CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1528 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/22/2001 5:25:14 AM   
OC-Freak

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-24102B/USER/R245S54.zip

1. Reduce failure rate when burning.
2. Fit for new hardware design.
* Note: New hardware with 5S50~5S9F,
can't be flash back to 5S00~5S4F.

Expect a test from me soon!!!!

Post #: 1
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/22/2001 8:01:54 AM   
john

Go for it!

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 2
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/22/2001 9:03:39 AM   
arklab

HUH ??!?!!!

WHAT new hardware design?
WHAT 5S50~5S9F??? And for that matter, 5S00~5S4F??????

I got my drive the FIRST day it was released in the US.
That was firmware 5S01.
Then it was 5S04, 5S07, 5S0D, etc.

I wish these guys would hire better translators!

Anyway, Thanks Freak & John

PS: Hey, Freak, does the DOS back-flash to 5S07 still work, or is this the end of that?

And Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

Edited by - arklab on 11/22/2001 09:10:57

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 3
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/22/2001 9:52:57 AM   
CDR Overclocker

This firmware is designed for the new batch of LTR-24102B that has a different hardware layout from the previous ones. It is only applicable for drives with firmware 5S5x - 5S9x. Do not try to update it to drives with firmware 5S0x - 5S4x, which most of us have.

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 4
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/22/2001 10:16:36 AM   
OC-Freak

Wrong.

It also works on older drives!!!

But newer drives shipped with 5S5x firmware which is the newer revision won't work with the older firmwares(before 5S5x)!!!!!!!

My drive still works at least......

Preparing a small test for you all......

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 5
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/23/2001 3:38:23 PM   
HeXiDeciMaL

Hmm whatz new about the new batch of LiteOns? Better laser?

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 6
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/24/2001 3:29:02 AM   
digi

Maybe the only thing new is the downgrade flash prevention?

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 7
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/24/2001 7:13:57 PM   
Todde

Hi

Sorry for my bad english.

I bought my Liteon 24102B today.

First I want to update Firmware 5S07
to the new one from LiteONit.com
When I start the UpdateProgramm it ask me if it do it.
I click on "yes" and then my Win98 seems to hang up and nothing going on. What do I false?

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 8
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/24/2001 10:12:21 PM   
Jim Middleton

Disable DMA, boot, reflash.

Finish flash, boot.

Enable DMA.

Boot.

Your done.

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 9
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/26/2001 10:56:03 AM   
samois

I look forward to your test results...
Particularly in relation to SD2 and laserlock

I have to confess, I'm worried.

We have been here before at Plextor.

Macrovision (allegedly) leant on the nice Plextor folks to persuade them to produce drives (like most other folks) that had the EFM problem. Suddenly we found that the old firmwares were removed from the website, and that poor unfortunates who 'upgraded' to new firmwares suddenly discovered a new effectiveness to SD2. Only the lucky folks who had downloaded their original firmware as a backup were saved...
...New drives apparently don't take the old firmwares even if you can ge them.

Have Lite-on been got at? Or is this new revision music to our ears? (or speed to our copiers)

Incidentally... the group suggests that DMA should be on. Why is this, and why is it not the default if it is a good idea?

Cheers D
P.S. I agree that Windows ME is bin-fodder. Win98SE is what you want

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 10
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/26/2001 6:15:48 PM   
someoneoknow

WTF?!
samois

Its people like you that go around spreading useless rumours! If you want to go somewhere where people know alot and not just give into your pathetic conspiracy theories go to www.welcome.to/cloneclinic

People like you are like drinking bad coffee in the morning!

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 11
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/26/2001 6:20:23 PM   
HeXiDeciMaL

Well, i've made a 1:1 copy of Max Payne which has SD2 and it works 100% with firmware 5S54. The copy was from a backup tho, that might have affected it.

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 12
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/26/2001 9:31:07 PM   
Atreus

So should we upgrade? I'm running 5s0f currently.

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 13
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/27/2001 10:35:29 AM   
nicki98.freeserve.co.uk

someoneoknow bit strong

lots of people got worried by the plex tla 0000 firmware 1004

ok it was a myth but most people got caught up in the net, all but

those who where in a position to test multiple drives

oh yea i find this forum just as useful as clone clinic

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 14
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/27/2001 8:27:21 PM   
someoneoknow

nicki98.freeserve.co.uk

I know its a bit strong. And I know about those things with the plex's.

But the point of the matter is that these people like "samois", here go around stating & starting rumours as if they were facts without any evidence. Which makes me quite frankly, sick to the stomach!

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 15
RE: NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 - 11/28/2001 3:10:38 PM   
samois

Someoneoknow

Your a bit headstrong and aggressive aren't you
Quick to form conclusions?

I fully accept that what I posted may be incorrect
It was however a researched piece of information from CD-Media World
...and was compiled by one of the alledged authorities on SD2

I confess this chap's expertise exceeds mine, and I do not own a Plextor writer, but my concern over the fimware upgrade was genuine

As to drinking too much coffee it would seem that perhaps you are the fellow with too much testosterone of caffeine.

For the information of the polite and interested below there follows a transcript of the relevant section of the article... which is interesting in any event for those who wonder what SD2 is about
First, let me explain why it is so difficult to make a fully working backup of a SafeDisc2-protected CD...

>>>Begin quote<<<
On CDs protected with "normal" SafeDisc, you have an area of about 10000 sectors where there are always unreadable sectors followed by some readable and so on. This grouping changes from CD to CD and is it's typical SafeDisc fingerprint that is checked by the protection-code inside the executable. This fingerprint can simply be re-produced by writing the image in RAW mode.
SafeDisc2 now also has such an area but also some groups of so-called "weak" sectors. Why are they called "weak"? Well, it seems that these sectors can the read without problems form the original CD, but when trying to read them again from a copy they suddenly seem to be damaged and sometimes can only be read with the second or third attempt - and sometimes not at all! How can this be??
To understand this, you must know that all data is "scrambled" before it is written. Scrambling in this case means that every byte is XOR'ed with a certain value that changes from byte to byte. This is done to prevent so-called "uniform bit-patterns". But if you scramble such a weak sector, exactly that case occurs that should be prevented: You get an uniform bit-pattern like this one: 0x58, 0x59, 0x58, 0x59, ...
So why are these uniform patterns a problem? For some technical reason which would take too long to explain here, all bytes are encoded into 14 bit each right before they are sent through the laser and burned on CD. This encoder is called "EFM encoder". This EFM-encoder may (although it shouldn't if it has been implemented error-free) have problems with uniform bit-patterns that may result in damaged data.
It seems that the writers of certain manufacturers have big problems with this. The burned weak sectors can only be read in the burner itself or not at all...

What's the conclusion of this?

First thought is, that this is a real hardware problem. Yep, sounds quite logical... but only quite!
If it really would be a hardware-problem, why can these sectors then be read in the burner? If the EFM-encoder would have messed the data, you won't be able to read this sector with any drive - including the writer itself.
Also there's something very strange regarding the firmware releases and the approach of SafeDisc2: It seems that this "bug" has been implemented with full intense in newer firmware-releases of some major CDR manufacturers! Affected by this are as far as I know Plextor, Sony and Teac. There seems to be an unholy "marriage" between Macrovision (the developers of SafeDisc2) and these manufacturers...
How I can prove this claim? Well, I did some tests here with my Plexwriter 1210TA: I downgraded the firmware to version 1.01 (which I luckily kept on my HD) and suddenly the writer was able to re-produce these weak sectors like a charm!
Not enough proof? Ok, here we go: I tested with various firmware releases for this writer and figured out, that firmware revision 1.04 seems to be the last "good" release. What a chance that Plextor has removed all revisions below 1.05 from their web page...
And another proof: Newer revisions of this writer (recognizable by a TLA number other than 0000) have been protected against such a firmware downgrade. You won't be able to flash a revision lower than 1.05 to the internal eeprom...
Somebody now discovered that the old firmware revisions still seem to exist on Plextor's servers. But somehow the file-size has changed. When a normal firmware-update package had about 530 kb, these packages only have about 440kb now... is this pure chance or did the guys from Plextor remove/change some stuff in these old revisions? Strange, strange...

So what can we do against this?

Try to get an "original" firmware-package rather from somebody who has stored all old revisions somewhere than from the manufacturers website and flash it to your drive. If you're lucky and the downgrade works you may be able to copy SafeDisc2 now without problems...
But also if this works this can only be an intermediate solution! It can't be the golden way that the user has to downgrade his firmware to a lower revision that may contain serious bugs and eventually has less functionality!
Let's show companies like Plextor that they can't treat us like that! Write them email about what you think about this and tell them that this would be the last drive you have purchased from them if they don't change their manners...
>>>end quote<<<

(in reply to OC-Freak)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> NEW firmware for LTR-24102B version 5S54 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI