CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Use Windows Applications on Linux Using Emulation .   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1414 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Use Windows Applications on Linux Using Emulation . Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Use Windows Applications on Linux Using Emulation . - 9/1/2009 6:36:13 AM   
astra

While Linux offers a robust set of applications sometimes, for whatever reason, users believe that they cannot part with their apps from other platforms. In this Linux.com series, you are being introduced to the various ways you can get Windows, or Windows-equivalent, software on your Linux machine. The first entry, "Open Source Equivalent Applications for the new user", introduced you to the world of open source software that might very well meet your needs that have been typically met by closed-source, proprietary software.

If this list still didn't fit the bill, the next article introduced two different means to solve the problem of keeping Windows applications. That article, Emulation, or Virtualization: Which is Right for You?, highlighted two very important technologies to Linux: emulation and virtualization. Both technologies offer the ability to help you run Windows applications on a Linux system. Both technologies, however, are not for everyone. Each has their pros and cons. But no matter which way you lean, either emulation or virtualization, you will find yourself able to run applications you were unable to run on Linux before.

In this entry to the series, I will introduce you to emulation. Now emulation is a sort of umbrella term that includes some technologies that would rather not be labeled as emulators. One tool, in particular, states that case very clearly in its very acronym. The acronym "WINE" stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. But don't let the acronym fool you, WINE does help to "emulate" the Windows environment. The previous article should help you understand what WINE does. This article will help you to get applications installed and working with the help of both WINE and Crossover.

What is Crossover? Crossover is a tool created by Codeweavers that packages WINE in such a way that makes it much easier for the end user to install applications with WINE. But before we get into Crossover, let's take a look at installing and using the tool that makes it possible - WINE.
More reading:

http://linux.com/news

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Use Windows Applications on Linux Using Emulation . Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI