CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Data Corruption and Recovery   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 640 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Data Corruption and Recovery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 3:27:41 AM   
topbar1

Greetings.
My 2 year old Lite-On 16x (16033s) stopped initializing loaded DVDs so I bought a new Lite-On 18x (LH18A1) and flashed it up to glog firmware.   Burning good new files to my new DVD, Nero CDSpeed scans show max PI errors under 280 and max PI failures under 4, which is good.  However, I’m having more difficulty with data recovered from DVDs burned on the old drive.
Some DVDs burned with my old drive won't initialize and others are barely readable (drive slows to 1x and takes 45 min to copy to hard drive.)  Scanning DVDs created on the old drive with Nero CDSpeed shows typical max PI Errors 1,000 (highest 4,000) and typical max PI Failures 60 (highest 600).  Mostly Maxell and Memorex, DVD+R and DVD+RW media.
Here’s the problem:  When I burn files recovered from corrupted DVDs, scans show typical max PI errors around 400 and typical max PI failures around 15—definitely high, and that’s scanning at 1x.   My question is what these failures of the recovered data mean to the integrity of my archive backup.  The small percentage of files I've tested seem to work fine, but scans clearly show the recovered files as damaged compared to fresh files.  I need to understand the degree of damage so I can decide what to do with my corrupted archive backup DVDs.  What condition are my recovered files in?
Thanks,
Jake

< Message edited by topbar1 -- 5/5/2007 10:46:59 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 10:21:50 AM   
SithTracy

Jake,

If this data is critical, consider using a better media (i.e. Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden).  Additionally, LITE-ON DVD burners are average at best.  LG's and Pioneer drives produce better burns in my opinion.  The LITE-ON drive is suited for scanning at best.  If you have the room in your rig, add an LG or Pioneer for your burns.  If you feel you don't want to invest in a new drive, consider the change in media.

Also if you can, post some visual representation of your disc scans... you should be able to upload files and embed them in your post.

Best of luck,

SithTracy

(in reply to topbar1)
Post #: 2
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 11:54:04 AM   
topbar1

The reason I didn't use a visual representation is I have so many DVDs corrupted that any one would mischaracterize the group.

What I want to know how to determine the integrity of data recovered from corrupted media.   Scanning DVDs containing non-previously corrupted files is within specification, however scanning DVDs containing recovered files from corrupted DVDs is ... not.  Does anyone know not about drives and media, but rather the integrity of data recovered from corrupted media?

< Message edited by topbar1 -- 5/5/2007 12:00:10 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 12:25:57 PM   
SithTracy

Try IsoBuster or BadCopy Pro to recover your data from defective DVD's/CD's.  I've personally used IsoBuster and am very happy with it; others here have used BadCopy Pro... I have not.  These software products are not free, but do recover lost data and are worth the money.

One of the things I do for my data is compare it using md5sums... There are utilities on the net that do this but I use GnuPG (OpenPGP) with this command and compare the disc version to the hard drive copy:

gpg --print-md md5 filename

(in reply to topbar1)
Post #: 4
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 6:01:51 PM   
topbar1

Operative word being 'compare', inferring that the archived files remained on my hard drive.   Fat chance.  Regarding data recovery software, you're missing the point that I'm not trying to throw unlimited amounts of time and money at a large yet poorly understood problem.

It is surprising that there is so much talent here leveraged to proclaim brand x drive or media one iota better than brandy y, as if the hardware and media worlds were static and the matter wouldn't be up for debate next week, yet no one has sufficient working knowledge about the practical meaning of PIE or PIF to shed a little light on one simple and practical application; namely, how can you use that information to help determine the quality of corrupted files and take an appropriate corrective course of action.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/5/2007 8:26:24 PM   
SithTracy

Look, I'm trying to help, but losing interest really fast.  What kind of data are we talking about (family pics from a digital camera -check the EXIF, zip archives - does the CRC check out, etc)?  Short of checking the files out for yourself, I can't help you.  If the discs are readable then you are in good shape, but if the scans are on the high side of PI failures, then it is time to try a better media.  Here is a link to a good scan.

You sure seem to expect a lot from a guy that is gaining nothing by trying to assist you on a weekend... and I am leaving to see Spider-Man 3 in a few... Best of luck to you and your problem... if it is a problem... Bottom line, data is good or data is bad... it is readable/useable or it is not.  If you are claiming the data is unusable form, don't blame me.   I'm not in a position to fix it and I'm sorry, I don't feel you are clearly explaining yourself...

Well, off to see the web-slinger.

(in reply to topbar1)
Post #: 6
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 5/12/2007 11:59:31 AM   
topbar1

There were two reasons I wasn't exlaining very well: first, I didn't understand everything clearly (which is why I sought to better understand the scope of the problem), and second, because all my testing lead to nothing but inconsistency.  The size of the problem swelled to every DVD I owned, which may have caused me to be frustrated.
Forums are very unique and interesting places in terms of established patterns for treating noobs, protocol, etc..  I was in some ways grateful; e.g., I was given no shortage of related ideas.  Looking back, maybe my expecations were not bore out, although I thought they were at the time.  No hard feelings.  I've since decided to pursure this matter by other means.  When I want to know the latest and greatest in the DVD/CD world (what seems to be the emphasis here,) I'll return.  That's valuable, but it's not what I'm after right now.  Thanks, and I hope Spidey met your expectations, although I understand that movie wasn't so simple, either.
Jake

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 7
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 6/8/2007 4:06:24 AM   
Nixen

Its really very difficult to unserstand from your post what actually you want.
If you are looking for recovery of your data from DVD/CD then you can try out Stellar Phoenix CDRom Data recovery Software.
Or if you are trying to make a point not to backup your data on DVD/CD which you have used then your point is noted.
As far as I am concerned I am using Sony CD to keep backup. I cannot take chance with my data.

Data Recovery

(in reply to topbar1)
Post #: 8
RE: Data Corruption and Recovery - 12/13/2007 2:28:05 AM   
topbar1

After opening up my DVD drive and blowing it out with compressed air in a can, Allsop lens cleaner and T-Y media, my Quality Scans are now consistently in the 95% or better range.  Exact same hardware, software, and install (very stable).  While the media was key, blowing out the heavy accumulation of dust and cleaning the lens probably helped quite a bit, in view of the drive's age. 

Not bad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by topbar1 -- 12/13/2007 2:31:42 AM >

(in reply to topbar1)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Data Corruption and Recovery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI