and copying files to and from the network. (No kidding)

Should I use the new ASPI layer from Adaptec? I am using the latest bios updates for my controller and CD devices. Is anyone else having issues like this...? I almost want to go back to 2k

Which device(s) should I speed test?

Thank you

Edited by - ntloser on 02/27/2002 01:55:29

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 2
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 2/27/2002 4:06:38 AM   
Zaq1

It dosn´t sound good if you have to disable Domain Validation (on your adaptec 29160?), this feature testwrites to a device and lowers the speed if the data contains parity or crc errors. So if your speed is dropping when Domain Validation is on, you have something that corrupts the data when transfered at high speed.

Do your mobo have via southbridge? If so - then it could be this which makes the trouble, there are theories that via mobos generate electrostatic-noise under xp!? A lot of people with VIA-chipsets have problems with setting DMA on IDE in XP, because XP has the same sort of feature (Domain Val.) for IDE. I have this prob. with my PC with the Asus A7M266 mobo (and the geforce/nvidia infinte loop crash lol ).

The PC with my recordingspeed prob. is a pure AMD 762/766 chipset, and disabling the Domain Val. doesn´t help.

Let me describe my prob. in more detail: In Nero when selecting "determine maximum speed" Nero tests my hd-speed before burning and indicates before the burningprocess that the max. transfer rate is 23X (3450 kb/s). Sandra tests it as approx. 75.000 kb/s (4x scsi160 raid). That is for starters a great reduction.
But furthermore - when the burnprocess begins (the speed will still be measured under burning, when "determine maximum speed" is selected) it only reads from my hd at half the previously determined transfer rate eg. 11,5 x speed. (And it is exactly half the speed, and just 0,5 x below the max speed of the recorder. Plextor 12/10/32S).
So what i am asking is that people with underrunprobs. i XP, should try to "determine maximum speed" when burning in Nero and see if it yields the same result or simular.

I have tried all the driver/patch-combos from Nero/Adaptec/MS, and they do not help or even change performance. So installing the new ASPI-layer (4.7) doesn´t hurt, but I can´t tell if it´ll do you any good!?

Zaq1

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 3
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 2/27/2002 4:15:57 AM   
Zaq1

By the way - Under W2K i was able to burn from my ultraplex to one plexwriter 12/10/32 and simultaneously burn from my SCSI pioneer DVD to my other plexwriter 12/10/32 - on the fly! - While doing other things.

I love SCSI when it works as it should!

Zaq1

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 4
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 3/2/2002 10:29:35 PM   
Shakens

no probs here with my advansys scsi card and ultraplex40 & 12-10-32s in winXP

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 5
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 3/4/2002 4:02:02 AM   
Zaq1

It is a controller problem! I also have the 29160 controller, and I tried to switch it with a simple adaptec 2906 and it works.

I have contacted adaptec with this issue, and hopefully they will come up with a solution. When they do i will post the result here!

Zaq1

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 6
RE: New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! - 3/4/2002 2:32:15 PM   
ntloser

I fixed it by installing the Win 2k drivers on XP!!

(in reply to Zaq1)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> New info on multiple buffer-underruns in XP! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI