CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1627 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - 10/24/2007 10:22:53 PM   
SithTracy

If you have room for only one drive, it has to be the Samsung SH-S203B... it does pretty much everything I need it to do except jitter scan... See this thread.

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 17
RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - 10/25/2007 6:54:50 AM   
Dimitris32

Would samsung be equally good though for medium-quality media (single-layered)?  (Because you mentioned above that the Pioneer would give better quality burns in this scenario). 

Also, you mention that the Sammy would be good for burning at 16x, while the LG at 12x and below?  What do you mean by this?  Also, from what I read, here in the UK you don't get 16x media, just 8-12x, so would there be a benefit in having a drive that writes well at 16x?  And if so, would the resulting quality in burns between LG and Samsung be comparable, even if each of the drives burn at their preferred/optimal speeds?  (And do these two actually 'prefer' high, as opposed to medium quality media?) 

Bear in mind that I already have an old 32x Lite-On CD burner in my system, so I'll be using this for burning CDs  - or should I not?  Would the CD burning quality of these newer DVD burners be better than the Lite-On's?

< Message edited by Dimitris32 -- 10/25/2007 7:15:21 AM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 18
RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - 10/25/2007 8:29:24 AM   
SithTracy

I'm not one to buy and gamble with lower quality media.  That said, I have had some given to me... I got horrible scan results on the Samsung and LG, but my Plextor PX-755SA and Pioneer DVR-212D faired pretty well with acceptable results.  Now, it was DVD+R media (CMC if I recall)... the DVR-212D does not set the booktype to DVD-ROM so some older stand-alone's won't play back the discs anyway.  DVD-R media would be fine in these cases.  The Pioneer does well with -R media.  It comes to your approach.  If you buy the capable Pioneer drive, start buying -R media.

The type of media available to you should be the driving factor in your drive purchase.  I don't mean to confuse you, but there is no one drive that performs well with all brands and qualities of media.

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 19
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Pioneer DVR-212D & Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI