CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Need suggestions for a good drive   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1200 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Need suggestions for a good drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/25/2007 6:58:35 PM   
Zarxrax

I need to burn about 100-200 dvd's to hand out to people, and so I am looking for a quality burner that will be able to write discs without errors. I am a bit partial towards tayo yuden dvd-r media, but I can go with a different media type if it would work better with the drive. 
What about DVD-R vs DVD+R? DVD-R has better compatability doesn't it? This is a factor since I will be giving the discs out to people.
I would like to be able to burn at 16x due to the large quantity of discs, and I am also looking for a cheap price if possible.

What would be good for this situation?
Post #: 1
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/25/2007 7:57:45 PM   
SithTracy

If you plan on writing to -R media with Taiyo Yuden, a Pioneer DVR-112 (IDE) or 212 (SATA) would be good, and an LG GSA-H4x, H5x. or H6x would be a little better.

Pioneer has the advantage of better firmware development.

LG has the advantage to bitset/booktype +R media for... even better compatibility... Bitsetting your +R media to DVD-ROM is the most compatible.  Of course, I have several drives (three in each of my PC's)... Plextor's, LG's, Pioneer's, and BenQ's (DW1640 is still an outstanding drive 2 years later).

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 2
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/25/2007 9:06:12 PM   
Zarxrax

Thanks for the suggestions. The pioneer drive was one of the ones that I was looking at. The information about the +R bitsetting is interesting though, I think I may go with a drive that can do that. I will look into those LG models and see if they look good.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/25/2007 9:09:29 PM   
SithTracy

Neither drive is a good scanner... I still have Plextor's and BenQ's, but for scanners now, about your only option is LITE-ON.

If you are doing any DVD ripping, the Pioneer does not have riplock, the LG does.  But for roughly 30 bucks a drive, it might not be bad to pick up an LG and a Pioneer.

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 4
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/26/2007 2:13:24 PM   
Zarxrax

Hmmm... I do a lot of dvd ripping :(
I guess I could keep my current drive for ripping discs though, but it would be nicer to have it all in 1 drive. What is this "scanner" that you are talking about? I'm not familiar with this term.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/26/2007 3:25:18 PM   
SithTracy

Quality scanning... Plextor's, BenQ's, and LITE-ON's can do it with either PlexTools (Plextor), KProbe (LITE-ON), DVDInfoPro, or Nero CD-DVD Speed.

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 6
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 6/30/2007 8:49:19 PM   
Zarxrax

Alright, I've been researching a bit more, and have narrowed down my choices.
I want a drive that can do DVD+R media with bitsetting, and I want one that can record at 16x or higher with very high quality.

I see the LG GSA-H50N and LG GSA-H42N drives, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them. Further, I don't see reviews for either of them here on this site, so I really don't know what I'm getting with either one.

The Lite-On SH-16A7S looks very nice from there review I saw on here, and I really like that chart on it that shows a huge list of media with "digital errors within limits" :)   Problem is, thats an SATA drive and  my current PC only has IDE. Is there an IDE version of this drive available?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 7
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/1/2007 12:01:29 AM   
SithTracy

Not a big fan of LITE-ON DVD burners, but I'm sure there is an IDE version of the drive you are looking for.  I'm a recent SATA bandwagon jumper guy... basically because my new motherboard uses a Jmicron IDE controller.

One option for you might be a Pioneer DVR-112 (the IDE version of the 212).  You should be able to cross-flash it with Buffalo firmware to add DVD-RAM and +R bitsetting support.  I had my issues with the DVR-212D, but I am using it more and more with -R media and CD-R burning... I am really starting to like it.  (note, you will lose your warranty if you cross flash a drive, but they are so darn cheap now... who cares!!)

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 8
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/1/2007 12:45:05 PM   
Zarxrax

Hmmm, well I'm looking at the "burned media list" sections from the reviews of these drives, and what scares me about the pioneer is that not a single DVD+R media had digital errors within acceptable limits. Maybe I am putting too much weight onto this chart? Really, I just want to be able to have confidence that when I burn a lot of dvds and hand these out to people, they will be able to play them.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 9
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/1/2007 5:00:00 PM   
SithTracy

It was reviewed on an early firmware release.  Here is my thread on my intial thoughts on the DVR-212D.

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 10
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/1/2007 6:08:44 PM   
Zarxrax

Alright then, I think I'll go with the Pioneer 112 and Verbatim media. Thanks for your help!

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 11
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/7/2007 11:42:23 AM   
qz33

Are BenQs reallly that good? Would it be worth it to import one?

(in reply to Zarxrax)
Post #: 12
RE: Need suggestions for a good drive - 7/7/2007 11:59:07 AM   
SithTracy

BenQ's WERE that good, next to impossible to find s true BenQ (DW1620, DW1640, DW1650, DW1655)....  I still use a BenQ DW1640 in my kids system (A8N-SLI Deluxe).  It is pretty much used for scanning now.  Not sure I would pay to import one (if you could) one each of an LG and Pioneer can make up for burning quality and LITE-ON's are today's scanners.

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Need suggestions for a good drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI