CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What Media to use? Please help!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 635 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What Media to use? Please help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Media to use? Please help! - 1/22/2002 11:02:31 AM   
glenm887

I've always found Kodak discs to be very good. I also use Princo's because the dye seems to work in stand alone DVD Players that can't play CD-R. However, the Princos don't work in my PS2 too well.

I found some called White Label Datasafe on www.121cdr.co.uk

are these any good?

can somebody also check the site that i mentioned and recommend me some good media. Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: What Media to use? Please help! - 1/23/2002 4:53:01 AM   
Garry Heather

I'm a fan of SVP Communications - I've had quite a lot of stuff from them, including a recent "free sample" of the disc you specify.

From that ONE EXAMPLE (hardly a scientific test sample, but that's all I can base my findings on) it's a typical Ritek. My Yamaha CRW3200E rejected writing to the disc at 24x and throttled back to 16x - far short of the "certified" speed of 32x. Since you mention DVD players, I'm assuming you're interested in things like VideoCD's and audio applications, so here are my findings regarding that (I burned it as an audio CD at maximum speed).

My Sony DVP-S535 DVD player likes Princo type 8's as far as CD-R playback goes, and the "White Label" was rejected by my player - so it won't work for VCD's either in my case. It works in all my audio CD Players that handle CD-R's, however it seems a little prone to skipping in the car but as I say, my experience suggests a typical Ritek ! They seem to have improved a little recently, but I only ever use those for short term data storage anyway these days following a bad experience I had once regarding a sizable quantity of "unstable" unbranded media from Ritek, and several instances of highly accelerated aging of "branded" discs that also originated from them.

In fairness to these discs, I do not know how reliable they will be in the long term, nor have I done any BLER tests on them. As far as the recording speed goes, to date I have only found one disc that was rated at 24x or above and has actually been recorded at that speed in my recorder (A TDK Reflex), so I think my drive is very fussy about the media it uses at such speeds (which is probably a good thing). So far I tend to use a considerable quantity of the Princo discs since they work really well for me and I can confirm from my experience that the new generation used on the unbranded "Datasafe" discs also from Princo work just as well, but again do not burn in my setup any higher than 16x. It might be worth giving them a try in case the formulation is slightly different from your other Princo discs, but I suspect it isn't.

I am also using a lot of the unbranded "Precision" discs for data at the moment and they seem to be highly compatible when it comes to reading them back in a CD-ROM - very high reading rates all round so far, but not up to the Princo standards when it comes to my picky DVD player or CD Walkman, which rejects them almost immediately.

I would suggest investing in a couple of their "sample packs" - and to take advantage of paying carriage already to justify the free sample of the "White Label" disc. If you get a couple of packs, try writing one pack as audio and one as data and see which discs, if any, seem to work better for you. Try also getting your hands on CDR Identifier, which although a bit hit or miss because it reads the ATIP information which isn't always accurate, will give you an indication of who REALLY made that blank !

Don't forget also that you might find better results recording at different speeds and so on - for example, I had a nasty experience with an oldish TEAC 6x recorder and some BASF (CMC Magnetics) discs that were supposed to be good up to 8x but were totally unreadable on everything but my writer if recorded any faster than 2x. Yak !!

Don't forget for DVD use, you might have some success with CD-RW's - try some of the 69p high speed Princo's mentioned elsewhere on their site... bargain price, seem reliable, and loved by my DVD player - but then it has never rejected any brand of CD-RW I have fed it.

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,

Garry.

(in reply to glenm887)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What Media to use? Please help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI