CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Cisco lands deal to fit out Clearwire network.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1191 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Cisco lands deal to fit out Clearwire network. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cisco lands deal to fit out Clearwire network. - 5/14/2009 11:19:34 AM   
astra

Cisco Systems has secured a deal to provide network hardware for Clearwire's planned US WiMax network.

The company said that it had struck a deal to provide the IP Next-Generation Network, which will serve as the core for the new WiMax deployment. Cisco will also begin work on WiMax-enabled consumer devices.

Clearwire has been looking to establish a national broadband network in the US since it was acquired by Sprint in December 2008. The service is currently limited to a handful of test projects in cities such as Baltimore and Portland.

Wireless broadband is a growing market in the US, which has traditionally lagged behind other nations in the adoption of wireless networks due in large part to the country's physical size and dispersed population. Similar systems are planned for Europe.

Cisco and Clearwire hope to have the WiMax network established in some 80 cities throughout the US by the end of next year.

In addition to the infrastructure for the new network, Cisco is hoping to exploit the market by producing WiMax-enabled routers and networking equipment for its own customers.

"Clearwire's ecosystem of partners, coupled with our all-IP next-generation network, will deliver a true mobile broadband experience," said Ned Hooper, Cisco's senior vice president of corporate development and consumer business.

"In addition, incorporating WiMax into our products will help enable people to move freely throughout the US, while maintaining continuous connectivity to personalised applications and services."

http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/2242245/cisco-lands-deal-outfit

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Cisco lands deal to fit out Clearwire network. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI