CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can not burn dvds...   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 887 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Can not burn dvds... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can not burn dvds... - 11/17/2007 12:46:00 AM   
Swango2002

I have two problems at oncve with two separate burners. I have the Hp 1040i 20x and the lite-on 160p6s. I bought the Lite-on from a friend used but when I installed it in my computer it doesnt read DVDs only CDs. The Nero drive info tool states that it is in fact DVD +/- R/RW but I put in several different DVDs but nothing will read. It does read any CDs I put in it though.
The problem with the Hp is that it will not burn copies of DVDs. It will make data DVDs using musicmatch  but I have tried DVD x-copy,  Clone DVD and the Nero re-encode tool.The re-encode tool will read and make .iso copies to my hard drive but when I try to write from any program it says write error or freezes up. I have emachines 2.93 ghz, 450 gigs of hard drive, and 1 gig of ram. I had an Hp 740i that made lots of copies with no problem for a long time, the 1040 was on sael for $50 so I upgraded now I cant copy any DVDs. I do have DVD43 installed for the copyright and reading isnt the on the 1040.
Post #: 1
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/17/2007 8:53:00 PM   
harper

You say you bought the LiteOn used. I don't know what OS you're using but is it possible that the driver is not istalled for this device? Did you get an installation CD with it? I have the same unit. I thought that some of the pre-XP operating systems needed to have the drivers installed. The latest firmware version for this drive is PS0B if you don't already have it.

< Message edited by harper -- 11/17/2007 8:57:03 PM >

I see the light but where's the end of the tunnel?

(in reply to Swango2002)
Post #: 2
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/21/2007 1:08:09 PM   
Swango2002

Yes I have the PS0B and flashed the drive, shows it was successful (still doesnt read any dvds, commercial burned or my own copies.)  I have been able to use Roxio 8 media creator to copy with my HP however, I have to reboot after every copied disc and each copy takes about 1.5 hours to compress and write to CD-r. DVD Xcopy took about 25 mins with an 8x burner and never had to reboot, only close the program and restart it each time.

(in reply to harper)
Post #: 3
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/21/2007 1:10:30 PM   
Swango2002

Oh and Im using the XP Home service pack 2....

(in reply to Swango2002)
Post #: 4
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/21/2007 6:50:18 PM   
MP3Mogul

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 314060
Last Review : April 16, 2007
Revision : 2.2
This article was previously published under Q314060
On This Page
SUMMARY
Symptoms of the problem
Methods to resolve the problem
Method 1: Guided Help to delete the registry entries
Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries
Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
Step 4: Restart the computer
Similar problems and solutions
SUMMARY
After you remove a program from your computer, you can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive successfully. The CD drive or the DVD drive does not appear. Or, you receive an error message when you try to access the drive. This article contains two methods to resolve this problem. One of the methods requires that you manually modify the Windows registry to remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry. You must restart the computer after you follow the steps in this article.
This article is intended for a beginning to intermediate computer user.
You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.
Back to the top
Symptoms of the problem
In Microsoft Windows XP, after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program, or after you remove a different program, you experience the following symptoms:• You cannot access the CD drive or the DVD drive by using My Computer.
• One of the following error messages appears when you view the CD drive or the DVD drive in Device Manager:
Error message 1
The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
Error message 2
A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).
Error message 3
Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19) 
• You receive an "error code 39" error message.
• A message that resembles the following appears in the notification area:
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) 
Back to the top
Methods to resolve the problem
Method 1: Guided Help to delete the registry entries
Note We recommend that you uninstall all CD recording or CD writing programs before you delete the registry entries. You can reinstall any programs that you use after you resolve this problem.
Guided Help is available to delete the registry entries that can cause CD access problems. Guided Help can automatically perform the steps for you.
The actions that this Guided Help performs can be undone after Guided Help is finished. To undo this Guided Help, run Guided Help again. On the Welcome page, click Undo this Guided Help, and then follow the instructions.
For more information about Guided Help, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
915092 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915092/) Description of Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
• You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help.
• You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.
You must first download Guided Help. To start, click the following link.
Download Guided Help
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/)
Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and permissions. Then, follow these steps.
Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.
Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.
Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.
Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.
Back to the top
Similar problems and solutions
For more information about a similar problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
320553 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/) CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 270008 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008/).
Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Back to the top
Keywords:  kbacw kbexpertiseinter kbceip kbhowto kbacwsurvey kbenv kb3rdparty kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb kbsound KB314060
Back to the top

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Swango2002)
Post #: 5
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/22/2007 12:00:15 AM   
Swango2002

Sorry that wouldnt apply to me as I can access the drive it will read cd's just not dvds although it is a lite-on dvd r/rw drive....and also I formatted the intire drive and started with a fresh copy of windows and would still not read dvds -still only cds....

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
RE: Can not burn dvds... - 11/22/2007 12:06:44 AM   
SithTracy

Replace the drive... DVD burners are dirty cheap these days.

(in reply to Swango2002)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Can not burn dvds... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI