CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 712 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/5/2008 1:53:06 PM   
harper

I have a DVD-RAM drive which started to misbehave after being used extensively on 11/1/2008. I'm sorry I'm not in front of my home computer so I can't list the make or model. Yesterday, whenever blank media was inserted (CD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL) it tried to spin up but I got the Windows error message F:\Drive not accessible. The drive would, however, read audio CD-R, video DVD-R and DVD+R. My DVD+/-RW E:\drive would read blank media so I could still back up. The device manager indicated that the device was running properly and had the most recent available driver installed.

I switched both drives from CS. The DVD+/-RW E:\ drive at the end of the IDE cable was made master and the DVD-RAM F:\ drive was made slave. No change. I uninstalled the DVD-RAM drive and reinstalled to update the driver. No help.

I rolled back to a C:\ image I made with DriveImageXML from 9/20/2008. Everything worked fine with that. Anything that you know that I might be able to repair so I can go back to my 11/4/2008 version of the C:\ drive?

Thanks in advance. This really stumps me.

I see the light but where's the end of the tunnel?
Post #: 1
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/18/2008 10:19:17 PM   
harper

Did I post this in the correct forum? This problem really stumped me. I had to roll back to that earlier image and then update everything to get the drive to work.

(in reply to harper)
Post #: 2
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/19/2008 10:13:17 AM   
SithTracy

Sorry... right place... I don't get online as much as I used to to answer questions in the forum... Forum activity is probably at an all time low unless you're a spammer.  Glad you got it sorted out... 

(in reply to harper)
Post #: 3
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/21/2008 8:14:21 PM   
harper

Do you happen to know what might have caused this problem? Part of the OS that went missing perhaps? It was a weird and highly selective problem.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 4
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/21/2008 10:17:58 PM   
SithTracy

I would have probably started with deleting the IDE channels from the Device Manager and rebooting and letting Windows redetect... or scan the system for a root kit.

(in reply to harper)
Post #: 5
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/22/2008 6:42:41 PM   
harper

Thanks. I should give that a try. If I do that Windows has to find both HDD's and both optical drives again, yes? I have two HDD's on one IDE channel and two optical drives on the other.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

I would have probably started with deleting the IDE channels from the Device Manager and rebooting and letting Windows redetect... or scan the system for a root kit.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 6
RE: DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media - 11/23/2008 2:36:13 PM   
SithTracy

It will just re-detect the controllers and you will have to reboot.

(in reply to harper)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> DVD-RAM drive won't read blank media Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI