CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

When to use Amplify Weak Sectors   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1309 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> When to use Amplify Weak Sectors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/21/2002 10:43:58 AM   
jrouer

The subject pretty much says it all! I have the 24x plextor and lite-on, and as everyone here knows they both make working copies of SD2 protected games. I've had success with the amplify weak sectors on and off, so my question is when is it proper to use this feature and is it neccessary when your burner supports the SD2 protection(my assumption would be no because both of mine work with or without the feature)?

Post #: 1
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/21/2002 10:48:39 AM   
netman

your assumption is correct. aws is for burners that won't produce working sd2 copies on their own. if your burner will do correct efm encoding then aws is totally unnecessary. i don't need it with my liteon 24x but it does allow my mitsumi 4804 and 4805 to produce good sd2 copies.

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 2
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/24/2002 8:08:44 AM   
jrouer

So will the amplify weak sectors feature work with every drive or only certain ones. And one last question, will the sd2 successful copies made with amplify weak sectors on, be able to be played in a regular cd-rom

Thanks again

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 3
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/24/2002 5:38:48 PM   
netman

aws will not work with every drive. it is said that if the drive is capable of copying sd1 then it will do sd2 in conjunction with aws. the earlier hp/sony drives will not work with aws. it seems to work well with plextors and mitsumis. and yes, if aws works with your burner then the copy works in any cdrom.

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 4
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/25/2002 2:41:21 PM   
RobsTV

Is there any reason NOT to use AWS?
Also, how about Read SubChannels. Any reason NOT to use those?

While I have not tried AWS with LiteOn, (just changed region to enable, thanks) I did have both Read SubChannel Data and Audio tracks checked when backing up a few SD2 CD's. I realize Read SubChannel is not needed with SD2. Backups were fine either way, and speed was not affected. So on first glance, it would seem to always leave Read SubChannel boxes checked. Correct? Will AWS perform the same way? (no affect on performance if not needed).

Edited by - RobsTV on 01/25/2002 14:42:33

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 5
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 1/25/2002 5:45:10 PM   
netman

quote:

Is there any reason NOT to use AWS?
Also, how about Read SubChannels. Any reason NOT to use those?

While I have not tried AWS with LiteOn, (just changed region to enable, thanks) I did have both Read SubChannel Data and Audio tracks checked when backing up a few SD2 CD's. I realize Read SubChannel is not needed with SD2. Backups were fine either way, and speed was not affected. So on first glance, it would seem to always leave Read SubChannel boxes checked. Correct? Will AWS perform the same way? (no affect on performance if not needed).

i sort of agree with you, rob, although i have read posts by others that differ. in the past i would check fast error skip and read both subchannels not matter what kind of cd i was copying and it seemed to work just as well. i have burned cds with my liteon 24x with aws enabled and it didn't cause any problems. one problem people have with these techniques is additional read time or a larger image file. i'm not really concerned with either.

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 6
RE: When to use Amplify Weak Sectors - 2/10/2002 1:39:43 PM   
jrouer

I tried the AWS feature on my TDK 16x10x40XA and it didn't work. Just thought I'd add that. Thank you to all that replied for the advice and info. I didn't have any SD1 protected games to try with the TDK, but my assumption based on what was told to me below is that it wouldn't work either. THANKS AGAIN!!!

(in reply to jrouer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> When to use Amplify Weak Sectors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI