CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Google to launch Chrome operating system.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 555 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Software News >> Google to launch Chrome operating system. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Google to launch Chrome operating system. - 7/8/2009 5:00:13 AM   
astra

Not content with giving Microsoft a serious bruising with the Chrome browser, the internet giant is now looking to take customers and profit away from Microsoft with an all-new operating system aimed at netbooks, Google Chrome OS.

Described as a 'natural extension' of the Google Chrome browser, Google Chrome OS is 'an open source, lightweight operating system' that's ideally suited to smaller notebooks - the idea is that you turn on your netbook and you're online in just a few seconds, no need to load up all the things you don't need before you start browsing. Google also claims its new OS will effectively be virus-free, a complete redesign of the security architecture leaving viruses, malware and security updates as ancient history. We'll believe that one when we see it.

The OS is app-based, so developers just need to write for the web to get an app to work on the Chrome platform. Not only that, Google says all web apps for Chrome will also work on Windows, Mac and Linux (and vice versa). Effectively offering the largest userbase for any platform, which is certain to tempt in the boffins from day one.

If you are thinking 'sounds a bit like Android', well, so did we. But Google is at pains to point out that this is a very different beast, with Android designed to be used on everything from phones to netbooks, while Chrome OS is for 'for people who spend most of their time on the web'. People like us if you like, who probably browse, have webmail, listen to Spotify, use Twitter and so on, but who don't want to wait for a computer to boot up a succession of programs and apps we just don't need. Like the browser version, this is all about speed. If you want to use serious applications, like professional graphics packages for example, it's unlikely to be for you.

It sounds promising, but the real test for Google Chrome OS is when customers gets hands-on with it. That's likely to be in the second half of 2010, with Google already in talks with various hardware makers about getting the Chrome OS pre-installed. We suspect it might be appearing at the trade shows much more quickly. CES 2010 perhaps? Quite possibly.

http://www.t3.com/

Post #: 1
RE: Google to launch Chrome operating system. - 5/30/2013 4:09:39 AM   
bluy

This post was a 2009 one. And now it's 2013. Still Google has not released such a thing. But they have an unofficial site to get more information about their next activity. I believe there new operating system can make a big revolution in the mobile and web industry.

< Message edited by Admin -- 5/31/2013 6:22:45 AM >

(in reply to astra)
Post #: 2
RE: Google to launch Chrome operating system. - 7/2/2013 7:59:16 AM   
stevenburn

Google Chrome Os is a Linux-based working framework composed by Google to work solely with web provisions. Google reported the working framework on July 7, 2009 and made it an open source venture, called Chromium Os, in November 2009.

(in reply to astra)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Software News >> Google to launch Chrome operating system. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI