CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Security vendors team up against fake antivirus.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1273 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Security vendors team up against fake antivirus. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Security vendors team up against fake antivirus. - 7/16/2009 11:46:02 AM   
astra

Security software vendors hope to tackle the growing number of fake antivirus products circulating on the internet by creating a public list of legitimate vendors and programs.

Run from the website of the Common Computing Security Standards Forum (CCSS), an organisation set up in March of this year by Comodo CEO and chief security architect, Melih Abdulhayoglu, the purpose is to give ordinary internet users something with which to check programs and publishers before buying software from the internet.

In recent times, the phenomenon of scareware anti-malware programs - which dupe users into believing that their PCs are infected with malware when they are not - has grown into a significant sector in the online crime world. Typically, the bogus programs ask for a licence fee to ‘clean' malware, and in the worst cases even install real malware on a victim's PC.

A wide range of vendors are named on the provisional list, including the big names, Microsoft, Symantec, Trend Micro and McAfee , with smaller vendors such as Kaspersky Lab, Check Point, Panda, Sunbelt Software, Fortinet, and Webroot, also prominent. The CCSS was confident that it had involved "95 percent" of legitimate software security vendors, Abdulhayoglu said.
More reading:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Security vendors team up against fake antivirus. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI