CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1316 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case - 10/5/2007 7:36:17 PM   
icube001

A Minnesota woman must pay $220,000 to six music labels after a federal jury found on Thursday that she violated the U.S. copyright law by downloading music using P2P software.

Jammie Thomas is the first among more than 26,000 people sued by the world's most powerful recording companies to refuse a settlement after being slapped with a lawsuit by the Recording Industry of America and seven major music labels. Thomas was accused of the illegal sharing of more than 1,700 songs on peer-to-peer network Kazaa. However, rather than pursue Thomas for all 1,072 songs in the public folder found on Kazaa, she is being sued for sharing just 25 songs by Virgin Records, Capitol Records, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Arista Records, Interscope Records, Warner Brothers Records and UMG Recordings Inc.

Instead of paying a few thousand dollars to settle the suit, Thomas decided to spend upwards of 60,000 dollars in attorney's fees because she refuses to be bullied. She He argued that someone else could have easily hijacked her Internet address in order to upload songs on the Kazaa file sharing network.

Thomas was found guilty of copyright infringement and ordered to pay $220,000 to six music labels.

John Kennedy, chief executive of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industries, which represents record labels, told Associated Press that they were "reluctant litigators".

"We do everything possible to persuade people not to leave themselves exposed to litigation. We educate, we warn, we even try and settle before a case gets to court."

He said he hoped the fine would prove a deterrent to others.

"Our message is: we don't want to litigate - don't leave yourself exposed to litigation," he added.
Post #: 1
RE: RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case - 10/5/2007 8:32:27 PM   
MP3Mogul

25 Songs = 220,000.00?  Who are we kidding.  This is more than they pay an artist for an album completely.

Until someone wakes up and understands what is going on here is nothing more than wrongdoing, we will all suffer.

I stopped buying CD's a long time ago.  Most artists get 4 Cents (US) per CD (I was a recording artist) so I am well aware.  These people are getting rich and then richer off of downloaders.

Perhaps release CD's that have music people want to here, then they won't be downloading a song off of an album, because the rest of the album is trash.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to icube001)
Post #: 2
RE: RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case - 10/6/2007 8:21:34 AM   
SithTracy

Yeah... It's a damn shame.  $8,800 per song!  I'll bet the judge in the case took some payoff for that.

I don't buy many CD's anymore myself... It's gotta be damn good for me to purchase it.  Hard to find anything good with the crap they are putting on the market.  But crap sells because people settle for it.

There is some good Indie music out there... I really like the songs I have heard from a all girl band from Dublin, Ireland... Black Daisy.  Just wish I had time to browse for it.  I'm no kid anymore.  Gotta job and a family now.

MP3Mogul -Where can we find your music?  Don't know about anyone else, but I'd be interested in hearing your talent.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case - 10/6/2007 2:04:43 PM   
MP3Mogul

I'll see if I can dig up and old CD for you...

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 4
RE: RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case - 10/16/2007 1:30:58 PM   
DeaconFrost65

I am new here so please be patient with what is probably a stupid question about this matter.
How do they find you to know what you are doing? Do they randomly get on to P2P networks and follow a trail back to your computer or what?
I agree, there are very few CDs I would purchase anymore, I have to hear the entire thing before I will do it. I have ended up paying 21.99 + tax for what amounts to one or two decent songs and then the rest of them are crap. I want to know what I am getting before I get it.
Thanks, in advance for any info and patience with a newbie.

Smallville and Supernatural rule my world! Bones runs a close second :-)

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> RIAA Wins Illegal Music Download Case Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI