CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1291 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 1/13/2002 1:34:41 PM   
soberer

I have a liteon 24x10x40, 1.02b i believe. I've had problems with the cd-drawer ejecting on power up since I got it. I haven't proven it scientifically, since once I get it working I just leave my PC running but it does seem if I boot up into windows with the power disconnected from the cd-rom, shut down, reconnect the power then start back up again it is ok. I get the same results on both of my PC's (on has an ABIT KT7A 1.2ghz T-Bird, the other is an older EPoX EP-MVP3G-M 500mhz AMD K6-2). I would appreciate an e-mail with individual solutions sobererr@yahoo.com thanks.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 33
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/12/2002 3:39:12 AM   
Bud-man

all abit owners load the latest via 4 into 1 drivers and then load the ide miniport driver 3.14

http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 34
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/12/2002 9:10:44 AM   
Orbik

Stop thinking that the tray ejecting problem is specific to Abit, because all others brands of board have the same problem, theres just a correlation on the forum, that's all.

I own a Asus A7V and I also have the same prob, and it does the same trick on all my others mobo.
It also eject the tray when not plugged on the ide cable, so stop thinking that is a mobo related problem !

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 35
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/13/2002 8:37:57 AM   
RobsTV

quote:

Stop thinking that the tray ejecting problem is specific to Abit, because all others brands of board have the same problem, theres just a correlation on the forum, that's all.

I own a Asus A7V and I also have the same prob, and it does the same trick on all my others mobo.
It also eject the tray when not plugged on the ide cable, so stop thinking that is a mobo related problem !

While I can not dispute what you say, I can say that changing the motherboard from Abit KT7A to Epox 8KTA3Pro instantly solved the problem....... I had been using the Abit for over 6 months with a Sony 8x4x32, and no problems. I can also add that I put the Abit in another system, then added a Cendyne 24x (built by AOpen) in that Abit system. Cendyne(AOpen) was not regonized by the Abit until I booted with IDE cable disconnected, then reconnecting and rebooting. Something is definetly up with Abit boards, and looks like some other brands as well. But the Epox had no such problems.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 36
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/13/2002 10:31:02 AM   
jjquin

I had a problem while building my new system yesterday. Everything was working fine until I installed my SoundBlaster Live card. The LiteOn 24x was not recognized on boot and the light on the drive was on all the time.

I fixed the problem by moving the SoundBlaster Live from PCI slot 3 to PCI Slot 2.

Configuration
Abit KR7A-RAID
Athlon 1900*
512MB Micron DDR

IDE 0 - Master LiteOn 24X CDRW
IDE 1 - Master DVD-ROM

Raid - WD 80GB

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 37
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/17/2002 8:37:07 AM   
tbige

Lite-on has a patch that fixes this problem.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 38
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/17/2002 1:43:29 PM   
ardee

URL please??

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 39
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/18/2002 11:53:04 AM   
Orbik

quote:

It's really interesting to give such an information without an URL or something that could help to find it...

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 40
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/19/2002 8:08:52 AM   
RobsTV

quote:

quote:

It's really interesting to give such an information without an URL or something that could help to find it...

Why post another URL? There are already several posts that point to this info, and explain the patch or firmware update. So far looks like it has corrected about 95% of Liteon users that run on Abit boards. Of course there is still that 5% with other problems, but we Abit owners learn to live with stuff like that. I RMA'd my KT7A, and the new board now sees the Aopen and LiteOn CDRW just fine, without any CDRW firmware updates. But, I figured as much, since swapping from Abit to Epox fixed the LiteOn CDRW issue, this clearly showed that the problem was with the Abit. Looks like Abit has corrected the issue on there boards now. RMA those suckers.

Abit is not totally to blame here though. It seems as though the Abit's maintain a voltage charge in some components when powered down, while other motherboard makers bleed this voltage off rapidly. Some CDRW's also seem to have the ability to bleed this voltage off, but the LiteOn does not appear to be one of these. Perhaps the new LiteOn firmware somehow enables the CDRW to bleed off more of this residual voltage better, which helps most Abit boards? Throw into this mix a power supply with poor regulation qualities, and it is easy to see why some parts have issues. As stated earlier, my AOpen CDRW also required special cable disconnect boot procedure to get working in the Abit prior to RMA'ing the Abit.

For a long list of problems and fixes that the Abit has with many different drives, check out:
http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/faqdisks.html
In addition, those with Raid should check out this as well:
http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/faqhpt370.htm
But of course this is a site all Abit owners are already very familiar with.

Or simply do a search of all CDRW problems with Raid boards:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=raid+and+cdrw&hl=en&start=10&sa=N
You'll notice the Abit's are the vast majority of problem childs, with many CDRW's not just LiteOn's.

The reason why LiteOn's name pops up frequently is because they sell more drives than most other manufacturers.

Edited by - RobsTV on 02/19/2002 08:50:21

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 41
RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! - 2/20/2002 10:33:35 PM   
Tremo

So far no problems here.

KG7-Raid w/latest 68 BIOS
XP1800+
512M Crucial DDR
LS-120 on primary master
LiteOn LTR-32123 as secondary master
LiteOn LTD-163 as secondary slave
Maxtor 40G (x2) on the RAID channels

Rips and burns like a champ, just not on the fly.

(in reply to pmcx9)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: ABIT and LITeON = problems - U have been warned! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI