CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What to expect from the next version of Ubuntu.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1031 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> What to expect from the next version of Ubuntu. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What to expect from the next version of Ubuntu. - 7/9/2009 8:59:32 AM   
astra

The great thing about Linux distro development, when compared with OS X or Vista, is that the whole process is transparent. You can see at any stage what the developers are planning, and even download the latest build of your favourite distribution.

Ubuntu is no different, and the next version, out in October, is going to be called the Karmic Koala. You can generally get an inclination of what Ubuntu is going to feel like from the name, and we think the Karmic Koala is going to be more of an interim release than a major overhaul.

Unless you happen to run a data centre, that is. "A good Koala knows how to see the wood for the trees, even when her head is in the clouds," said Mark Shuttleworth with the announcement of Koala. "Ubuntu aims to keep free software at the forefront of cloud computing by embracing the APIs of Amazon EC2, and making it easy for anybody to set up their own cloud using entirely open tools."

So, our Koala 's going to have his head in the clouds. And more importantly, it's only going to be of limited use to normal desktop users.
More reading:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> What to expect from the next version of Ubuntu. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI